What should my macros be set to?

Options
For now I am set to eat 1,300 calories per day and eat some back if i exercise. I don't eat meat, and probably only eat fish once a week if that, so i'm wondering what my macros carbs, protein, sugar etc should be set to and if these are the most important things to track?

I'm 130lb, and 5'6.

Replies

• hmckitrick
    Options
    I found a great calculator which seems to be accurate. You have to be a member of body building.com, but it's free to join.

Go to audieswu's post, his post has the attachments: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121564231&p=477658701#post477658701
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    A good macro balance is VERY important. I'm set at 45 carbs/25 protein/30 fat. Even if you don't eat meat, you should still be eating things like peanut butter, whole grains, greek yogurt, fish, nuts, seeds, beans, etc. to get your protein. Also, some vegetables have protein as well.

Are you trying to lose, or maintain? 'Cause you look awesome in your pic! Just curious. :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you know your body fat % set your protein at 0.8 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, otherwise by 0.7 grams per pound of goal weight. So if your goal weight is 120lbs, set your protein to around 85 grams, which is just over 25% protein on a 1300 cal diet, so set it at 25%. For fat take 0.35grams/lb of body weight so at 130 that would be 45 grams or just over 30% so set fat at 30%, and the remainder can be from any of the 3 sources, if you prefer they can all be carbs, so your ratio would be:
    45/25/30, carbs, protein, fat.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would say this depends on what your goals are in terms of nutrition. As far as not eating meat and eating fish infrequently - this doesn't affect your macros.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I found that the protein was a LOT lower than the nutritionist I worked with had set up for me. After some experimentation I find that I set my Carb/Protein/Fat to 40%/40%/20% and I get good results. I am maintaining, or trying to, a large muscle mass. However, 15% Protein seems to be a bit low for anyone working out IMHO.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am trying to lose a little weight (15lbs). Don't know how accurate it is, but according to an online body fat calculator my % is 22.23

Oh and I'm working out for 60 - 90 mins 5/6 times per week including cardio and strength.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    So working on eric's formula above, does 20% protein, 25% fat, and 40% carbs sound ok?
  • erickirb
    Options
    So working on eric's formula above, does 20% protein, 25% fat, and 40% carbs sound ok?

That doesn't add up to 100%, you are missing 15%. I had your numbers, not based on BF%, as 45/25/30 carbs/protein/fat, but anything within that ball park should be fine Carbs 40-50, protein 20-30, fat 20-30%
  • missfancy1980
    Options

That doesn't add up to 100%, you are missing 15%. I had your numbers, not based on BF%, as 45/25/30 carbs/protein/fat, but anything within that ball park should be fine Carbs 40-50, protein 20-30, fat 20-30%

Ahh ok... haha thanks
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein more if you're working out that much ... more like 35% carb / 40% protein / 25% fat but that's me!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I really like 40/30/30 (c/p/f). It seems to be the most sustainable and effective for me. I do a lot of cardio (run 25+ miles a week) so I like having a little more carbs, but I still try to keep my protein above 100g a day because I also lift 3x a week.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I really like 40/30/30 (c/p/f). It seems to be the most sustainable and effective for me. I do a lot of cardio (run 25+ miles a week) so I like having a little more carbs, but I still try to keep my protein above 100g a day because I also lift 3x a week.

This is what I do...
  • erickirb
    Options
    I would up your protein more if you're working out that much ... more like 35% carb / 40% protein / 25% fat but that's me!

No need to go about 25-30% as long as you are getting enough grams.

I am currently on 45/25/30 carbs, protein/fat, myself and tend to get >120 grams of protein/day, which is about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, and I tend to perform better with carbs in the 45-50% range.
  • dougneal
    dougneal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you calculate protein intake should you use your lean mass or current weight? I am 280lbs right now and at 1g per pound that is 280g a day of protein which is overkill in my opinion. Please help!
  • erickirb
    Options
    When you calculate protein intake should you use your lean mass or current weight? I am 280lbs right now and at 1g per pound that is 280g a day of protein which is overkill in my opinion. Please help!

Lean body weight. If you don't know your BF% aim for 0.75-0.8grams per lb. of total weight.
  • dougneal
    dougneal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    keep for later.