weight gain

Options
I upped my calorie intake because I felt like I was starving every day. I still do even though I feel like I am eating quite a bit. I exercise 6 days a week. Even though I am staying under my calories count, I am gaining weight...I just started drinking a lot of water and since then my weight is starting back up again....I am so aggravated...advice please!

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot of sugar in your diet.. and that causes insulin to spike, which drives sugar out of your blood and into your cells, which causes sugar levels in your blood to drop, which triggers hunger (whether you are actually hungry or not). Plus that sugar causes water retention too. I suggest cutting out as much sugar as possible, and adding in protein like lean chicken and tuna. One piece of fruit a day is all the sugar you need, and that'll be plenty for your micros as well. Also, switch out all of your white carbs for brown ones.. those brown carbs are complex, take longer to break down in your body, and therefore are not subject to the sugar crash described above. You'll feel more satisfied longer making these switches.
  • trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Homeschoolmom, STRESS, will definately hold on to the weight. Have you ever tried yoga or relaxation exercises? God's Blessings.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are over your sodium and carbs every day, so you'll be retaining water weight. So long as you keep up your water intake, it should drop off!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame the water, you said you increased calories... Maybe that's the cause. Or like you said you are excercizing 6 days a week.. You could be gaining muscle. Try taking your measurements instead of weighing. Also if you recently changed up your workout routine your muscles could be holding onto water... Lots of different factors can lead to a gain. In the end it's all about how u look/feel and how the clothes are fitting!!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. Your daily calorie goal, the amount you exercise and the amount you eat is almost exactly the same as me. I've had good results eating this way. Try sticking with it for another week before giving up.

Also make sure you are being accurate in your logging. Measure your food right, guessing could wildly add calories, use a food scale if you have one. Also make sure the amount of exercise calories you are burning is accurate by using a HRM calibrated to you.

Good luck.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You are over your sodium and carbs every day, so you'll be retaining water weight. So long as you keep up your water intake, it should drop off!

QFT. I track sodium in my diary for this reason.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    After viewing your diary, you are not consistent in eating healthy and balanced. You are consuming way too many prepackaged snacks/junkfoods, not enough vegetables, not enough proteins, you eat (to be honest) way too many of those Fiber One snacks... Your carbs are extremely high (the wrong carbs).... If you have increased your caloric intake, like you say you did.. you arent eating the right kinds of foods to be honest.

You really should ditch the junk food and have actual real food.

You have the golden opportunity to prepare EVERYTHING at home being a stay-at-home person. Prepare your meats ahead of time, your vegetables and fruits ahead of time... Get rid of the junk foods so you can learn how to eat properly and appropriate foods first... get yourself good and disciplined before you incorporate the junk foods you have been consuming...and keep them to a minimum.....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ditch Fibre 1 and replace with Figs, apples, bananas, celery etc....
    Try replacing the quick carbs with fibrous carbs for a week or 2 and see if you have a change.

Also for the love of god, add another full rest day.

The human body can only lose so much fat in a week before it puts the stop on weight loss and puts its defenses up.
    Also when you workout nonstop youll have more water in your muscles while they repair themselves but if you arent getting proper rest the recovery is never complete.

Give yourself a few days off and see how you look say....monday or tuesday?

Case in point, last week I hit my all time low weight of 136lbs.
    I maintained this 136lbs till Tuesday when I decided to take a run.
    I never run BTW.
    Still eating 20% below TDEE I now weigh 139lbs-141lbs first thing in the morning because my legs hurt like a *****.
    Water water everywhere.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ditch Fibre 1 and replace with Figs, apples, bananas, celery etc....
    Try replacing the quick carbs with fibrous carbs for a week or 2 and see if you have a change.

Also for the love of god, add another full rest day.

The human body can only lose so much fat in a week before it puts the stop on weight loss and puts its defenses up.
    Also when you workout nonstop youll have more water in your muscles while they repair themselves but if you arent getting proper rest the recovery is never complete.

Give yourself a few days off and see how you look say....monday or tuesday?

Case in point, last week I hit my all time low weight of 136lbs.
    I maintained this 136lbs till Tuesday when I decided to take a run.
    I never run BTW.
    Still eating 20% below TDEE I now weigh 139lbs-141lbs first thing in the morning because my legs hurt like a *****.
    Water water everywhere.

To expand on what Dan said, you can also feel free to do an active rest day. This includes stretching or using stuff like a foam roller. This is beneficial as a more flexible muscle has more strength potential. And it will increase your overall performance in many workouts.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    1) Pineapple chunks are the worse food next to bananas when it comes to glycemic levels. Glycemic levels are measures of the amount of sugar in the blood. When you eat something that is loaded with carbs/sugar, the pancreas puts out insulin. The higher the amount of carbs/sugar, the more insulin. If this goes on for long, the pancreas learns to put out more insulin than is needed. When all the carbs/sugar is moved into the cells, there is then still insulin in the bloodstream. So you get hungry. Look for a glycemic chart online and try not to eat anything over 50 on the scale.

2. Although those nutrition bars are a nice way of getting fiber, try to get your fiber from a more non-chemical, natural food, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans. Arnolds makes a bread that has 6 grams of fiber per slice. Beans are an excellent source of fiber and protein.

3. You are in the red on a lot of stuff. Even though you are keeping your calories below the recommended amount, the quality of what you are eating is poor. Steer away from cream soups. Soups made with broth have less carbs, are healthier, and will allow you to eat other good foods, such as fruits and vegetables and low fat meat - tuna, salmon, chicken, etc.

4. Increase your activity level. Although 399 looks good, a higher calorie burn will help. I find it interesting that some recommend a rest day to you because you really are not burning that many calories. If you were really taking a go at a treadmill, at 4.0 mph for 2-3 miles, yeah, take a day off. I really think you should increase your exercise, not take a day off.

5. Lay off the salt, eat more from scratch. You are a walking demonstration of how to achieve hypertension through excessive salt intake. All those prepared foods are bad, bad, bad. Cook from scratch. If you have to use prepared, choose quality prepared foods. Stay away from the chemicals.

Hope this helps.