Swimming without going under

Options
Hi..... :) I've been going swimming the last couple of weeks but am starting to get bored because I can't seem to dunk my head, therefore feel limited to what I can do. I want to do laps so I've been doing breast stroke and swimming on my back but other than that there's not much I CAN do because I'm having trouble with the whole breathing under water. Every time I give it a go, I come up with water in my brain and make a fool of myself coughing and sputtering all over the place... lol.

Anyways, swimming things I can do that I don't need to submerge my nose in the pool?

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I'm not a swimmer. It hurts so bad to get water in my nose! When I was a kid, I used a nose clip for a while. It looks dorky, but if I get a backyard pool, I'll probably use one again. I know how you're supposed to keep water out of your nose, but I could never practice and concentrate long enough to make it a habit.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Grab a kickboard; swim on your side, with one arm out, one at your side; swim on your back...
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i can't put my head in the water becuase I have such a problem with sinus
    i cannot take the pressure in my ears to go under water :frown:
  • ajl93
    ajl93 Posts: 22
    Options
    hey I'm a swimmer and although it would be better if i were there to help you I'm just going to give u a few tips
    these are tips for swimming freestyle/front crawl

1) when ur head is under water blow out with your nose and when your head comes up breath in with your mouth you might get a little water in there but its ok
    2)get in a grove so like keep you head under water then do 3 strokes then get air
    3) turn your head to the side....what ever side you are pulling with then that is the side you breath to
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Look for a water aerobics class. If that's not an option, try water jogging laps.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This book helped me out when I started getting into triathlons and wanted to learn how to do the front crawl properly.

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier
    http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331786912&sr=1-1
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have significant sinus problems, and it's just not worth the drama for me to swim underwater anymore. I have found that using a kickboard and jogging underwater works just fine (for me). Aqua aerobics classes are fun, and teach you great exercises that you can do on your own, too. The key to jogging/aerobics is a good pair of water shoes though. :-)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Shallow end or kiddie pool, best options ever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    hey I'm a swimmer and although it would be better if i were there to help you I'm just going to give u a few tips

1) when ur head is under water blow out with your nose and when your head comes up breath in with your mouth you might get a little water in there but its ok
    2)get in a grove so like keep you head under water then do 3 strokes then get air
    3) turn your head to the side....what ever side you are pulling with then that is the side you breath to

This is EXACTLY what I do for my laps.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I have significant sinus problems, and it's just not worth the drama for me to swim underwater anymore. I have found that using a kickboard and jogging underwater works just fine (for me). Aqua aerobics classes are fun, and teach you great exercises that you can do on your own, too. The key to jogging/aerobics is a good pair of water shoes though. :-)

^^^^
    This is me too

I am going to see about joining a water aerobics class that starts here next month

I hadn't thought about the shoes....thanks:bigsmile:
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Unless you have gills do not try to take a breath under water. The kick board or Knoodle are good for working out your leg muscels. Try using a swim mask rather than goggles.
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about the Aqua aerobics class and water jogging! Also treading water quickly, use your arms as well. Go deep and try to hold yourself up for 60 second intervals just by fluttering the feet quickly, get your shoulders up out of the water. Rest for 30 seconds and then repeat. There's noodle exercises you can do too and you should learn them in aqua class. I love aqua other than walking the dog everyday it's my only other Real exercise.

Get 2 pair of Aqua shoes as they wear out quickly :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

This is EXACTLY what I do for my laps.

^^me too. If it really bothers you, get a nose plug. I got one for my daughter and now she is a fish
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobic class. I do jogging in water and love doing jumping jacks = piece of cake but much harder on normal surface
  • ajl93
    ajl93 Posts: 22
    Options
    Water jogging is a great option and so is water aerobics how ever be careful sometimes water aerobics is just a group of women who sit on noodles and gossip, so if you actually want to do exercise do water jogging or make sure that the water aerobics is actually water aerobics and not a gossip circle