Need some dieting advice

Options
I currently weight 140 lbs. and I'm 5'8" and can't seem to lose any more weight. My goal is to tone up more (lose the chicken wings, buddah belly, saddle bags, and the love handles) and weight about 130 lbs because that is how much I weighed after chemo and I think that weight fits my body best. I've been eating 1,200 calories/day and many times I don't even eat close to that. I've been trying to get more exercise as my school and clinical schedule allows. I drink over 8 cups of water a day.

I really just need some strong guidance to get to my goal and be able to maintain it. I've read some discussion posts and people mentioned BMR and other terms and I'm not familiar with that or what it means so if anyone can help explain it a little bit better I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, if you'd like...feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• tayca9174
    tayca9174 Posts: 37
    Options
    I should also mention that my diary is open to view and I think anyone can view it? I'm not 100% sure.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) is the amount of calories your body needs just to survive, for organ and brain and respiratory function. If you were in a coma, or literally just stayed in bed all day, your body would need your BMR amount to do everything it needs to do.

As soon as you get out of bed, you start burning more calories than that. Getting up, walking up and down stairs, brushing your teeth, taking a shower, standing in the kitchen to cook breakfast, and every other thing you do that day all adds up to your maintenance calories -- your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

Go to the top of this screen, click on the "Tools" tab, and use the BMR calculator to find your absolute bare minimum calories that you really need to consume every day. Then go to this website:

http://loseweightbuildmuscles.com/harris-benedict-bmr-calculator.html

...and use that to figure your TDEE. Eat between your BMR and TDEE and you should lose weight at a healthy rate.

I'm no expert on this, by any means. Do more research, ask more questions, and don't quote me. :flowerforyou: Good luck.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/522858-bmr-question

This thread also popped up with the same BMR questions and more answers. =) Hope it helps.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You definitely need to eat your full 1200 calories... more on the days you exercise.