Plant based-whole foods?

Options
I am getting back on track after losing over 100 pounds several years ago and then getting stuck in a rut. I am phasing out animal based products and so far I feel much better. Was wondering if there are any other users that also follow a plant based-whole foods diet?

Replies

• 1rayhamilton
    Options
    I'm vegan. It's so easy not eating animal based products (like I was 6 months ago)..the weight is just coming off!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. But I lost all of 147+ lbs prior so it's hasn't been a factor in any weight loss for me, but I feel so much healthier and so far it's been really good (6 months and counting)
  • kimdhsingh
    Options
    That is awesome for both of you! I have never been much of a meat eater but after losing about 100 pounds I am stuck, so I have phased out almost all animal based products and am starting to see results again. I am also seeing an amazing difference in how I feel.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Is there any vitamin supplements that you have to take when you don't eat animal based foods?
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Vegan here, too !!!
  • kimdhsingh
    Options
    The question about Vitamins is a great one...Typically (from what I have been told by my nutritionist) you can get everything except b12 as long as you eat a wide variety of fruits, veg, and whole grains. I take some others (Vit D) because of some absorption issues but plants contain all the vitamins and more that animal based products would. I would research further though.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Is there any vitamin supplements that you have to take when you don't eat animal based foods?

Most vitamins, etc. can be consumed through a varied diet, but some vegans choose to supplement their diet with B12.
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • meganlee85
    Options
    There are quite a plant-based/whole foods, dairy-free, gluten-free vegan recipes on this blog - http://eatsimpleeatfresh.blogspot.com

I ran the site when I was vegan, but started eating meat again and haven't updated since. (I still eat a plant-based diet with very little gluten or dairy, but have added some organic eggs and meats)
  • kimdhsingh
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I've phased out meat but still am eating a limited amount of organic eggs and cheese for the protein.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The question about Vitamins is a great one...Typically (from what I have been told by my nutritionist) you can get everything except b12 as long as you eat a wide variety of fruits, veg, and whole grains. I take some others (Vit D) because of some absorption issues but plants contain all the vitamins and more that animal based products would. I would research further though.

I have had problems with vitamin B12 deficiency in the past, related to a vegan diet. This was in the mid-1970's, before fortified foods like soymilk and meat analogues were introduced on the market. I would never mess with it again. The anemia can totally wipe you out.

I also think most people don't get enough vitamin D, so I supplement that too. It gets me through the winter in a much better mood!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-term vegetarian (was vegan for 15 years, but went back to ovo-lacto). I never used to have any problems with vitamin deficiency, but I've noticed that as I've gotten older, I can sometimes become anemic during my TOM. Now I take a multivitamin every day and take extra iron supplements during my TOM, and it really helps.