When do you start to see a difference?

Options
Ok so here I am and I've lost 14 pounds so far but I'm not seeing the difference yet? I thought my clothes would be super baggy or I would have noticed something in the mirror. The only thins I've noticed is my pants are getting loose in the rear end. I'm starting to feel like why bother. But I'm not going to give up. At least I'm seeing a difference when I step on the scale and I know that can't be fake.

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! :flowerforyou:

Your body needs to know you are for real and then you'll see the pounds start melting off.

Keep at it!! :drinker:

It has taken me a year to lose 30 pounds...but it is soooo worth it because the weight is staying off, not like weightloss before where I lose 30 pounds and then gain 40 within months. :grumble:
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Keep at it! :smile:

I noticed it first in my pant waist -- but I don't wear elastic waist so I know when things are tight or loose. I also noticed it in my bras -- the cup not the band (where they also can be stretchy. Have you checked the fit of your bras?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose as well and it takes a bit longer to notice. At about 30 lbs down, I started noticing at about 55 - 60 lbs down people starting saying something to me.

In answer to why bother? Because you will be healthier. I am doing things that I never would have done 63 lbs ago and I feel amazing!
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    congrats on 14 lbs....thats exciting......i never see a difference either...and that might be because the places i am looking are the places that come off last........just keep going strong and know that you are becomming a heathier you
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Keep at it - it will come.

14 pounds is basically 2 gallons of water. Think of you body as a beanbag chair full of water - and think about removing 2 measly gallons... Not really gonna make that much diff is it?

You'll feel the differrence in how you feel and how you can move. Here's something to give you some perspective - next time you're at the grovery, pick up three 5 pounds sacks of flour or sugar or something and carry them around for a while. :embarassed:

Wow - gets heavy don't it? That's how much weight you've lost. That's how much load you've taken off your body, your knees/hips/ankles... You're making great progress - keep it up. :smile:

((I didn't really feel a diff 'til I'd lost 25 or so. But now I feel so great - it's definitely worth it. You'll get there.))
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Remember, you are losing weight all over your body - from face to toe. You can't lose for a particular area. So, depending on your size and the amount lost, I would say you'll notice after a 10% frop in weight. That to me is where size changes occur.

Keep up the great work!:flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that you see yourself every day so the change will be very gradual.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    my first place i lost was my butt, and i lost a lot of it. then strange places like my toes... your body takes it off in strange places, but it's worth it, this is a long term goal, not a fix quick scheme, and the ultimate goal is to be healthy and stay that way. keep it up!

eta the more you have to lose, the less noticeable it is. i've lost 45 pounds since the end of jan and a lot of my friends haven't even noticed... cuz i'm a big girl. i dont' care though, i'm down several sizes, so obviously it's made a big difference, i just can't see it myself. i have a ways to go though too.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    It took a while for me to notice it on me too. I think for me being quite large to start (300lbs) that first 15 lbs I lost was from all over, therefore there wasn't a dramatic shift. My coworker Nikkytoo pointed out that I lost back fat first. That is the hardest thing to see in yourself since it is behind you :laugh: . My measurements haven't changed all that much, but I have now dropped 2 sizes because of what I have lost in between the measurement points. I too have lost my bum :laugh: my pants and capris all have saggy rear ends. It will change as weight starts to come off other areas.

14lbs is a terrific start! you should be proud of that it isn't easy to do! Keep at it and you will see the results. :flowerforyou:
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    You are doing great, keep up the good work and you will soon notice changes.

I think that it is differant for everyone, so to give an exact amount of weight loss until people notice is mere impossible!!

