unexplained weight gain?

Options
I have been on MFP for three weeks and have limited my calorie intake to about 1.200 a day. Much to my dismay this week I have gained 2 pounds Im very disapointed HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?

Replies

• reannont
    reannont Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if u limit yourself to much your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything u eat causing sometimes weight game
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That is not an unusual fluctuation, it could also be fluid retention. What was your sodium intake in the past couple of days?
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Check your food. Did you eat a lot of sodium? If so, drink a ton of water over the next couple of days to flush it out. Also, if you just started exercising sometimes your glycogen store (where your muscles store energy) beefs itself up.

It isn't fat. That doesn't mean it will come off tomorrow, but then again it might. Trust me, I go up and down one, two and sometimes three pounds over and over again for no reason. What you need to watch for is the progress. As long as you are headed in a downwards direction overall you are doing well. I thought I was on a plateau for the last three weeks, but it turns out I have gone down about a pound a week, it just took a while to "settle".
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Check online reviews about your scale.
    About half of all reviewers say their scale is inaccurate and it records 1 - 2 lbs weight gain in just one day.

Check your diet, are you eating a lot of bread? Other than processed meals, bread is responsible for high sodium intake.

You may need a check-up at the doctor's, rule out any health issues or allergies.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too little.
    You may be retaining water.
    You may be having an allergic reaction to something.
    You may be getting sick.

There are so many reasons for being up in weight. I can fluctuate that much on a daily basis.
    Have you been exercising? Doing something different from what your body was used to? Are you drinking enough water? Do you eat a lot of processed foods? Are you getting enough protein/carbs/fat?
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating, believe me.

I've been on here now for 11 weeks and my weight is always going up, down, staying the same and then a big loss. I've been working out more, eating better, drinking more water. I'm doing more cardio, started weights, eating more than 1200 cals but under my BMR goal of 1580 and yet I gained 2lbs today. I know that it will eventually come off, and for me it's probably muscle as I've been incorporating a lot of weights in to my exercise workouts, it could also be water as i drank about 3 litres yesterday. I think at the end of the day 'you' know if you have done enough, if you think you have then just hang on in there - and measure. I only started measuring myself 2 weeks ago and sometimes I don't lose the weight but have lost inches. I forgot to measure myself this morning (in a rush) so not sure if I've lost inches this week or not.

Good luck and just stick with it. x
  • leahhelene
    leahhelene Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    please read this.... it changed my whole outlook on dieting, and made me realize I had starved myself into fatness. When I started MFP, I initially gained 3-4 pounds. I only lose about 1/3 pound per week, and for some of us that is just the way it is. Especially after growing obese on less than 1000 per day. Just stick wtih it! You should get a scale that weights in tenths if you can, because you may not notice any progress if you are like me and could get discouraged. I should reach my target goal by August of 2013, but to me, that is better than the years I spend unable to lose an ounce at all.

The secret for me was eating MORE

please read this, its also posted around this forum several times.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm
  • msmorgiep
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. But knowing my body I would check sugar intake. Things like bananas or carrots or starches even dairy. My body will suck up any form of sugar it can. So I would look into that.
  • srod003
    srod003 Posts: 1
    Options
    My mom has a fast metabolism, she can eat as much of whatever she wants and not get fat. It's hard to grow up in a house where you are the one that eats less, more healthy, works out the most and still is the fatest. It's like running in quick sand. All my life I've been overweight, and I hate it. Although I've had a lot of great moments in my life I know that they can be a lot better if I didn't feel trapped in this body that I don't see as mine (I don't belong in this body).

Never give up just because you don't see the results you want, keep moving forward.