HELP!!!! Weight isn't going down

Options
Hi,

I've been really good with my calorie intake, I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week and I have lost a grand total of 1lb

I have lost inches to be fair which is amazing, but lets be honest I'm not going to be a size 10 at 181lbs am I!

Its really demotivating any advise is gratefully recieved.

I eat 1200 calories a day and I do classes at the gym - Body Pump, Spinning and step aerobics, and Total Toning when I can get on the courses.

I haven't been going at it long which is the worrying thing as usually on a diet weight falls off the first couple of weeks.

Replies

• sjstill
    sjstill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are losing inches by going to the gym which is good. However, apparently you don't know that muscle weighs more than fat. That is the problem, you are turning the fat into muscle, thus the inches coming off, but not the weight. Keep up what you are doing and you will eventually begin to lose the weight as well.

I've been on the plan now for about a month and am not losing weight or inches. I lost 3 pounds, then gained one back. I also have not been able to get to the gym as frequently as I'd like to, so I am not seeing the loss in inches yet. However, I am not going to be be defeated yet. At least I haven't lost/gained the usual 5 pounds. I'm sure it will eventually begin to drop both the inches & weight, especially once I can get back into the gym 3 days a week. Plus with spring around the corner, I'm looking towards to being able to ride my bike.
  • PugCookie
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm no expert but perhaps you're eating too few calories?? Your body will need more when you're exercising.. and it also needs to be kept hydrated so make sure you're drinking PLENTY of water :)
  • Sartory1
    Sartory1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi,

I put on aother 2.5lbs this week any advise?
  • vickychristie
    vickychristie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive been same - taking forever just to lose pound here and there and I do a class every day, however after reading loads of posts everyone says same eat more, so Im using all my exercise calories, try eating them it may work:)
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    If you open your diary someone may be able to offer suggestion......if you are eating a NET of 1200 that is ok, if you are NETTING less than 1200 that is undefeeding......do you drink water? Do you log everything? Do you have a medical condition? Do you etimate calories or burns? Do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • Lose25now
    Lose25now Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, i agree you may not be eating enough and I know it sounds wrong to say this but it is true. Plus Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat it takes up less space than fat. Put a pound of fat in a box and put a pound of muscle in a box the muscle box will be smaller becuase it takes up less room. So when I go to the gym and lose inches my pant fit better even though the scale may not go down. You need to feed your body to get fit.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    Also...

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Whats your body fat%?
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    First off, yes you can be a size 10 at 181, I was a size 8 at 181, depends on how your body is built.

Second, I was having a hard time losing weight, so I started just going over on my calories. Not with junk, but with more quality foods. Weights coming off like a charm now. I went from 1200 (nothing happened) to 1500 and now it's all good. I even hit 2k every once in a while which really boosts it up.

Everybody is different, but if I exercise, I need to eat more to lose weight. There are quite a few threads on here about it, so check them out. Some people even went from 1200 to 1800 and really started losing weight. I'm thinking about making that jump, but I'll sit here for a bit and see what happens.

And remember, smaller inches=smaller clothes. A lower weight on the scale does not necessarily mean smaller clothes, especially right away.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    Also...

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Whats your body fat%?

I stalked this dude's profile and found this great site for checking out some stats and your BMI!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

I upped my calories based on this stuff.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is great! I teach spinning and Body Pump and both are excellent classes. If you opened your diary we could help a LOT more. PM/Friend me if you'd like! I started off at 186 and I'm about your same age. :-)
  • Sartory1
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for all your advise.

I am 5'3 and I am clothes size around a 14-16 at the moment.

I am also now 184lbs

I have unlocked my diary thank you for checking it out.

I forget to put all the water on, I have a cup of green tea every day and at least a pint of water at work, then on a night I'll have around 2 more pints of squash and then I have water when I do the classes.

I do eat for too much salt on my food - I don't cook with it, but I pile it on and I know I shouldn't and I have swaped to lo salt but I love that as well!

I have no medical problems, reoccuring bladder and kidney infections (due to the salt probably) and I don't smoke

Thank you I really appreciate your advise!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it....
  • Sartory1
    Options
    Also I forgot to add should I be looking moer closely at my fat intake?
  • Lakesideretirement
    Lakesideretirement Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last week I was reading posts about how other MFP's were upping their calorie intake, so I decided to go from 1200 - 1500 cal. Then I weighed myself this morning and GAINED 4.5LBS in one week! Then I was reading more and found out I may have chosen the wrong activity level. I have a desk job however I work out 5-6 times a week. So that mean's I have a moderate activity level (right??) So today I went onto the Fat2Fit website. According to them my BMR is 1548 cal and my daily intake should be 2113!!!! YIKES And I thought coming up with 1500 calories to eat was hard enough! So now I don't know if I should up my calories or just wait and see for a couple weeks? :noway:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for all your advise.

I am 5'3 and I am clothes size around a 14-16 at the moment.

I am also now 184lbs

I have unlocked my diary thank you for checking it out.

I forget to put all the water on, I have a cup of green tea every day and at least a pint of water at work, then on a night I'll have around 2 more pints of squash and then I have water when I do the classes.

I do eat for too much salt on my food - I don't cook with it, but I pile it on and I know I shouldn't and I have swaped to lo salt but I love that as well!

I have no medical problems, reoccuring bladder and kidney infections (due to the salt probably) and I don't smoke

Thank you I really appreciate your advise!

A quick rough estimate without body fat%.....
    I guessed due to waist size being around 32-33inches to have a body fat of around 25%.
    If you work out 3-5 times a week you are moderately active.

BMR 1522
    TDEE 2359

Perfect weight appx 124lbs

User should be eating 1887 cals/day
    Protein and fat 30% each.

This number will net appx .88-1lb lost per week to fat with max lean mass retention.

You dont eat enough.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I stalked this dude's profile and found this great site for checking out some stats and your BMI!

Join my group!
    =D
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little eat all of your calories plus whatever calories that you get from exercise and you will start losing weight.
  • Sartory1
    Options
    What do you all suggest I should eat to up my calories? I probably couldn't manage an awful lot more food!
  • Sartory1
    Options

Join my group!
    =D

What is your group called?