ashamed to run

Options

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Try Couch 2 5K. You can put it right on your phone. It is awesome!! I do it and I have never run before. Find a nice quiet place where there aren't any people and do it! I found a secluded path right behind the sound barrier so I can run and not care!
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I really struggled with the idea of adding jogging back into my weight loss journey. I started using the Couch to 5K challenge on my iPod. It's starts out slow, doing intervals of walking and jogging. The amount you job keeps increasing each week. Even though I know that it's probably not the prettiest site to see me out jogging, at least they can look and say, "At least she's out here exercising instead of sitting on the couch eating cookies." I'm doing it for me, so I stopped caring what other people were thinking. Just start off slow and listen to your body. If it hurts, then stop. But build up to it! You can do it!!!
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started running weighing 295 lbs. I ran outside in my neighborhood. I used an app on my phone for Couch to 5K which is a conditioning program to help get me in shape to do a full run. I ran/walked for 8 weeks and graduated to running. I run twice a week now weather permitting for 3.5 miles. I don't care what other people think, nobody has stopped or yelled anything at me and I've never passed out on anyone's lawn. I put on my itunes and enjoy my time out in the nice weather with the road under my feet. In fact, most runners who pass me (I'm slow) are supportive and encouraging. Go for it. It has been so worth it.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was reading the book "Secrets of a Former Fat Girl" and she said when she started running she went to a local school track and ran. It was private and she could count laps and set goals. Eventually she hit the street, but she started this way. (Great book by the way)
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh about 225lbs, and have just started C25K. I am embarrassed, a bit, but being embarrassed wont help me lose weight or get fit, so I'm just going to carry on with it, if people don't like it, it's their problem, not mine, but for the most part I really don't think people care, especially not those that are also out exercising at 6am. So if I can do it, you can too! :happy:
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were taking a walk around the lakes by our house yesterday because it was nice outside. Since we were walking slow on the trails, we stepped off onto the grass anytime we heard a bicycle or runner gaining on us. One of these runners happened to be a woman, who was short, about 5'2" and easily close to 300 pounds, and she was hauling! No need to be ashamed, because quite frankly, that's more inspiring to me than seeing someone who is fit running like that! She truly motivated me and she was not ashamed at all. It was most impressive, so I say go on and work it!

You might be surprised who you motivatie. I walk during my sons soccer practice. I regularly have the other Moms tell me they should be walking,or they got up to walk because they saw me. I mostly walk. When I wanted to start running. I started on the treadmill,slowly. I do jog at bootcamp.While I was worried about it at first,I do find I can run farther each time.Go for it!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be ashamed. People who run and are skinny might not always have been that way!!

I've seen it mentioned above but i'll mention it again - the C25K is an awesome programme, really builds stamina up well i'd recommend it :) feel free to add me if you decide to do it and need a buddy!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not bigger, but honestly, I don't think anything about anyone jogging. I've seen other people out jogging while I go, fat, skinny, average, and I just smile, wave, and move on without a second thought. I really don't think people pay THAT much attention to other people, and if they do, they're not worth the effort it takes to worry about it, because they're too shallow to matter.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Sister...if you can run run dont care what people think. I would try it myself, but afraid id hurt myself being too heavy yet. I no longer care what people think of what i do etc...it comes with age i think. lol

Run Run Run give em hell and show them whos boss and can run better than them
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm 240 so not far from you and I just started the couch to 5k like yesterday.

Please please dont be ashamed...the sense of achievement you will feel afterwards, knowing that you even dared to try is immense!

Although on another note i did quite nearly pass out from huffing and puffing........give it a go!

You wont regret it.

Feel free to add me :)
  • avibachar
    avibachar Posts: 47
    Options
    Go for it!!! Nothing to be ashamed about.

Actually, I'll let you (all) in on a "secret". When I see someone overweight jogging/excersizing, I'M the one who is ashamed.

