Work out at work...is it possible?

Options
I sit at a desk from 10am to 6pm, then drive 45 mins home which makes it about 6:45, eat dinner, and then....IT'S TOO DARK TO WALK OUTSIDE. I love walking. I have those Reebok shape up shoes (which actually work), but I want to do more.

I want to do something during the day. Does anyone have some work out ideas that I can do at my desk? (I've researched it, but they seem a little impractical.)

Replies

• Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Wall push ups for arm toning?
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ok honestly, I have done some things...Most unrealistic for most people is a weighted hula hoop...I like to do this when everyone is out to lunch.

Ok, more realistic. I like to do squats and lunges in the bathroom or if no one is around. I also keep a kettle bell under my desk. You can do all sorts of things with a kettlebell.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I take my lunch break and do a Pilates class, go for a run or take a walk. Could you do the same?

I also got a balance ball chair for my office which is awesome.
  • JAM7791
    JAM7791 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I walk for an hour during my lunch breaks and it has really helped!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would walk before work.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I do squats and lift weights in my office. Granted, I close my door and have no windows, so no one can see me. :) But it has really helped a lot! I save my cardio for at the gym. And when things quiet down, I try to take walks. I can't leave the building because my work phone loses reception if it goes outside the walls, but I work in a HUGE building, so I take the stairs randomly up and down and wander the halls.
  • tkdbutterfly
    Options
    If you have a desk that will allow for it there are little tiny bicycles that are just pedals that you can use. They are inexpensive and if you have the clearance under the desk work great!

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331823920&sr=8-10
  • futuremrsh_71412
    Options
    I close my door and do a ten minute video on youtube for some cardio exercises. Or I play some music and just do a workout of my own, marching in place, leg lifts, squats. Now that it is getting warmer out, I have been taking a walk on my lunch break and then eating my lunch while I work.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I run steps during all my breaks and lunch. I have been doing it for over one year, my legs are looking great!!
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work in a church and take breaks every half hour to hour and walk 15 laps around the big meeting room or my office but I have a very flexible daily schedule and I'm usually the only person here anyway so I can get up and walk when I want.

edited to add...oops, I missed the 'at your desk" part. Sorry!
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    Options
    In a building with more than one floor? I walk/run the stairs (only 4 flights in my building) several times each day.
  • NemoDog
    NemoDog Posts: 61
    Options
    Our office has a completly seperate handicap washroom however we have no handicap employees on our floor.
    I lock myself in there for 20 minutes for a quick jog in place session everyday during my lunch hour.
    Not ideal but a solution for me...
  • MusicLady718
    Options
    I work literally from 10-6pm and technically don't have a break :( It's crazy, I know! but I am going to try and do that.
  • MusicLady718
    Options
    In a building with more than one floor? I walk/run the stairs (only 4 flights in my building) several times each day.

That's a great idea!
  • MusicLady718
    Options
    If you have a desk that will allow for it there are little tiny bicycles that are just pedals that you can use. They are inexpensive and if you have the clearance under the desk work great!

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331823920&sr=8-10

I actually have one of those! My mom got one when she had her knee replaced, and now it's just sitting in her house.

Thanks!
  • MusicLady718
    Options
    Personally, I would walk before work.

Ick! That means I'd have to get up at 6am! Yes I realize people get up regularly at that time to go to work.

I just need to commit!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I do push-ups against my desk, chair squats, and calf raises. You can google these for images.
  • dsipes3262
    dsipes3262 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I work on the 3rd floor of my office building. Everytime I need to go to the restroom, I go to the one on the first floor so that I have to come back up the stairs to get back to my desk. It has helped quite a bit with building stamina for the stairs. I don't huff and puff as much as I used to.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I hide a pair of workout clothes at my work, and when I'm early, I workout to 10 minute kickboxing or jumping videos on youtube. Luckily I have a solid door with no windows. :) i also keep a bottle of dry shampoo on hand in case i get TOO stinky. :D
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thats where I get 90 percent of mine I work maintaince at a facility with multiple buildings so I walk A lot, I have a spot where I do a pushup routine and ab routine, I also am able to normally get a 8 mile run in at lunch time unless something comes up like today I was only able to get a 6 mile run in. A little sweat stink is not a problem I work at a Waste Water Treatment Plant.