what should i do when im just so so hungry?

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you like pickles, they have 0 calories.

AND A TON OF SODIUM.

Not healthy.

Eat some cucumbers instead.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The way you can tell if you're hungry or just in the mood for something is..........True hunger---you'll eat just about anything. Craving----You have something specific in mind:tongue:

I've never thought about hunger like that, and I really like that! It's true that hunger makes everything taste fantastic, but it's unfortunate that hunger (at least for me) usually leads to eat-whatever-I-can-as-fast-as-I-can, and that usually equals Chinese carry out or pizza. So I don't like to make decisions when I'm actually hungry, but I'll definitely think twice about why I'm saying "let's get Mexican tonight"--is it an innocent desire for spicy food or an emotional-based craving? Hmmm
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it is all slightly confusing though just because ive never done calorie counts.
    ive been trying to stick to 1200 calories or under regardless of what excercise i do ..??

You SHOULD be eating the calories you burn from exercise back. Starvation mode alert!!
  • mmclachlan10
    Options
    If you are hungry, having a healthy snack isn't going to kill you :) If you feel like it is too much work to count calories and your hungry all the time, you will probably end up quitting... so I say go ahead and have a HEALTHY snack.

When I started MFP, I didn't know that exercising would increase my calorie allowance. As soon as I found out that If I exercised a little I could have a little more to eat... I went right to the gym :) On days that I know I am going out to dinner or drinks etc., I will exercise an extra 20-30 minutes or so... that way I can compensate for the extra calories I will probably eat at dinner.

Instead of laying on the ground doing sit ups, try taking a fun class like Zumba or BodyPump.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Why not eat more? You can lose weight by eating more and exercising. Why are you trying to stay UNDER 1200 calories? That won't accomplish anything .
    [/quote]

im new at this and still getting the hang of it, I had thought tho goal was to try stay under 1200.
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat....Just make good choices. If you are excercising you should be able to go over the 1200 calories per day anyway. If you can not make the changes you are making fit realtively comfortably into your lifestyle, they will be difficult to maintain. Good luck on your journey. You can do this!
  • rz28e4
    rz28e4 Posts: 1
    Options
    So the trick is to not allow yourself to feel hungry. I was always told to eat every two hours and not allow your body to become starving. If you do eat that often and your still hungry try eating foods with lots of low fat and high protein foods. I hope this helps.:)
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    the actual type of food I eat definately isnt the problem. im a bit of a natural/health food freak. dont like eating processed foods, i dont like cream i think its revolting, i generally dont have a lot of dairy other than yogurt because it makes me feel gross, ive always eaten healthy foods, ( its the having a child and lack of exercise thats gotten me this big) just never calorie counted and was obviously getting confused about how it works.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Nods, the way MFP is designed is that you're giving yourself a certain deficit just by the calories. When you exercise, you burn calories, so when you eat the calories back you're maintaining the *same* deficit as you originally set.

If your calories are going too low (for you), yes, it'll make you have difficulty concentrating and thinking. This is probably a sign that you're being too aggressive with your weightloss goals. A few low days won't probably do much, but after a few I start to think about food a lot and have intellectual difficulties. For me, the borderline between think/no think is at about 1400 net. YMMV.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    30togomoveit wrote:
    a pint is 16 oz.

473 ml = 1 pint US liquid
    550 ml = 1 pint dry (used for fruit etc)
    568 ml = 1 pint imperial

29.6 ml = 1 ounce US fluid
    28.4 ml = 1 ounce Imperial
    28.3 g = 1 ounce avoirdupois
    31.1 g = 1 ounce troy (used for metals)

If a pint is listed for a food item, reasonable readers (using liquid versions only) can interpret it as 16, 17, 19, or 20 fluid ounces. It's handy when food items list the metric value.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Eat something protein-laden. Or, make sure you're getting sufficient protein in the morning and afternoon so that your stomach isn't growling. I find protein shakes (or even making sure I get some grilled chicken or steak on a salad) to be really filling. If you're stomach-hungry and not just brain-hungry (bored, stressed), definitely eat something! Changing your eating habits shouldn't involve going hungry just to meat a calorie goal.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hello Ebony_

Just to explain how this site works. When you put in your details you were asked for height, weight and ideal loss per week. based on this MFP gave you 1200. This probably means that you probably either don't have much weight to lose (under 30lbs) or that you put in 2lbs a week loss - or both. The less weight you have to lose the less per week you should aim for, slower is better and healthier.

Also, the figure MFP gave you allows you to lose weight without exercise. It is already low enough. As such, if you exercise you can, if you want, eat back those calories. I would recommend doing so as you NEED fuel for those workouts!

I hope you continue to enjoy it here, it really is a great resource.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, having a healthy snack isn't going to kill you :) If you feel like it is too much work to count calories and your hungry all the time, you will probably end up quitting... so I say go ahead and have a HEALTHY snack.

When I started MFP, I didn't know that exercising would increase my calorie allowance. As soon as I found out that If I exercised a little I could have a little more to eat... I went right to the gym :) On days that I know I am going out to dinner or drinks etc., I will exercise an extra 20-30 minutes or so... that way I can compensate for the extra calories I will probably eat at dinner.

Instead of laying on the ground doing sit ups, try taking a fun class like Zumba or BodyPump.

What she said! Thats what I do!
  • Smuterella
    Options

You should be shooting for 80% of your CURRENT BMR. That may be less than 1200....but also probably not.

Where on earth did you get this from? You should not eat under your BMR, unless you are trying to lose weight whilst being unable to move AT ALL. Your BMR is the minimum you need to function healthily.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I ate carrot sticks the other day instead of a cadbury egg.

Now THAT is impressive. I would most likely give in hahaha! Unless I had just worked out, then I wouldnt waste my workout like that. Way to go!
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello Ebony_

Just to explain how this site works. When you put in your details you were asked for height, weight and ideal loss per week. based on this MFP gave you 1200. This probably means that you probably either don't have much weight to lose (under 30lbs) or that you put in 2lbs a week loss - or both. The less weight you have to lose the less per week you should aim for, slower is better and healthier.

Also, the figure MFP gave you allows you to lose weight without exercise. It is already low enough. As such, if you exercise you can, if you want, eat back those calories. I would recommend doing so as you NEED fuel for those workouts!

I hope you continue to enjoy it here, it really is a great resource.

That was easy to understand! Nice LisaSmuts
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat hun if you are really hungry. If your body is shouting at you then it's completely fine (and right) to give in and eat. Make it healthy and you can feel totally guilt free. If the hunger continues then I would think about re-assessing your calorie settings.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    I'm just going by every other thing I've read on here. Usually most people are very "don't eat under your BMR" - yours is the first time I've ever seen anyone recommend it. No need to get nasty, swearing in stars is still swearing, dear.
  • nbawden
    nbawden Posts: 3
    Options
    Veggies veggies veggies!
  • abettiga
    abettiga Posts: 2
    Options
    How much protein are you taking in? Perhaps a protein shake? I noticed if I dont eat enough protein I'm starving and head for junk food.