targeting where you want to lose weight?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to target the areas that you want to shrink in inches? I've been doing Insanity and am finding that I'm not losing the inches in the places I want (thighs/butt specifically), but am in other places. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I found running really helped me lose inches in those areas...
  • Em28wxm
    Em28wxm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i've read that u cant target specific areas? not 100% sure but think the body chooses where the inches come from
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sadly no. Just keep targeting body fat. Best way is lifting weights. Doing cardio will give you a smaller version of you. Doing weights will assist you in changing your body shape.

I wish there was because I'd be working to get rid of my stomach area. It's gross. But I'll keep plugging away until my body decides to let some of that gut fat go.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. Down over 30 lbs and even though every area has shrunk, I'm getting close to my ultimate goal weight and my thighs are still pretty flabby :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    besides liposuction, no there's nothing you can do to target where specific reserves of fat will come from. each person has different genetics so just because person a can do x activity and lose primarily for a certain body part doesnt mean that you will.

the general rule of thumb is the first place you gain fat ( in other words your body's preferred location to store fat) will be the last place you will lose. also the body mobilizes fat from all over your body just in different percentages, once again depending on your individual genetics.

for instance for me i gain weight in the following way : chest, thighs, face, hips, stomach. now that i'm losing weight, it's been coming off from all over, but actual amounts are from highest to lowest : stomach, hips, face, thighs and chest. so although i am losing from my chest, it's at a much slower rate than my belly since my belly is genetically the last place my body wants to store fat.
    i can only assume that as i get closer to what my body thinks is a suitable amount of fat to have on my belly, it'll then switch the majority of fat loss to the hips, and so on.

hope that makes sense. just stick with eating at a deficit, weight training and some cardio and you'll see results.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Spot reducing doesn't work. It will come off where it wants to.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wish... but I think this comes into the category of "things you can't control".
  • emilystamp
    Options
    Unfortunately no. Everyone's body is different and everyone sheds fat differently. You can target the areas you want to tone up with a focused weight training plan. The muscle definition will show with the more fat you lose.