Weight training program?????

Options
Does anyone know where a beginner such as myself can find a weight training program. What I am looking for is something that clearly outlines what days, what exercises, how many sets/reps to do to start out. I understand that I will have to change the routine to continue to get results, but I work best if I have something I can follow. It would also be nice if there were explanations of each exercise, such as how to do them correctly and safely. I've done some internet searches, but figured I would get better advice from all of you out there. Ready, GO!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Google the Stronglifts 5x5 program. There are a number of articles and variations on it, but a few minutes with google should give you a good starting point. It's generally thought of as one of the best beginner routines. As with all things strength training, pay attention to your form.
  • danoprince
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give it a go!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5.

Either way buy Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength. It's a godsend.
  • treatingmybodyright
    treatingmybodyright Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think bodybuilding.com is a great place to start. They have PDFs of workout log sheets along with videos of each exercise: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/. I am doing some of the workouts from Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer, but I've also printed off tons of other log sheets for specific body parts that I want to work.

Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    have you checked out the book 'the new rules of lifting'? you should. :)
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I will second, third, fourth and fifth SL 5x5. The program does just about everything for you. you just have to go to the gym and put in the work. I started it about 11 weeks ago and I am seeing great results. Just make sure that you are feeding your body properly. Building the muscle will melt the fat but you need nutrition to support muscle growth.
  • briguy71
    briguy71 Posts: 2
    Options
    You can also find a lot of information on bodybuilding.com which can be helpful as it asks for input on your age, what your trying to do (gain muscle, lose fat, etc) and then will offer up different program ideas. I buy my supplements there as well, so have had good luck with the site. Either way, as your other post indicated- just do some searching online and you can find tons of info out there. Find one you like, and then you can change up after 3-4 months. Good luck
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Google the Stronglifts 5x5 program. There are a number of articles and variations on it, but a few minutes with google should give you a good starting point. It's generally thought of as one of the best beginner routines. As with all things strength training, pay attention to your form.

Another vote for 5x5
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    HAHA didnt see all the other posts about bodybuilding.com/Jamie Eason. But there are great programs there!

You could also try Jamie Eason LiveFit or go to bodybuilding.com, there are some great programs on there.