But when you or someone else notices, it will feel soooooo good!
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have lost a total of 18 pound now and wasn't seeing it anywhere!!! BUT...sometimes you don't notice those things. My wedding band got too tight while I was preggo and I just got a "maternity band" :laugh: BUT kept it on even after the birth, and for another 8 months until yesterday I put it on...AND IT ISN'T TIGHT!!! So, part of my weight that has come off is even in my hands :tongue: And I got a membership at curves 1 month ago so on the 22nd I had my second measurment taken (one when I started, one 1 month into it) . I was soo amazed...I lost a total of 10 inches all over...and 11 of the 13 pounds was all fat lost!!! The other was prob water changes and stuff. I lost 1.5 in in my bust, 1in in my abdomen 1.5 between both hips, 2.5 between both thighs, 3.5 between both arms, and -2.30% body fat! SO I LOST ALL THOSE INCHES, AND I VISUALLY CAN'T SEE THE CHANGES YET! I really reccomend to you getting a fabric type tape measure. You can get one for under $3 at walmart! I was actually going to make a post with my changes but havn't yet, lol!!! I'll wait till next month and combine them. PLEASE don't get discouraged. I was getting a little myself until I got the measurments...and the way I look at it is that the scale DOES NOT LIE! If it says you have lost, then you have lost. That weight came off from somewhere rather you can see it or not. You just have to keep going!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    +1 on the tape measure.

That tape will show changes the scale doesn't always show. I've had times where I worked my butt off for 2 weeks and the scale wouldn't budge and I got frustrated - but then I got out the tape and saw another inch off the waist and an inch off the thighs and I knew that I really was getting somewhere.

Try to think of other ways to measure your progress besides the number on the scale. Take measurements. Take note of your stamina - you're going to be able to do stuff you haven't done in years once you get some of the extra poundage off (steps? I like steps! - they're easy now!). Check you blood pressure when you're at Walmart. You should see lots of improvements soon - especially if you're getting a little exercise.

The scale only tells part of the story,,, and it's a great story. And it doesn't end,,, :wink:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I started FEELING a difference at 10 pounds, but didn't start to see it until about 20. I've lost 41 and it's just the last 10 or 15 that my clothes have become really baggy.

I suggest taking pictures of your progression. I didn't think to start doing it until 30 pounds lost, but man, the difference between 30 and 40 is amazing. I didn't think there would be much of a difference becasue I see myself everyday (obviously, haha) but in pictures the difference is amazing.

I now am taking pics (in the same clothes each time and front, side and back shots) every 10 pounds.
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It will happen. Don't loose hope! It took me a while to start (about 2 months and 15 pounds less) to see noticeable results. Results noticeable to me. At least you know its working.

One of the toughest things for weight loss for me is patience. I know its working, but I want it to work faster dammit! Quick is never good for weight loss. Just stick with it. I promise it will be worth it in the end! :flowerforyou:
  • Alligatorshirts
    Options
    14lbs is a great start. You should be congratulating yourself. It will take time to reach your goal, remember you didn't gain all the weight in a month, it will take more than a month to lose.

Having goals for weight loss is great, but I also think if we treat our weight loss, as just a way of life change, it might be easier for us. Lets face it, even once we hit our goal, we can't start eating the way we used to. The real goal is to view eating right, and exercise as part of our everyday life, for the rest of our life. Once we can accept that, we will be in great shape, and live healthy lives.
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    it starts with the little things, such as what you said the "baggy in the back"

other little things you take for granted

bra feels looser, not out of breathe walking up the stares, the seatbelt lays in a different spot, your bath towel ties a little differently, the buttons on your shirt lays flat, your watch isn't as snug, you can snap your necklace a little easier, the button on your pants doesn't look like it's dangling on the thread when you close your pants, your zipper goes all the way up and stays there, you can tie your shoelace straight instead from the side (like the ill-fated side ponytail), the indent in your mattress isn't as deep when you wake up...

i mean the list of small things can go on and on.

so count your victories.

for me i didn't notice until 40lbs in and people started to notice around 60lbs. so what can you do? just keep going because time passes by no matter what. and i'm sure you are like me i got tired of starting over and thinking if i had just kept going.

we are rooting for you and cheering your little victories and we will SHOUT for you when you ask us to.

all the best!!!!!!!
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. You have really put it in perspective for me. Like I said I'm not giving up I'm in it for the long haul. Obviously I'm doing something right because like you said the scale doesn't lie. But I think I will get that tape measure just for my own sake to monitor my body changes. Thanks everyone for the motivation I needed.:flowerforyou: