Eating Habits.

Options
Heya :)
I'm 19 5'3 124.6 pounds and I'm extremely active. I train everyday for at least an hour with varying sports. ie. camogie, hockey, football. During the day I usually eat very little, I find it hard to find time being in college all day. For example yesterday I had cereal for breakfast then during the day I ate 4 crackers a yogurt and I played a soccer match and a football match in between. In saying that when I get home late at night I usually eat a decent amount, like a bowl of cereal and two wraps. I'd love for some ideas on how to improve this. Should I just eat a main lunch or should I snack several times throughout the day? Also should I be eating my extra calories?

Replies

• kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Eat all 3 main meals.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    In my experience when I was eating too little my weight loss stalled completely. I was eating 1400 cals and completely plateaued. I also got a nasty cold that I couldn't shake for 6 weeks. My coach asked me about my nutrition and how much I was eating, so I told him. He told me that the cold was directly related to the fact that I wasn't eating enough. We bumped my calories up to 2000 and my weight loss has started up again and I generally feel better.

You really should eat more throughout the day to fuel your exercises. It's not uncommon for me to do a 3 hour bike ride, and if I am not fueled properly before, during, and after I definitely notice my performance take a dip.

Some quick foods you can do are: protein shakes (I make mine with a stick blender so there is virtually no clean up... just rinse the stick), cheese sticks and an apple, cliff bars, greek yogurt (more protein), nuts, natural peanut butter and a banana.... just small snacks that pack a good amount of calories and a good mix of carbs, protein, and fiber. That way if you're pressed for time you can just eat those really quickly and get going.

I hope this helps!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I ate like that at 19 and it worked fine until I left uni, didn't have time to exercise and started putting on weight. I would get into a habit of having breakfast at least.
  • trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Experts say, you should eat 4 to 5 small meals a day. Pack healthy snacks throughout your day such as: cheese sticks, almonds (100 calorie pack), fresh fruits or veggies, yogurt etc. Always eat breakfast. I like to boil 12 eggs on the weekend and use then for a quick snack or when I am running late. You will be amazed at how awesome you feel. God's Blessings.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of sport, protein and sugars are very important, I would suggest you to have a proper lunch :)
  • Sportaholic013
    Options
    Thanks, these are all a great help :)