Is it healthy not to eat before exercise in the morning?

Options

Replies

• mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that it is most effective to eat about half an hour before a work out and then each protein rich things afterwards :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    no
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that it is most effective to eat about half an hour before a work out and then each protein rich things afterwards :)

Yep!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest doing intense exercise on a completely empty stomach, first thing in the morning. I'm sure some people probably CAN, I just wouldn't suggest it. If you can force yourself to eat something small, I would do that - There's no good reason to exercise on empty.
  • adamb83
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest doing intense exercise on a completely empty stomach, first thing in the morning. I'm sure some people probably CAN, I just wouldn't suggest it. If you can force yourself to eat something small, I would do that - There's no good reason to exercise on empty.

Exactly right! Can you get a good workout on an empty stomach? Sure.

The question was: Is it "healthy" not to eat before "intensive" exercise. The answer to that is no.
  • burninmoon
    Options
    apparently if you go for a 30min jog before eating you burn more of then you would jogging after eating
    as the muscles calls upon fat reserves for energy quicker as there is less in you bloody stream !!
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i get up at 6.30 am to work out before work, so i have breakfast after i workout, theres no way i would want to workout after work, im just too exhausted cos work is really, really busy.
  • xjlishey1
    xjlishey1 Posts: 286
    Options
    you should eat at least 20 minutes before you work out. Good pre workout snacks are oatmeal, bananas, sweet potatoe. They will give you a boost of energy as well. Don't ever workout on an empty stomach.
  • kristi3565
    Options
    bump
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it is healthy or not but I cannot eat and then work out. I get sick to my stomach. I drink some water, workout and then after about 20 minutes after the work out I eat a protein filled breakfast. I hope this helps you.

This..... although I do have to have my one a day cup of coffee when I get up. But then it's brush my teeth, water and workout. Protein filled breakfast as above and I'm off for the day.

If you don't have time to make a full breakfast, why not do protein shakes? I keep my blender right on my counter on the off chance I can't fit in cooking so I can grab, mix and keep moving along.
  • bzmommy34
    Options
    So here's a really easy breakfast option that you can cook on the weekend. It takes one minute to heat up and eat. Literally.

Get some sillicone muffin pans and spray with pam. Mix up eggs like you're going to scramble them. Add in meat (bacon, ham, etc). Top with cheese. Bake at 350. I can't remember the time.

Then store in the fridge. Re-heat and there's your breakfast.

Great option - I'm going to use this. :)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I can't, but my husband does PT every weekday morning before breakfast and he's fine. I think it's about an hour and a half.
  • bzmommy34
    Options

The question was: Is it "healthy" not to eat before "intensive" exercise. The answer to that is no.

Can you explain why it isn't healthy? I'm not being a smart a** either - I really do want to know because if not eating before I work out is harming me than I want to see if I can change up my routine. I've tried to eat before and unless I wait a hour to exercise, I get really queasy. I've been working out 5-6 days a week for 4 weeks now without eating before and feel it works for me. Help? :(
  • adamb83
    Options

Can you explain why it isn't healthy? I'm not being a smart a** either - I really do want to know because if not eating before I work out is harming me than I want to see if I can change up my routine. I've tried to eat before and unless I wait a hour to exercise, I get really queasy. I've been working out 5-6 days a week for 4 weeks now without eating before and feel it works for me. Help? :(

Posted it earlier in the thread....

"Your body needs the fuel - if you've just woken up, that means you've just fasted for 8-ish hours and you've got nothing to go on. A light workout or getting ready in the morning without eating first - probably fine. But if you're going to go burn a ton of calories, you need food. Otherwise your body could start eating away at your lean muscle and put your fat on lock-down (making it harder to lose weight, if that's the goal).

I would say at least have something simple - like a high protein shake (even slim fast or something similar) or a cup of greek yogurt with fruit, etc. You don't need to eat a whole meal - but you do need to get something in your system."
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio in the morning empty stomach has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that it boosts your fat loss 2X, since your blood sugar is low, you body immediately sends signal to your brain to start burning fat. Consume a post work out protein shake,

The only disadvantage is for someone who wants to lift heavy weights, then its better to eat something. The logic is simple, when you are on a elliptical, for instance, you have access to all the blood glucose and glycogen of your body, however if you are doing just barbell curls you strain a very limited section of your body with smaller reserves of energy.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find I can go to an hour class or so without food in my stomach. I too find that I get an upset stomach if I do eat within 1.5 hours of working out, which makes work outs after work hard. My husband eats a banana before he works out and I find that it OK for my stomach. When I ran my second marathon, I ate raisins throughout the run and they were also very easy on my stomach. They give you that quick energy and help you make it through the exercise. Keep experimenting and find out what works for you. Even a small glass of milk might help and then you can give that work out your all.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There are studies that say not eating before breakfast burns more fat than if you do. Then there are studies that say that it affects the muscle.

I can say from my experience I burn more fat not eating before breakfast. How do I know because instead of listening to this person and that person I paid attention to my body.

Each person is different. When it comes to weight loss its mostly trial and error. Do your own research. Follow through with what the research says and make note of your own results. If you aren't getting the results you want then make the changes needed.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Please please please, read some of the science first. Don't go trying to force yourself to eat breakfast just because you think you should - that's how I put my weight on in the first place! I have no problem people eating breakfast if you want to, but you're not going to cause yourself harm if you don't!

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i do half my regimen before breakfast. if i'm feeling light headed or something, i have a pretzel or a small piece of chocolate (<20 cals) or something.
  • bzmommy34
    Options
    There are studies that say not eating before breakfast burns more fat than if you do. Then there are studies that say that it affects the muscle.

I can say from my experience I burn more fat not eating before breakfast. How do I know because instead of listening to this person and that person I paid attention to my body.

Each person is different. When it comes to weight loss its mostly trial and error. Do your own research. Follow through with what the research says and make note of your own results. If you aren't getting the results you want then make the changes needed.

Love this - thanks!