Non-gym goers?

Options
Hey everyone. I was wondering what all you guys do at home? I used to go to the gym, but I recently lost my job so that is no longer an option for me. So everyones at home advice would be really apprieciated!! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Any cheap a home video works. Jullian Michaels makes great stuff (biggest loser). Her videos such as 30 day shred and Ripped in 30 require a yoga mat (if on a hard floor) and some hand dumbbells. They are combined cardio/strength in a circuit form and get in a solid workout in 30 minutes.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You really can get a lot of strength training done if you have a set of dumbbells. You can work most muscle groups and have a greater range of motion than the machines in the gym. Push-ups, crunches, and many other exercises can be done even if you don't have weights.
  • jafy23
    jafy23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have alot of fitness games, 10 minutes sulution and dance games. i do that on the days i can't make it to the gym
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wii!! I have several fitness "games". I just ordered a kettleball video I can't wait to try! I have a pilates video I haven't used in forever that I really need to break out again.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do p90x videos and zumba at home I can't afford to go to the gym :(
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Basics are great at home.

Squats
    Lunges
    Sit ups
    Crunches
    Leg lifts
    Scissor kicks
    Push ups
    Dips
    Jumping jacks
    Toe hops

I do these every week in martial arts training and kickboxing.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I lift weights with dumbbells and do core exercises at home. I also have a heavy bag hanging for kicking and punching.
    Sometimes I go for a bike ride or a walk. Hubby runs.
    We also have a Wii and I have a DVD or two.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Jillian Michaels Kickbox Fastfix~!
  • xrayk8te
    xrayk8te Posts: 16
    Options
    Ive been doing Jillian Michaels DVDs and when I feel really motivated I do P90X. On Pinterest, they always have different workout routines posted too. Ive done a few I found interesting:) Good Luck!
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    Walk, dance, wii, work out with resistance bands, wrist and ankle weights, workout videos, swimming, mini exercise routines (kinda like we used to do at the start of gym class)....lots of options, and I interchange and utilize all of these and more. The variety keeps me from getting bored. The gym just does not fit into my day and is really not my cup of tea anyway.
  • imasaf
    imasaf Posts: 8
    Options
    I also don't go to a gym but I do the following exercises at or around my home...

- walk/jog my neighborhood
    - i do yoga at home (yes yoga mat required) watching free yoga videos from doyogawithme.com
    - i also recently bought kettlenetics ($30)... Includes a small kettlebell with workout videos...
    - use my step stool (1 step kind) to do some minor step exercises.... Usually i use it to reach the top shelf of my kitchen cabinets
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    For aerobics, I use Tiffany Rothe's workouts on Youtube (I actually bought her package from her site, but youtube is convenient either way), and I have both a set of 7.5 lb and 12 lb dumbbells for my arms and back (alternating). I do my squats with the 12 lb dumbbells too, for extra OMGHURT the next few days. :P

Figure-eights for hips really seems to burn calories for me, according to my HRM. Between the weights and those, I get a decent burn in a very short amount of time and have to record it as double the time on MFP to keep the calories accurate.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Bob Harper Kettle Bells..strength and cardo in one. I walk a lot and run on occasion. I just started using a gym, so my progress is based solely on the above. Good Luck and Chin up
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    two names
    1. jillian michales.. you can find some vids on youtube... she seems to be the top pick..
    2. tiffany rothe... She does really short videos which you are supposed to repeat thrice... best part they are free on youtube...
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Walk, dance, wii, work out with resistance bands, wrist and ankle weights, workout videos, swimming, mini exercise routines (kinda like we used to do at the start of gym class)....lots of options, and I interchange and utilize all of these and more. The variety keeps me from getting bored. The gym just does not fit into my day and is really not my cup of tea anyway.

I exercise at home also, I work 3rd shift and exercise as soon as i get home
    i have a treadmill at home and i bought a new bicycle for whn the weather get warm
    walking doesn't cost anything and u can rent dvd's free at your library

i have a wii and use the sports, zumba and just dance

i have a yoga dvd and a mat
    i also have dumbells at home and a strength training dvd

practicing pushups and squats at home will help you also

if you can jog or run would be good...i just can't run

good luck in your journey:bigsmile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, elliptical, and weight bench I bought off craigslist really cheap that I use. I have bands & tubes also for resistance training. Before I got my bowflex weights I purchase some hand weights from Walmart so that I could strength train. Walmart has some really cheap workout dvd's. Also exercise.com and bodyrock.tv has workout online you can follow. If you visit my blog I have links to some work outs online. subtractingcalories.blogspot.com
  • farmerted322
    Options
    I don't use the gym.

I walk, map out my route using google map and track my time. I have bunch of dvd's, jillian micheals, leslie sansone, yoga. Most i bought used off of ebay or try the goodwill.

You can do it.

Kathy
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Very Helpfull!!
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I go for walks, do Zumba on my Wii and us the weights my husband bought a few months ago (he swore he was going to use them but I am the one who opened them last week lol) I have only been doing it for a week, but zumba is such great workout! If you really get into it, it is pretty fun. I don't know how much I have lost but I feel better and you can get just as good a workout at home as in the gym
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i have comcast cable and in their ondemand there is a section for sports and fitness and inside that there is fitness tv. tons of free videos to watch. i know a lot of people use youtube videos too.

i mostly just go on walks around my neighborhood.