Running

Options
I have thought about running a million times, the main thing that stops me is my weight. I think I am too big too run. Might sound odd but I have only seen slim people run. I walk fast and walk often!

Any advice from people who run daily?

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run daily as that's not necessary. I didn't even do that when I was running half marathons 2x a year.

I'd start with a Couch to 5k plan. This will allow you to work your way from just walking to walking and running to running.

I still do the run/walk intervals (Jeff Galloway) as it helps me to run faster while running and aids in recovery.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great beginner program. Gives you really sound guidance on walk/run/frequency - and taking days off. :)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Also, I ran when I was 60 lbs heavier. It sure helped me get to the size I am now - and I expect it will keep on til I'm also one of those slim people!
    So, do it!

"If you run, you are a runner.  It doesn't matter how fast or how far.  It doesn't matter if today if your first day or if you've been running for twenty years.  There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get . You just run." - John Bingham.
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    go for it! Not all those people running started out so slim! but as a previous poster mentioned I wouldn't run daily. I usually go about 4-5 times a week. Gotta have rest days in,
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Anyone can run!! The slim people that you see running are slim for a reason - cause they run.
    I used to want to run SO badly I would have dreams about running. I always thought there was no way I could do it. I was told it would be hard on my joints and blah blah blah. I started with the C25K and now I run all the time for as long as I feel like running:)
    Running is like nothing else. The sense of confidence and self-worth that you get from it is addictive! You can always go faster, longer or farther! It isn't a compettion against others, it's a constant self improvement!

Try it. Don't push it. Go at your own pace and do what feels good for you.
    You'll either love it or hate it but you will never know until you try!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm not the typical runner type body... started with walking, walking fast, walking so fast my legs hurt... then onto Couch to 5K and then after a week or two of that... just did it... started slow... and now run about 20-25 miles per week... LOVE IT! You will be addicted... get some good running shoes (fitted if possible) and keep the girls strapped if your larger chested ( I double bra - use sports bra PLUS a tank with built in bra, then a shirt) It's just more comfy when the girls aren't loose!!!!

And if I can do it... YOU CAN TOO! I just celebrated my 48th bday!!!! went from size 16 to a size 8 in a year and half!!!!

Just get out there!!!!!
    L
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Start with walking, work your way up to running. I'm able to walk at what is a fast walk for me on the treadmill for a full 60 minutes now. I've lost 15 pounds since I started, but most of that has been since joining here. I also do 2 min. sprints throughout the workout at a faster speed, to work on endurance.

I'm still well over 200 pounds, and only 5' tall.