Going over daily protien goal?

Options
darkmouzy
darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
It seems that I'm easily going over my protien goal, but that's because I tend to eat chicken, greek yogurt, and protien shakes alot (because i have one in the morning every moring and even post work out later in the day) and some other foods as well.

Is this ok or...?

Replies

• bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am always over my goal for protein. :tongue:
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I also go over my protein goal quite often. I eat eggs, chicken, greek yogurts, protein shakes, fish, red meats, etc. I always tend to hit my protein goal first out of Carbs, Protein and Fat lol.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    What do you have your protein set at? MFP sets it low because they use the USDA defaults. Weight loss recommendation unless your lifting is 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein. That would likely fix you up.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is a site that explores fitness questions using science. Your question is answered here - http://examine.com/faq/can-eating-too-much-protein-be-bad-for-you.html
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been going over mine too because I read that protein helps heal and strengthen your muscles after exercise. I choose the same types of protein as you, chicken, fish, yogurt, low carb protein shakes and no fat dairy. I think that carbs are important so I won't eliminate them but I think that it is good for your body to have more protein especially if you are exercising. I have noticed that I am losing weight easier that I am eating about 10g over my protein limit for the day but staying under or at the levels I should be intaking for calories, carbs, sugar and sodium. I also feel like I have more energy. Listen to your body.
  • darkmouzy
    Options
    My goal is set at 45 but i'm easily eating about 85 a day, I do cardio and strength training in the same day though and I'm hitting my carbs and fats pretty well and satying on target there.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I'm always over it too. I feel better about going over that rather than fat or carbs though.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Chang your MFP settings. The numbers that it's set up for are woefully low on protein.
  • darkmouzy
    Options
    alright thank you everyone! This puts my mind at ease :)

@Kara- Yes I'm like that too! haha
    @Julien- Thank you I will have to do that after my classes today :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Another vote for changing the settings. 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat, or about 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body weight is recommended for most people. I try to get 100 g of protein daily. Sounds like you are eating the right things.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I am over my protein almost every day also.But it is like 4 points over most of the time.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. Don't be afraid to change the percentages. Read and find the one that's best for your lifestyle. I wasn't losing weight and working with a coach who told me I was not eating enough protein for all the activities I do. I changed my % protein up and wow do I feel better, even lost a few more pounds, but I just feel so much better. I exercise at least 60 minutes a day with swim, bike and run alternating.
  • darkmouzy
    Options
    Its great to know that i'm on the right track! Im having trouble changing the % can some one helps me? Its much appreciated!
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    Going over in protein is OK! :)
    I go over in protein just about every day (I do have a protein shake every morning..lol)

Protein is great to keep you full, and for muscle repair! don't sweat it, aim to be higher in protein and less in the carbs/sodium section. Going over in protein probably means your daily diet is well :)
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Under your Home tab, its under goals, change goals. :)