exercises for stomach/belly fat

Options
2»

Replies

• RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Heavy squats and deadlifts. If you're spending more than 5 minutes on ab or core exercises, your wasting your time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just eat a calorie deficit and workout. No matter how many crunches and situps you do, it would never target your belly fat. Abs = low body fat, if you want to get rid of your belly fat and eventually see your abs, you need less than 10-12% body fat.

OP is a woman, so she should be able to see abs at 15%, women should not go lower than 10-13% as that is the amount of essential fat, men's essential fat is only 3-5%.

wahhhh thats not fair :(

But this also means that you can have a 6 pack with a higher amount of fat then a guy. A guy with 15%BF will look less lean than a woman at 15%.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The belly is usually the last place the fat comes off. The only way to get rid of it is to reduce your body fat %. 15-20% And you will see some results.

That being said, I do notice a lot of bloating if I eat too many carbs, sodium and processed foods. But a couple of days of clean eating and I can notice a definite improvement. But that's not fat loss, it's just bloat.

Another thought. I also noticed that once I started yoga and improved my posture, there was a difference in how I carried myself and therefore how I "carried" my belly. Again. Not fat loss.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If it's your muscles you want to work planks are great. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are working work back too, not just your "abs". Also, if you've had children you should check to make sure you don't have Diastasis recti, aka abdominal separation, some exercises will make it worse & cause further damage.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your body Burns Sugary before it burns fat. the less sugar you eat the sooner your body can focus on burning the fat.

xx

No, if you are in a deficit it does not matter where the cals come for weight loss.

Additionally, your body will make glycogen to refill stores from your protien and fat if you do not get enough "sugar" aka carbs in your diet. Reduced sugar may be a good thing for various health reasons but you body does not burn sugar first. There is only one way to lose weight and it was stated above. Consume less energy than you burn.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I will say my piece and then probably get slaughtered by the "calories in = calories out" people

What you choose to put in your mouth first and foremost...Google "fructose carbs and belly fat" - read and make your own conclusions... *please note all the people who think i am saying carbs and sugars are bad - I am NOT saying that...I am merely pointing out that this has been proven by a number of studies and well respected doctors and the overabundance of those two items in one's diet can cause belly fat ...(and in this day and age many people have an overabundance of these items in their everyday eating habits - if you have a well balanced diet and calories in = calories out works for you - wonderful don't change a thing).

Exercises to your core will help strengthen the muscles underneath
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I totally agree that sugar and carbs cause belly fat - as does a high level of cortisol (which i have) and PCOS (which i have). this is how i got here in the first place! lol

now - i drink between 12-15 glasses of water a day and eat clean (no dairy/gluten...very low carb/sugar)...so i know what i'm doing is good for me...
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If it's your muscles you want to work planks are great. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are working work back too, not just your "abs". Also, if you've had children you should check to make sure you don't have Diastasis recti, aka abdominal separation, some exercises will make it worse & cause further damage.

Exactly the points I was going to make!! Planks, Pilates and/or yoga with proper form -- these balance the abs work with back exercises.

And as you already noticed, proper posture makes a belly flatter / protrude less.
  • mmapags
    Options

Exactly the points I was going to make!! Planks, Pilates and/or yoga with proper form -- these balance the abs work with back exercises.

And as you already noticed, proper posture makes a belly flatter / protrude less.

These will improve fitness and give better posture and possibly make the belly look flatter butthey will not redcue belly fat specifically. do enough of them along with lots of other things and your belly will get flatter as you lose fat and gain muscle.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I will say my piece and then probably get slaughtered by the "calories in = calories out" people

What you choose to put in your mouth first and foremost...Google "fructose carbs and belly fat" - read and make your own conclusions... *please note all the people who think i am saying carbs and sugars are bad - I am NOT saying that...I am merely pointing out that this has been proven by a number of studies and well respected doctors and the overabundance of those two items in one's diet can cause belly fat ...(and in this day and age many people have an overabundance of these items in their everyday eating habits - if you have a well balanced diet and calories in = calories out works for you - wonderful don't change a thing).

Exercises to your core will help strengthen the muscles underneath

No slaughter becuse I agree with most of what you said. The part I'm not on board with is the direct fructose and belly fat correlation. There are studies that say yes it does and those that say no it doesn't and when you google it that's what you get. I am not a straight calories in/ calories out advocate. I think simple sugars and carbs are to be avoided and minimized and have negative health effects overall. But just like there is no way to spot lose, I don't think there is a way to spot gain. In the larger view, many people ahve lsot weight and improved heatlh without eliminating these items. For my, I chose to eliminate them as they cause cravings and insulin resistance IN ME. I'm sure they do in many others also or a strategy of cutting them wouldn't be reported as beneficial as often as it is.

I do believe in keeping carbs complex and fibrous and at levels at or lower than 150 grams per day for the above stated reasons. Then I am more able to reduce intake to a level that I lose weight. So, I do think there are ways to adjust macros and gravitate toward certain kinds of foods that are more dense nutritionally and away from those that aren't. I think the whole twinkie diet hypothesis and that you can eat whatever you want as long as you are in a deficit is a sementical debate that serves no real practical purpose. But conversely I don't believe in a "just eat this" or jsut eliminate this" approach. Eat whole nutritious foods in appropriate amounts and exercise to etiher maintain or at a deficit to lose.

Bottom line for me is that I don't beleive there is a way to spot reduce or spot gain. If you are not active enough and you eat too many calories of all kinds, you'll gain. If you workout and control calories, you'll lose.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Just do planks/side planks etc...It will firm the muscle up on your stomach and will help pull things in.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just eat a calorie deficit and workout. No matter how many crunches and situps you do, it would never target your belly fat. Abs = low body fat, if you want to get rid of your belly fat and eventually see your abs, you need less than 10-12% body fat.

OP is a woman, so she should be able to see abs at 15%, women should not go lower than 10-13% as that is the amount of essential fat, men's essential fat is only 3-5%.

I think you can see some definition before 15%. I am nowhere near 15%, but you can see some definition on my abs.

I found full body exercises (burpees,etc), plyometrics (squat jumps, tuck jumps, etc) and strength training to be the best at losing the fat.
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    I KNOW YOU CANT TARGET AREAS....but you can do exercises to strengthen your core (bicycle ab exercises, planks, captain chair) Im large chested as well and to avoid back problems I do a good core training workout (abs and back)

With my diet, cardio, weight lifting and core exercises I have noticed a difference in my abs(smaller tighter), back and less back pain.....

Dont hunch over woman stand tall and proud, stomach in shoulders, back....being in good posture all day works your abs and back..try it you'll feel it.