Daily percentage of Carbs/Fats/Proteins...?

Options
The "Calorie Breakdown" under the "Daily" tab (iPhone app) has the following recommended percentages of calories from each catagory:

-Carbohydrates: 55%
-Fat: 30%
-Protein: 15%

My questions is where do these percentages come from? Any reasoning behind it? Any nutritionists out there???

I recently read a book called "The Petite Advantage" by Jim Karas. It's a diet and exercise book for women of shorter stature (I'm 5'1"...and a half :D). I realize a lot of diet books are gimmicks but this one definitely helped me. I've lost about 14 lbs by LOOSELY following his dietary recommendations. When it comes down to it, I've just been eating less fat, more protein, and more high fiber carbs than I had been eating. And also counting calories on wonderful MFP! :) This book recommends the following percentages of calories from each catagory:

-Carbohydrates: 40%
-Fat: 25%
-Protein: 35%

The fat is not that different but, but boy are the carbs and protein! It's hard for me to get that much protein (not a fan of shakes, but a meat and egg eater).

I'm a runner (3-4 times a week 2.5 - 3 miles each time) and I do some strength training (weights and such 25 min, 3x a week). Anyone want to share their percentages or recommend some for me? Or is this even that big of a deal as long as I'm pretty balanced between the three?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i believe its the RDAs in the US - but i actually changed mine to 30carb/30fat/40 protein
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've based my percantages of off about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and and about 0.5 gram of fat per body weight. The rest is carbs. That makes my percentage 32% protein, 45% fat, and 23% carbs. Works quite well for me so far.
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    its a standard nutrient breakdown. There are actual ranges for %kcal from carbs, fats and protein. Usually the percentages are adjusted based on certain disease states and activity factors. 30% is the max fat for most people except those whom have pulmonary issues as the are often offered less carb more fat diet due to metabolism of carb produces excessive CO2- aka they can't breath. Since carbs are primary source of energy-- they are usually the centration of the kcal any ware between 40-55%. then protein makes up the rest. just like any nutritient there are good and bad foods. High protein to carb ration diets are of course going to assist in weight loss in the interm, but not in the long term as when carbs are added back- there may be some hoarding happening metabolically. Hope this helps-- the idea is that they program just takes the national percential recommendations for the nutrients.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I've based my percantages of off about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and and about 0.5 gram of fat per body weight. The rest is carbs. That makes my percentage 32% protein, 45% fat, and 23% carbs. Works quite well for me so far.
    were you actually able to set the percentages here to those levels or do you just know what your goals are and hit them?