I see them and think to myself "Wow! I'm not that overweight, but I'm still too lazy to get off my butt and go for a jog and I probably wouldn't last a block! Yet, here's this person who clearly has way more weight to lose than I do, and they're in better shape than I am!"
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd be full of admiration for you too. I'm 245lbs and would love to do C25K but I'm not well enough right now. Fight for your health and be proud of yourself. Hold your head high! Xxx
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Just Do It! After a couple runs you'll find your confidence soars and you won't care who sees you.

When I first started I'd put on a hat and big sunglasses when I ran, so the kids I teach wouldn't know it was me! Running still isn't easy for me, but I continue to do it about twice a week (I cycle, spin, lift, or do yoga the other days). Sometimes I am still self-aware while I run, but it's not about my neighbors or the people I see...it's about ME!

I agree that running at a forest preserve, or a park, or a school track is a good option. Early on I learned NOBODY is at our local high school track at 6 AM on a Sunday morning....except me! Experiment, find someplace your comfortable, and walk if you need to. Doing it is what counts...not how quickly you get it done.

Happy Running!
  • corastoeger16
    Options
    I don't think it matters what your size is, you are going to be ashamed no matter what .. especially your first few times. . I'm pretty tiny and at first I could barely run half a mile.. I hated going to the gym to run or run outside in front of people, but I just have to forget about it.. Even now I still feel stupid running in front of people, but if I let that stop me then I would never be able to better myself. You Go Girl!!
  • madrap
    madrap Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try intervals instead. Walk briskly, then run for an interval (perhaps when no one is looking, LOL), then walk briskly again. I think that is more aerobic anyway, and it might be a good way to get back into running, if that's what you prefer.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started the C25K program and I love it. When I started I could barely run 30 seconds and now I'm on week 4 and doing 5 minute runs. I'm 300lbs so I don't think your too heavy to run. Just run at a pace thats comfortable for you. I get the whole embarrassing thing....I used to feel the same way. Now i could care less what people think. I'm out there running instead of sitting on couch watching T.V. and I'm very proud of myself! Most people will probably think "look at her go, she's doing good". Thats what I would think if I saw someone heavy run. Its hard work...

^^^^ me too!!! ^^^ my goal is to actually run outside instead of the treadmill...
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky ... but I think you're putting too much emphasis on what you perceive others to be thinking about you. People are too wrapped up in their own world (problems and issues and what needs done NOW) to have time to think negative thoughts about a person out running.

You'll be lucky if they even notice you, so make sure you run against traffic. They're either talking on their cell phones, texting, trying to keep the kids entertained, singing to the song on the radio, or just flat out day dreaming to even notice what's going on outside their vehicle much of the time.

On the off chance they do see you, chances are their thoughts are, "Man, that should be me out there!"

Put your shoes on. Get outside. Go running. Stay alert while on your run so you're safe from things that can harm you.

Good luck!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor says you are ok to run, I say go for it! Not all of the people you see running started out in shape or running at the speed they do now. When I started, I literally ran for 45 seconds and would have to walk. I though "how do they do it??". Now, I run 2 - 3 miles and feel great! It took time, and alternating jogging and walking to build my stamina up.

And on top of it, screw what anyone else thinks...the biggest preachers and judgers out there are sitting on their butts - at least you are getting it done :)

Best of luck to you!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was a little intimidated when I started running too. I had NEVER been a runner but was just not getting a workout taking my dog for a walk anymore. Once I got my HRM and realized I was not even in zone I decided it was time for a change. It's amazing but I have heard from people in my neighborhood that I have inspired them to start exercising too - people I had NEVER spoken to before. Go for it - you never know who's life you may change!!!
  • Sheri3182
    Sheri3182 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way and I'm 273lbs. However, yesterday I hit the pavement tor the first time in public and it was the best feeling in the world. I realized at that moment no one was paying attention to me. Everyone was in their own zone. At the end of the day, I realized they are trying to maintain a healthy life style too. So we are all in this together. But guess what? I'm so excited and it felt so good that I'm going running again today. So on that note "ain't nothing to it but to do it".