Power 90 Workout

Options
I would love to do P 90 X, but I know I am not ready for that. I am thinking about starting Power 90, but I am honeslty not sure if I can even handle that. Does anyone have experience with this program - especially guys with a lot of weight to lose. I want to get some opinions before I invest the money.

Thanks.

Replies

• o4joyed
    o4joyed Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not a guy, but my husband and I are doing power 90 right now. We bought P90X2 and I couldn't do most of the workout, so I bought power 90 hoping I could do some of the workout at least. My husband could do most of the P90X2, but agreed to do power 90 with me so we could do it together. The first phase has just 2 workouts, sweat and sculpt. The sweat workout is about 40 minutes long and is a cardio workout. The moves are simple and easy to modify if needed. For example one of the exercises is knee raises with arms in motion up and down. You can modify the move by just putting your hands palms down at waist level lifting knees. Another example is jumping jacks. Right now I'm large enough that jumping jacks are not happening, but I move side to side while doing the arm motions. It's quite basic, but even my hubby works up a sweat!

The sculpt section is about 30 minutes and can all be done with the resistance band that comes with the dvds. My hubby uses weights while I use the band and we are both toning up. Part of this workout is a series of push ups. I carry most of my extra weight on my top half so push ups are something I can't quite do yet either, so I do wall push ups. My hubby can do all the sculpt exercises, but he still feels like he's getting a workout. Btw, I weight 271 and hubby is in the low 200s.

We haven't even looked at the next dvd, just figured we'd check it out when we finished with this one. It is just 2 workouts that you alternate daily but that hasn't been a problem for us. While some may get bored I, like knowing what's coming next.

I will get to P90X eventually, but it was very frustrating to not be able to do so many of the exercises! I say go for power 90 and then reward yourself with P90X once you're in a place where you can do the workout!
  • krazykando
    Options
    My husband and I are doing the Power 90 workout. This is our 2nd round of it. The first time we did it he lost a little over 20 pounds. He is not a small guy and he is able to do the workouts with no problem. At first we did some of the modified moves but eventually were able to do the moves without modification. We have both had really good results with that program so I would recommend giving it a try.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also not a guy, but I started this monday, it's really not all that bad so far . And I am 228.8 lbs. I am definitely sore though, lol.
  • aimeelee76
    aimeelee76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing it. It is tough but not that bad. You can do it! Just do what you can and work your way up. Your endurance will improve each time you do it.
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes. you can certainly handle the first 2 workouts which you can do til you get the stamina for 3 and 4. I read somewhere that it is recomended 1 and 2 be used for up to 40 days....or until you feel ready for 3 and 4.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I plan on starting it Monday. Should be arriving in the mail today.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok...I have completed Day 10 of Power 90. Its going okay. I have had to modify a few moves and I hate the yoga part, but I seem to be getting better at it. The only thing is I am not losing the 2 pounds a week I should be losing. I guess that is muscle gain, but it is still a bit discouraging.
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am also doing Power 90 as well and I just finished day six. I am able to do most of the exercises but, like you, I am really not a fan of the yoga but I can see the benefit of doing it.

As far as weight loss is concerned I would be curious as to how much weight you are trying to lose and how much have you modified your diet since starting the program. Also, what is your intensity level in doing the exercises?

As for me, I have lost three pounds since starting Power 90 but I also have been sticking religiously to my daily calorie limits and I have been gradually amping up my efforts.

I am using Power 90 as a way to drop some weight and get back to exercise so that I can start doing p90x. I know some people have had some really extreme results with Power 90 but I will be pretty happy if I can drop around 20 pounds by the end of the three months. The impression I get is that p90x is where people really start to see the dramatic changes.