strength training question...

Options
Hi there,
I am pretty new, I started about a month ago, but this is my first entry.

I am wondering why there are no calories burned from strength training.
I know it is important to burn fat (which I have way too much of), but shouldn't count for calories too?

I know it is good and I can finally see some toning, but I wish it would deduct calories...
Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms?

Thanks!
Debbie

Replies

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am pretty new, I started about a month ago, but this is my first entry.

I am wondering why there are no calories burned from strength training.
    I know it is important to burn fat (which I have way too much of), but shouldn't count for calories too?

I know it is good and I can finally see some toning, but I wish it would deduct calories...
    Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms?

Thanks!
    Debbie

you can log it in cardio exercise as weight training but it is totally non specific. the only way to get an acurate calories burnt is to use a heart rate monitor during your workout.

polar and reebok have been recomended a lot on this website as rated HRM.

also strenght traing has the added bonus of burning extra calories when you are not training as im sure you may have heard. more muscle less fat more calories your body must expend to keep going. weight training and cardio mixed together = excellent results.

ps the strenght log on this site is just for you to keep a record of the exercises you have done
    :smile:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    There is a strength training section under the exercise area. Just do a search for strength.

I use it all the time. Just keep in mind that the calories estimated is a ball park figure...it's better if you have a heart rate monitor.

Hope that helps and welcome to MFP!
  • debbiejo
    debbiejo Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. They were really helpful!

I will get a heart rate monitor (I have been meaning to anyways).

I was hoping to find one with a pedometer too.

In the mean time I typed strength into cardio, and was pleased to see a number for calories burned.

I am totally into the numbers right now. They are really helping to keep me on track.

I love this website... I wish I would have found it sooner.

Thanks again!!