Should I have my earned calories

Options
Hi

Today I did loads of exercise and earned like 1700 calories:) my question is should I make sure I have them calories to repair my muscles or should I try to stick to my normal intake.

Probably a proper NOOB question but I am confused.

Thanks
James:huh:

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You really should pretty much always eat them back. You don't have to always eat all of them. But I would make sure to have something healthy out of it :)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat em. it never slowed me down.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Search for "eating back exercise calories", there are lots of opinions out there.

Most will tell you, yes you should eat some back. 1,700 is a lot burned, I personally would only eat half of those back at most.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My body looks 10 times better since I started eating them back. 1700 is a lot, are you calculating them with a heart rate monitor or MFP?
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    <
    am pretending to eat all your calories now!:-)
    Yes, eat them..
  • rayvon1982
    Options
    am using mfp and mapmyride app I guess I should eat some not all right??
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Should eat them back, but 1700 seems a high number to be honest. I wouldn't be sure if that is accurate.

Have a look in the forums for threads on eating them back.

There is a perfectly logical explanation why it is advised.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have more strength for my next workout if I ate some of the exercise calories back from the day before. I don't always but I definately eat some if I'm hungry. You worked out, you're hungry, eat! Just make them good and healthy calories with at least some protein in them, not a big piece of cake or junk.
    And wtg on the awesome burn!!!
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Depends how many calories you're aiming for. If you're on 1200 calories a day then definitely eat them back as that's the lowest you should go to. If you're on higher cals then I'd say eat maybe half or 2/3 back. MFP has set you a big enough deficit to lose your weekly target so you shouldn't need to skip on these calories.

As someone already pointed out though, that is a lot of exercise calories. Be sure to have logged properly. x
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor when I exercise & eat all my calories back. I'm pretty confident that the calorie burn numbers are accurate.

If there is a question about whether or not your exericise calories are overstated ..... then eat a percentage of your calories back. Keep an eye on your progress and adjust (up or down) accordingly.
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    am using mfp and mapmyride app I guess I should eat some not all right??

MFP grossly over-estimates calories burned so yeah I would say eat some back but not all.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat at least half of them back. It doesn't have to be junk food either. You can eat a lot of healthy food for 850 calories. Enjoy, you worked hard! :drinker:
  • rayvon1982
    Options
    I did 2 hours mountain biking then 15 minutes running do the calories sound about right???
  • getnfit4life
    getnfit4life Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I typically never eat them back...(usually 400 to 600 daily exercise cals) especially since I'm still trying to loose weight and in diet mode. I just make sure my food calories are somewhere between 1000 to 1200 daily.

However, if I plan on going off the diet and splurge on something tasty....of course I will eat them back with no guilt...however no progress either.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I did 2 hours mountain biking then 15 minutes running do the calories sound about right???

Calorie burn is based upon several factors: age, weight, height, gender, and fitness level.

That burn sounds high for me ...... but maybe it's not high for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Possible, looking over my Garmin logs from last summer I seemed to have been averaging around 700 cal for a 19km ride (45 min) on my road bike. I'm not sure how the intensity may compare but if you were riding hard for 2 hrs.

I've found quite a variance between what MFP calculates and my HRM does (HRM invariably lower). Until you have a heart rate monitor I'd suggest eat back at least a portion (maybe 60 to75%) of your exercise calories.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I think you may want to get a heart rate monitor. I could see a 1200 calorie burn for this but not 1700.

I highly suggest eating around 850 of them back, and like the previous poster said, not crappy stuff but healthy stuff, like nuts and lean turkey meat. You for sure will want a good amount of protein for all that work.

I seriously was against eating mine back but the difference it has made in my body is incredible since I started eating them back as well as raise the number of calories I had been eating.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I could definitely see this as being pretty close on calorie burn. You could definitely hit 700-800 calories in an hour of mountain biking depending on the intensity of the track etc.......keep in mind if it is a pretty flat track and your intensity is not very high it could be < 400 / hour as well. Would help to know your weight and the distance traveled in those 2 hours.