contraception injection

Options
Just had my first depo contraception injection today, lots of storys on different websites re weight gain. I am working hard at the moment & achieving a small weight loss weekly. Worried that it is going to get a lot harder. Any experienced people out there? Any advise for me?

Replies

• TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    The "weight gain" is mostly a lie (you'll probably put on a pound or two) the reason people gain weight on it is because it makes your body act like you're pregnant, meaning you want to eat a lot, people who get fat on it are people who aren't watching what they eat so I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Edit: Just to say this is what my doctor told me.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Dunno abput weighloss, but when I had the depo, it really screwed up my hormoes, I went psyco hormonal. I have since been sterilised, so I don't have to worry. Everyone is different, as with any additive to your body, it will alter levels, but stick with MFP. and you will get somewhere.
  • sharonf1983
    sharonf1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm also on the depo injection. i didnt find that i suddenly put on any extra weight when i first had it, but when it come to when i should have T.O.M i get alot more bloated than i used to and retain alot more water also. But that only seems to last up to a week.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I have been on it for 2 years and the only time I gained any weight at(it wasn't signifigant just a few #'s less than 5)was when I wasn't exercising and logging. Just be mindful and drink lots of water and exercise and log and you should be fine :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Just had my first depo contraception injection today, lots of storys on different websites re weight gain. I am working hard at the moment & achieving a small weight loss weekly. Worried that it is going to get a lot harder. Any experienced people out there? Any advise for me?

Not wanting to scare you ..... but you posted lol .... firstly this doesn't happen to everyone, but my weight gain happened directly due to the pill injection ...... I went from a 10 to an 18 dress size at the age of 25 ish it happened over three jabs and took roughly 3-6 months for the weight to come on .....

I have friends who have had the jab and not been affected I hope you are like them x
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As with all forms of hormonal contraception, Depo affects different people in different ways. Give it 3 months, and then you'll know if it's right for you. You may gain weight at the beginning, experience spotting, or other side-effects; just give it 3 months to let your body even out and see if it's right for you.
  • loosetorideagain
    loosetorideagain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been on the depo injections for 15 years now and apart from a couple of pounds when I first started having it then nothing of any significance.

The only thing is that it is said that long term use of the depo injection can cause your bones to weaken.

I have tests every 3 years and (touch wood) up to now everything is fine.

I certainly would never go back to not having them now..

Good luck
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I developed PCOS as a direct result of having had depo provera injections.

Everyone's body responds differently to different hormones and birth control types.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo Provera, and I gained weight, but not because of the injection itself, but because of the horemonal change, i personally felt a lot hungrier, and I made bad choices.

When I came off Depo Provera (after 4 years) i found my appetite changed back to my 'normal' but my 'normal' was still bad, just smaller amounts

I'm not on Nexplanon (stage 3 of Implanon following changed in patent and insertion technique) it lasts for 3 years and is able to be felt under the skin if pushed - I haven't noticed any appetite changes, which is good

I don't eprsonally think its the injection itself that makes you gain weight, but more the horemonal balance that in creates, and in some people, that may lead to increased appetite. If that means more fruit and veg, then great, but if you're a chocolate and sweet treat eater, it could, without willpower, lead to weight gain through what you choose to eat

Personal view:
    I'd ratehr be overweight or obese, than bring a child into this world that I cannot properly lookafter, due to inactivity, financial restraints, and personal attitude at the current time
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I developed PCOS as a direct result of having had depo provera injections.

Everyone's body responds differently to different hormones and birth control types.

Depo is evil. Sorry to those who love it. But unless you have had kids and never plan to have any more, it can seriously screw up your hormones and cause all sorts of fertility Problems ( pcos as pointed out by above poster, lateal phase defects which can cause early miscarriage when trying to get pg, bone density issues).It is stored itself in your fat cells and can cause long term health issues, again. I gained weight horribly and almost ended up infertile after 2 shots. if you want kids...rethink it.
  • popsical101
    Options
    Im on depo have been for a year started it after my second child I am loosing weight slowly but surely and never gained any I do get rather bloated n retain water at my tom tho but it soon settles back xown x x