eating the right number of calories

Hi! I've been on myfitnesspal for a while and I've always been instructed to eat 1200 calories/day in order to meet the specific goals I have. Recently I've started working out more frequently and more vigorously and when I updated my days/week of exercise, my calorie number increased (obviously!) to 1320. I know it's normal for calorie numbers to increase for more activity but I guess I just wanted verbal confirmation that this amount of calorie intake is correct/good!
For more info, I'm 5'5", 19 years old, and weigh 130 pounds. I'm just trying to lose about 10 pounds for the summer, and I am working out about 5 days a week for 45 minutes.

Thanks for any comments you might have!!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    It actually sounds a little low if you're working out as much as you say you are! So yeah, I suppose it's a good number.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    If you are working out 5 times a week you should probably increase your calories, your body needs them to fuels and repair after each workout. Don't be afraid to eat back your calories, down the bottom of your diary will show you how many extra you've earned so your daily limit will increase depending on how much you workout.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    5'5" and 130lbs is not overweight by any means.

I'm not going to address calories specifically, because at this point, I wonder why you are looking to drop POUNDS. When you're not overweight, pounds on the scale might be muscle or they might be fat. I would suggest you change your goal - Instead of looking at weight, take a look at body fat percentage.

I am 5'7", my body at 140-142 (when I've been building muscle) looks better and leaner than my "skinny fat" body at 135.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    At your height, age and weight, 1200 and 1300 are really quite low. You're already at a healthy weight for your height, and would probably notice a LOT more difference in your body if you set your goal to a half pound a week, increase your protein, eat most of your exercise calories, and add strength training. I'm twice your age, and I'm maintaining at about 2100 calories a day (1840+exercise calories).

Case in point, my photos from last July at 130 pounds, and now at 130 pounds. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/same-weight-since-july-224635
  • kenleighprendergast
    kenleighprendergast Posts: 13 Member
    Okay yes I can agree with that, I'm really looking more to tone up and develop muscles where I'm a little flabby rather than losing pounds.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    In your case, I would eat the amount of calories it takes to maintain your weight at 130 - But make some changes in how you eat and exercise. Lift heavy weights more often than you do cardio, eat more protein, less sugars/carbs. You will see that flab converted into muscle!!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    go to : www.fat2fitradio.com/tools

Military body fat calculator

once you get that number do the BMR calculator, same site under tools.

I'd say you are moderately active, you work out 5x a week. so my guess is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) or amount of calories to maintain is about 2000 or so... that is what mine is and we have very similar body stats (I am 5'4" and 125)... so i'd say maybe eat about 1800-1900 if you want to drop just a little and do it the slow and easy way. i think you'd probably be ok at 125 but getting any lower than that, i'm not sure why you'd want to.