Question about Fish

Options
I am new to the calorie counting, and to eating healthy. I have a question about frozen fish. I got some gortons battered fish (in the frozen department). I just stuck them in the oven to bake. How nutritious is frozen fish? I know you are supposed to eat fish every week for the Omega stuff, but is that also in frozen fish? Is this a good choice for lunch?

I had one fish fillet with 5 stalks of asparagus for lunch today.

Just curious what fish is good to eat!

Replies

• luvmytwins02
    Options
    I am new to the calorie counting, and to eating healthy. I have a question about frozen fish. I got some gortons battered fish (in the frozen department). I just stuck them in the oven to bake. How nutritious is frozen fish? I know you are supposed to eat fish every week for the Omega stuff, but is that also in frozen fish? Is this a good choice for lunch?

I had one fish fillet with 5 stalks of asparagus for lunch today.

Just curious what fish is good to eat!
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    I would suggest looking on the nuitrition panel. Unfortunately though, frozen fish are never as healthy as fresh because of all the preservatives they put into the fish...then, if it's a battered fish....well, just forget it. The calories in those are outrageous!
  • luvmytwins02
    Options
    How do you prepare your fresh fish? How do you figure calories in fresh fish purchased from the deli?
  • poubre
    poubre Posts: 32
    Options
    Grilled fresh fish is by far the healthiest, but we can't always get fresh fish :). Good for you for trying it though. Battered does add some extra calories, but as long as you're aware of it, that's okay.

To answer your question, Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish no matter how it's prepared/stored.

Do not be too concerned with the Omega-3 thing unless you're at risk. And if you are at risk, I'd recommend buying the Omega-3 tablets instead of trying to eat enough of it. I can expound more on this if needed, but that's only if you're at risk for a heart attack.

Philip
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    funny timing. I had the Gorton fillet the other nite for dinner. 2 of them is the actual serving size... and for the two it is appox 230 calories with about 12 grams of fat. So 115 calories and six grams of fat apeice.

Anything fozen is a little less nutritious than fresh, but do what you can!

We eat tons of fresh fish, and prepare it on the grill almost every time. It takes a while to get the hang of it, But it is totally worth it, esp. if you actually Like fish like we do.
  • luvmytwins02
    Options
    Thanks! I was aware of the calories, that is why I just did one. It was about 125 calories and my veggies were just about nothing...so I was still a good lunch in that sense. I think next time I go to the store, I will see what we have in our fresh fish department. I am just getting interested in trying new fish as I have recently found out that I love it!

Can I grill it on my George Forman grill?
  • luvmytwins02
    Options
    Do you marinate the fish in anything, or just grill it plain?
  • NatashaJanzen
    Options
    If you're like me and only like fish if it's breaded don't buy the ready made packaged stuff, coat it yourself.
    I coat mine first with egg beaters then some cereal crumbled up (corn flakes or ricekrispies) mixed with a bit of garlic and onion powder and a tiny bit of parmasan cheese for flavoring.
    Then I bake it in the oven.
    If you use around 1/4 cup of the cereal you're only adding about 30 Calories, and since you're not using any oil to deep fry you're saving a ton of Calories!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicous! Thats what we generally do too. Sometimes i just use crunched up saltine crackers, bc they arleady have salt on them. I brush mine with real eggs because i dont get very much meat in my diet anyway, so the extra cals and colesterol dont bother me too much. Baking it is a great way also, so easy. The george forman would work perfect for fish tho, i would imagine!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    In the frozen section they also have the fish filets that have a couple of different flavors like lemon and pepper. And I also find in the tuna fish section where they have the indivually package chunks of tuna, and there are different flavors of those also. A lil pricey but a nice change once in awhile.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I disagree, frozen is not always less nutritious..... although I will say that I find fresh TASTES better. I buy fresh rainbow trout, salmon, sole pickerel etc whenever I can. I just bake it. Lay it out on a foil covered baking sheet, I squeeze on some lemon juice and sprinkle on some pepper and then bake at 350. It doesn't take long and you'll know it's cooks when it starts to look a bit dry. If it's a thick fillet. think salmon, it'll clearly take longer. try it! yum:wink: