Popcorn....yes...again

elpiper
elpiper Posts: 183 Member
I've researched popcorn high and low on this site. I've come to find mixed answers.

I also find that I'm still utterly lost...so I tend to go with the serving size that is for 1 cup popped of popcorn and have measured out my "popup bowls" of Orville Reddenbacher's popcorn a few times to know that there is NO WAY that each bag contains 2.5 servings of 4 cups popped popcorn. NO WAY. I've measured out in a cup on many times and it comes to anywhere between 6 cups to 7 cups total in each pop up bag of popcorn. So I go with the nutrition info for 1 cup popped times 6 ( so 6 cups of popcorn) because my doggies always get some, and my husband likes to take some too so I guesstimate 6 cups is what i'm getting from each bag.

Is going with the per cup nutrition a skewed vantage point to take? Thoughts? Input?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I was also thinking about popcorn today. I buy the individual serving 100 calorie bags just to keep the calorie counting simple. Now, I was wondering, do they count 100 calories if every kernel is popped or do they know there are going to be unpopped kernels in the bag so is that accounted for? And I'm always confused as to why there is nutrition information on unpopped kernels. Do people eat those?
  • elpiper
    thats what i NEED to do...i have a popcorn addiction....i can't seem to shake it! But really.....who eats the unpoped kernels? I mean....that would just break my teeth i think...
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    I was also thinking about popcorn today. I buy the individual serving 100 calorie bags just to keep the calorie counting simple. Now, I was wondering, do they count 100 calories if every kernel is popped or do they know there are going to be unpopped kernels in the bag so is that accounted for? And I'm always confused as to why there is nutrition information on unpopped kernels. Do people eat those?

I assume they count them as if every kernel were popped. I buy the same ones and our microwave at work pisses me off because it will only pop half the bag before burning the popped corn. So I always get half a bag instead of a full.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    thats what i NEED to do...i have a popcorn addiction....i can't seem to shake it! But really.....who eats the unpoped kernels? I mean....that would just break my teeth i think...

Can't say I never have...

But seriously...get the 100 cal packs. It's a good amount of popcorn for 100 cals.
  • elpiper
    uhhh...i hit repost on accident,sorry!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    I've been entering Generic popcorn - air popped - 6 cups cooked = 120 calories
  • i eat the whole bag. its less than 100 calories since a good number of kernels dont pop
  • AllTehBeers

I assume they count them as if every kernel were popped. I buy the same ones and our microwave at work pisses me off because it will only pop half the bag before burning the popped corn. So I always get half a bag instead of a full.

Mine too. We have a higher wattage microwave at work then at my house so i'm afraid if i just let it keep going the whole bag will burn. Then I don't have any pop corn :(
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    I, like you, have a popcorn addiction. When I was younger and lived by myself, I would eat it for supper at least 1 a week and usually for bedtime snack more often than that. The 100 calorie packs are wonderful, even though eating a huge bowl-ful of it is way more satisying and delicious.

What's your favorite way to eat it? I love it air popped with parmasean cheese, butter, and salt. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I eat popcorn almost every day - I buy the big bags of kernels and we pop in it a brown paper bag in the microwave. :bigsmile: Then we add our own butter, salt, Parmesan cheese or whatever we want. I have to admit I love it with good old butter and salt, but at least I control the amount, and it's all natural - no weird flavorings or colorings. And soooo much cheaper than buying the microwave stuff.

Try it - I put 1/4 cup (the serving size listed on the bag) of kernels in a bag (lunch bag size), fold it down a couple of times and cook it on the popcorn setting on my microwave. Comes out perfect every time!
  • AllTehBeers
    I eat popcorn almost every day - I buy the big bags of kernels and we pop in it a brown paper bag in the microwave. :bigsmile: Then we add our own butter, salt, Parmesan cheese or whatever we want. I have to admit I love it with good old butter and salt, but at least I control the amount, and it's all natural - no weird flavorings or colorings. And soooo much cheaper than buying the microwave stuff.

Try it - I put 1/4 cup (the serving size listed on the bag) of kernels in a bag (lunch bag size), fold it down a couple of times and cook it on the popcorn setting on my microwave. Comes out perfect every time!

This is brilliant! I never thought of popping kernels in the microwave, I always just used my air popper or a pot on the stove. I'm definitely going to try this out next time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

This is brilliant! I never thought of popping kernels in the microwave, I always just used my air popper or a pot on the stove. I'm definitely going to try this out next time.
    Stove top tastes much better than microwave. Takes about the same amount of time, also.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member

• mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Put the popcorn bag in the freezer for an hour before popping>I makes almost ALL the kernals pop. I usually store the popcorn bags in the freezer and pop as needed. I almost always get no unpopped kernals.:smile:
  • geneanroberts
    geneanroberts Posts: 39 Member
    I air pop mine and add the nacho cheese popcorn seasoning. Much lower calorie that way :)
  • AllTehBeers
    Put the popcorn bag in the freezer for an hour before popping>I makes almost ALL the kernals pop. I usually store the popcorn bags in the freezer and pop as needed. I almost always get no unpopped kernals.:smile:

This is interesting. I'll have to try it out next time.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    I don't usually eat it, but for DW I make it in a sauce pan. 1 TBSP popcorn oil (or vegetable oil), 40 grams popcorn kernels, salt to taste.

Put oil in big enough sauce pan along with 3 kernels in the oil. Turn to Medium High.

When one of the kernels pops, add the rest of the kernels and the salt.

Shake several times and leave on heat until 2 or 3 seconds between pops.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    The great thing about brown bag popcorn is that you don't have to use oil so you save on calories and it is so much more healthier. Plus, you can add whatever spices/flavors you want. I can't imagine all that stuff in those prepackaged popcorn bags.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    bump
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    I weigh popcorn. Volume is less accurate than weight for solids.

Unpopped popcorn weighs the same as popped, of course. Simples.