scales ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Options
Last week I stopped going to a simming club, as I couldnt afford the £5 a week, so have decided to go to Boots in town, and use their weighing machine, gives u ur BMI, and everything, only 50p. Well last week I weighed 12st 10lbs (at group), and Boots scales this morning say that I am 13st 7lbs, thats a difference of 11 lbs, am hoping that I havent put 11lbs on in a week, but am going to be going by wot the Boots scales say from now on

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember someone posted last week that they'd found the boots scale wildly inaccurate. I hope for your sake this is true! You can't have gained that much. The scales must be wonky.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Honestly what you should get is a package weighing scale. Its what I use, and they are pretty accurate. The only issue is they are a bit pricey, but very accurate
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    oh ! My worst nightmare is going on another 'trusted' scale and being like a stone heavier! But to be honest i would definately go with the weight watchers scales over boots! I mean when you look at how many people do weightwatchers and use their scales... also were you wearing shoes? As in ww i would always take mine off!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, it's not physically possible to gain 11 pounds in a week! For me, it doesn't matter what the scales actually say, as long as they are consistent. For example, it says you are 13 stone 7 lbs this week, if it says 13 stone 4lbs next week, you know you have still lost weight, even if the reading isn't actually correct. As long as the weight is going down, I think the actual number becomes less important.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Time of day and the clothes you're wearing can be huge influencing factor when you weigh in. I've used the Boots scales too and it had my height at 5ft3! Got my sister to measure me when I got home and I am definitely 5ft5!

I suggest investing in a set of good weighing scales yourself and weighing yourself at home at a set time.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, it's not physically possible to gain 11 pounds in a week! For me, it doesn't matter what the scales actually say, as long as they are consistent. For example, it says you are 13 stone 7 lbs this week, if it says 13 stone 4lbs next week, you know you have still lost weight, even if the reading isn't actually correct. As long as the weight is going down, I think the actual number becomes less important.

love this ^^
    My scales decided to go mental and have been using mechanical and the mental ones. Been going down consistently but wildly out from where I thought I was. Now I got better scales and all of a sudden I'm back on track and have lost all along but now it's right! If you know what I mean!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Honestly what you should get is a package weighing scale. Its what I use, and they are pretty accurate. The only issue is they are a bit pricey, but very accurate

Me too!

Maybe buy your own scale , and use same scale at the same time ,(in the same place) every week, first thing in the morning after the bathroom and before breakfast.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree that you almost certainly haven't put on that amount of weight in a week, but as long as you are using the same scale at the same time (roughly) of day each week and wearing similar clothes, you will be able to track whether you are losing, and maybe you could put aside a small amount each week, until you can buy your own set. I dont think it's massively important to have expensive super accurate ones, as long as they are consistent, so that you can keep track of whether your weight is going up and down. You should also be able to get a doctors appointment for a general check up, and they will weigh you there for free. Good luck!
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I bought a Tanita scale about 1 1/2 years ago and it is very accurate. Like someone else said, weigh yourself in the morning, and naked is usually the best, too. Clothes can be very 'weighty'.
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough I went into lloyds pharmacy on Saturday and I had lost near half a stone in a month, I went to boots this lunch roughly the same time and gained 4kg and thats after cycling 10 miles a day for 4 days, in fact the Lloyds said 90kg (started 93) and the Boots one said I was 94..

Salter 145 need to be ordered tonight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    No way you gained 11 pounds of fat in a week. That would be 38500 calories over maintenance. Not impossible, but not very likely.
  • Tamz36
    Tamz36 Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't really understand some of the terminology you guys are using, (stones? Boots? what the heck is that??) but I definitely understand the problem with scale fluctuation. I had scales at home and thought I was doing fairly well. Until I went to the Dr. and it showed very different results. So I purchased a new digital scales. And although from what I thought I lost to the new scales was a 52 lb difference, (i know...so sad), I am weighing accurate now. And since starting MFP last month, I've actually lost 6 lbs. I too know that weighing same time of day, naked, in the morning, after bathroom, before breakfast will usually show the most consistent results. Money providing, it might be beneficial for you to get your own set of scales.