Finding Motivation

Options
Any advice or tips on how you stay motivated to start working out? I know I NEED to add exercise to my routine, both for weight loss and to better control my diabetes, but i feel so tired from the extra pounds and despise all the sweating/panting that even a brisk walk seems to elicit right now. What are some things that get you moving, even when you don't want to?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Move and your heart will follow.

You'll never regret having worked out. You will regret not doing it.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You just have to tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS" and remind yourself on a constant the reason why you are wanting to do it. It is way more thank just weight loss - Exercising come accompanied by a boost of energy, alertness, and an overall feeling of self accomplishment. Embrace those feelings and that is what will help you continue once you start. Any given day you just don't feel like doing so, give it 5 mins and you will find that you will not want to stop.

One second, minute, hour at a time that is all you can do.
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    Some people give themselves mini goals. If you have a lot of weight to lose it may seem out of reach at first. Reward yourself with non food items once you reach these mini goals. Also, reading the success stories on here really works too. Keep thinking about why you wanted to lose weight and that might help keep you motivated and focused. Good luck!
  • EmilyinPitt
    Options
    Some mental ploys I've used to get myself on the elliptical (and stay on it) are:

--> REALLY fast music: Almost my entire iPod list is high-intensity music, high-paced techno, or rock. Studies have shown that listening to high-paced music that you enjoy (think dance club music, techno, remixes, etc.) gets your heart racing, which can get you much more pumped and motivated to move.

--> Promise of a little post-exercise treat: Now, this has to be something that (1) you will really like, and (2) which you do NOT give yourself unless you exercise. It can vary if you like, or stay the same if you want stability. Some of mine have been (1) a trip to the tanning salon, (2) a well-earned sports massage, etc.

--> Complete distraction: At the gym where I go, they actually have a 'cardio-screening room' full of treadmills, ellipticals, and stairclimbers. The lights are low (not OUT, since exercising in total dark is dangerous), and there is a big movie screen. Unfortunately, the movies my gym picks usually stink, but I actually found that just having the lights down and a movie screen in front of my made me zone out on the elliptical, and I could get a lot done while barely noticing.

--> "Obligated" exercise to jumpstart: The way I got back into exercise was by making my graduation dependent upon it. I'm in law school and, while I only needed 9 law credits to graduate, I need to be enrolled in 10 credits to be a full-time student. So, I was allowed to take an undergraduate aerobic kick-boxing class that runs 60 minutes 2 times a week. My situation is a bit more extreme, but even just signing up for a class can create a sense of obligation that gets the ball rolling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was to get my workout clothes out the night before, and to put them someplace where I couldn't avoid them in the morning - on my desk chair, by the coffee pot, in the bathroom - whatever. And I would tell myself the night before that it's going to happen, no matter what, no excuses!

It didn't always work at first, but it did help, and now I still get my workout clothes out the night before and I workout every morning at home, before the rest of my family gets up.

You can do it!
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    what someone said above. mini goals are amazing.. if you set 1 goal and usually its PERFECT BODY.. then well its going to be a long long ride... set some mini goals.. they make you feel so good when you accomplish them... if its strength related.. hitting a heavy set.. or cardio releated.. running a 10k. little stuff like that will push you so far.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started c25k. I made myself go out running every other day for a week. Feeling oh so righteous about going out even in freezing temperatures. It turned into a habit very quickly. Now I am on week 4 and can't wait for the next run.
    If running isn't your thing (yet), you can use the program to improve your walking. Just walk faster during the intervals instead of running. Accomplishing each level and moving up is extremely rewarding.
    The thing is not to start out too extreme with a new routine. Small steps, small goals, small accomplishments. You build on that. It is also the best way to build up muscles and bones to avoid injury.
    I'm currently reading 'the beginning runner's handbook' it has tips on motivation, technique and a bit further in an exercise plan. I just grabbed it at the library a few days ago, to do some background reading to complement my c25k efforts. Ok, mainly I am looking for an appropriate set o stretching exercises. I hear they are at the end of the book :happy:

If you're not into running or walking or 'sportsy' kind of exercise, look into something like a bellydance class. It's more work than it looks like, but it is also incredibly feminine, and it's a great crowd...
  • Vanessa_lilia
    Options

--> Complete distraction: At the gym where I go, they actually have a 'cardio-screening room' full of treadmills, ellipticals, and stairclimbers. The lights are low (not OUT, since exercising in total dark is dangerous), and there is a big movie screen. Unfortunately, the movies my gym picks usually stink, but I actually found that just having the lights down and a movie screen in front of my made me zone out on the elliptical, and I could get a lot done while barely noticing.

ive never heard of this but its a really good idea the movie as a distraction and the lights dimmed for those who still dont feel comfortable excersizing at a gym
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Move and your heart will follow.

You'll never regret having worked out. You will regret not doing it.

Love that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options

ive never heard of this but its a really good idea the movie as a distraction and the lights dimmed for those who still dont feel comfortable excersizing at a gym

They used to do that a gym in the UK, Bristol, for spin classes, you work so much harder........... When the lights went back on, the mirrors where all steamed up xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been my motivation but the thing that has really worked for me is mini goals. I set them for myself ever Sunday. It's fun to exceed my own expectations.