Down two sizes but scale has barley dropped?

Has anyone else had this problem? I've recently dropped about six pounds in the past two weeks. I can finally fit into the jeans I squeezed into when I weighed 180, except I'm still at 200 pounds. Why is my weight not correlating?

Replies

• Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Because you are losing inches not pounds. Ignore the scale and use a tape measure :)
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    i am in the same position...i just have to focus on the inches and ignore the scale. i know i look smaller and toned so i am ok with that, i figure at some point the scales will have to move :)
  • mikeecus
    mikeecus Posts: 7
    So last year I made Chief ( a rank in the Navy). There is an intensive six-eight weeks of "induction" and it includes daily PT sessions. one of the first things they do is weigh you in to set a baseline so you know where you are. My initial weighin was 216.8lbs @ 26% bodyfat.

So I PTd (forced albeit) my *kitten* off for eight weeks.. and did my completed weighin/tape - 216 POUNDS (i was pissed) @ 18% bodyfat!! It had been years since I'd looked that good, all my skinny clothes fit (barely, even they were big)

I know people who immediately start to lose weight when they work out- we had a guy who lost 53 lbs during induction, and then there are my bodytypes. I just dont lose much weight until the inches go down. I have noticed, now - that once the inches are off I start to burn off weight. Im down to about 205 and spying 195 if I can keep my current daily 5k up over the next month. Anyway - logging my calories helped a TON.. it's totally about intake for me.

This is a big ramble - but yea, you arent alone in this bodytype at all
  • TerryJStroud
    TerryJStroud Posts: 17 Member
    One thing I've noticed is a lot of people who spend time working out and doing a lot of cardio end up putting on muscle, while losing the waistline. Muscle ways much more than fat, so don't feel discouraged! The issue isn't necessarily about weight, but health. If you're eating healthy, losing those inches like you desire, and feeling good, then you've accomplished your TRUE goal!

Don't be put out because of this! It's a very healthy sign. :-)
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    forget the scale who cares about the numbers inches really make the difference i dont know about you but at least for me thats what its about the way i look my weight doesnt actually matter i want to be toned and look good in all kinds of clothes..
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    One thing I've noticed is a lot of people who spend time working out and doing a lot of cardio end up putting on muscle, while losing the waistline. Muscle ways much more than fat, so don't feel discouraged! The issue isn't necessarily about weight, but health. If you're eating healthy, losing those inches like you desire, and feeling good, then you've accomplished your TRUE goal!

Don't be put out because of this! It's a very healthy sign. :-)

Muscles weighs way more than fat?? Since when??
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Unless you are telling everyone your weight, the only one who knows it is you. What they see is the inches coming off. Good job, just ignore the scale for a month or two and concentrate on the measurements.
  • Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the replies! It's very encouraging to hear I'm on the right track =]
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    My hubby and I just joined a gym, they said to us to build muscle, it takes up less space on your body, that is why you are dropping inches but not weight...you are building muscle....don't get discouraged keep going lbs. will drop off too....good luck....
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Has anyone else had this problem? I've recently dropped about six pounds in the past two weeks. I can finally fit into the jeans I squeezed into when I weighed 180, except I'm still at 200 pounds. Why is my weight not correlating?

I know it's frustrating because I am having the same problems! Same weight, but pants are loose in the waist. I refuse to give up my weights (the jiggle is finally starting to contain itself). Just keep pushing and the numbers will follow...
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    excatly what I was thinking, a pound is a pound...but muscle is denser than fat, so more fat in the pound than muscle....
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. They weigh the same.

I'm going to keep blasting that everywhere until every single MFP user gets it! (Sorry - but it's driving me BONKERS).

One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weigh the exact same amount - ONE POUND. The difference? One pound of fat takes up much mroe physical space than one pound of muscle (lean) does. So - although you might drop a few pounds of fat, you're probably gaining a few of muscle. This means the number on the scale isn't changing much BUT your body is getting smaller - fat is shrinking, muscle is leaner, pounds are equal.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member

Thank you for that!!!!

a pound is a pound is a pound!!!!
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    one cubic foot of Muscle ways much more than one cubic foot of fat,

Damn, you released the semantics police, again.

I fixed it for you, just remember to add that next time, it keeps the people with nothing else to do off your back. Most people knew what you meant anyway, but some folks just have a stick up their butts.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Haha - Well, I wasn't talking about volume, or I would have specified. I was talking about weight/pounds. That's why I said "one pound of..." ;)
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member

I'm going to keep blasting that everywhere until every single MFP user gets it! (Sorry - but it's driving me BONKERS).

One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weigh the exact same amount - ONE POUND. The difference? One pound of fat takes up much mroe physical space than one pound of muscle (lean) does. So - although you might drop a few pounds of fat, you're probably gaining a few of muscle. This means the number on the scale isn't changing much BUT your body is getting smaller - fat is shrinking, muscle is leaner, pounds are equal.

I really do think everyone knows that. Thanks for telling us anyway.
  • TerryJStroud

I really do think everyone knows that. Thanks for telling us anyway.

I honestly didn't know that. I had been taught (both in schools and by people who were lifters and everything) that muscle weighs more than fat. So thanks for the clarification. Sorry if I hit any nerves by stating what I had been taught my whole life, and thank you for the correction!
  • TerryJStroud
    one cubic foot of Muscle ways much more than one cubic foot of fat,

Damn, you released the semantics police, again.

I fixed it for you, just remember to add that next time, it keeps the people with nothing else to do off your back. Most people knew what you meant anyway, but some folks just have a stick up their butts.

Mmm. Maybe that's exactly what I was taught and I had forgotten it! Thanks for that!

I guess I was just getting flamed by the semantics police indeed. Once again, much appreciated.