ashamed to run

Options

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If I saw a 250 lbs woman running down the street I would give her the thumbs up. You are taking control of your health and that's a positive. If someone does laugh at you then what does that tell you about them? They have a serious character flaw.

I had my 200+ lbs self jogging down one of the busiest streets in my area and yes sometimes I would wonder who was looking at my big booty jiggling but majority of the time I was just thinking about reaching my destination goal before I passed out lol.

Forgot everyone else. Focus on you.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE is embarassed in the beginning.

Not sure if this will make you feel better, but I've been running for 4 years, have never been technically overweight, and still get embarassed when I catch glimpses of my reflection in windows.

Also, a run-walk-run-walk program is a great place to start.

Best of luck! I really, really hope you can get yourself to do it! :happy:
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to that! I have run at the school track so nobody could see me (plus it is nice and soft on the joints). I have also run at night, and if I'm not on the treadmill, I still prefer to do that.

The Couch to 5k is a wonderful motivator - I love it!

Happy that you found your motivation....that is a huge deal! Take care of how you feel about what you are doing so you don't damage your self esteem - do what makes you comfortable and in time you will work your way on up.

Have fun! And feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I recently started walking/jogging with my dog. I don't do any kind of "program" I walk a block, jog a block and usually halfway through extend it from 1 block of jogging to 2 and then walk 1 or half a block, I have been trying to extend my route a little every couple days, and I only do the walk/jog every other day, the other days I just walk with both my dogs (one is real old and can't go far or fast) and go to the gym. I have been noticing that the amount of time the routes are taking me is decreasing, so I know I am getting faster. I too feel intimidated. What do the people driving by think? And what if another runer passes me? So far no one has said anything and I have passed another jogger who looked more advanced than I, and he gave me a nod as we passed so I returned it. I have been getting more comfortable with jogging and happy that I can do it. I do of course feel like I don't want to stop jogging and start walking in front of anyone, so it keeps me going to the next corner (this is the part that is great about having the dog, I make her stop and sit before crossing the street, so I have an excuse to stop too.)
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    When I first started I was embarassed as well and I live in a very rural area! Its really ridiculous to be embarassed about bettering yourself so just GO FOR IT! Who cares...the guy driving in the car that you dont know?

PS I will tell you its motivating too because I didnt want to start walking when a car came by....so I'd continue to run which helped with my endurance!

LOL, I do keep running when a car is coming too!! But I am very rural, and I am out when most people are headed to work so I do know most of them! (I keep running for sure then)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go for it! They might be shocked to see a 250 pound jogger...but they'll be really impressed when you're a 150 pound jogger later. =)
  • rikkeeroos
    Options
    I know how you feel. I felt the same way for the longest time (and even now sometimes). It is easy for people to say, "Just get over it," or "Don't worry about what other people think." However, I know that it is very hard to get past those feelings. I have recently started running (trying to run would be more accurate). I have lost over 90 lbs since I started working out two years ago, and I am still too embarrassed to join a gym. I converted our spare bedroom into my own personal mma gym, and do the majority of my workouts by myself, so that nobody can watch me. I started walking a few days a week, at the hike and bike trail by my house, just to break up the monotany of working out in my room. What I found was that almost every person I encountered on the trail was very friendly, and probably so involved in achieving their own goals that they never gave "the fat guy on the trail" a second thought. A few weeks ago I decided that walking was not getting my heart rate up enough, so I started jogging. I am worried about people looking at me, but I just keep telling myself that I am doing good and I keep going. The more success that I see when I get on the scale or look in the mirror tell me that I am doing the right thing, and gives me the confidence to continue. You can do whatever you put your mind to. I wish you nothing but the best.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about other people and what they think. I'm always impressed with people who are out running and significantly overweight, I know that they are trying to improve things. It's the ones sitting on the couch eating ice cream that scare me.

Start with a Couch to 5K program. They start from mostly walking with a little jogging and build up slowly to more jogging and less walking.

^^ This
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I started running at 256 pounds and was thoroughly ashamed of myself. Then I read a really great quote that went something like this "no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch". I gradually got smaller and faster, and you will too! Rock it!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasn't happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for exercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

Go for it !!!!!!! don't give a sh#t what others think your doing it for you!!!!

I started out at 315lb but found it hard to run due to shin splints, so i built up some stamina on the cross trainer then had myself fitted with proper running shoes downloaded the NHS C25K podcast for my mp3 player and did the programme

Last Sunday i ran for 6.9K :bigsmile: im aiming for 10K now and have signed up for a charity race
    I'm a very slow runner so wont be winning any prizes but I'm getting healthier :bigsmile:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Screw what other people think. You're doing this for yourself, not them. I always thought that the only way I would run is if someone's chasing me, but I started in December & now I hate it when I can't run. You need to start slow, but try for an improvement every time. There will be times when you don't see an improvement, but don't get discouraged, just think about the big picture. The way I look at it is if I don't push myself to be better, who will?
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    My reaction when I see someone who is larger running, "RIGHT ON!!!" I can assure you that anyone who exercises is cheering you on too. Anyone else is a moron and you shouldn't give two bits about what they think. Press on girl, we're proud of you!!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Do the Couch to 5K - it builds you up slowly and just don't worry about what anyone thinks. I am on week 5 and like you, suffer from embarrassment. It's not really a weight thing with me but I just feel embarrassed lol but to be honest, I have mostly got over it. Friend me if you like. If you do it, definitely use a podcast or app. I tried timing it myself to start with and it was very cumbersome and boring but now I use the NHS podcast and it's great. Not sure what I will do once I have completed the programme though - will have to find some other kind of app I think.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasnt happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for excercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

When I was running (at 217 lbs.) I just did it in areas that I knew there weren't many people driving or walking. I too was really ashamed to run around where a lot of people would be. You kind of have to just get over it though and ignore everyone else.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay so I haven't read the other replies just yet but I too am really really embarassed about running in public just incase a van full of men drive past and have something to say about my fat *kitten* jiggling about all over the place BUT then I think this.....I will do it and I will run and if I runf every day I will get thinner and healthier and when those same van men pass in maybe a years time and should something else about my *kitten* you can god damn bet that they will be getting the finger and some massive abuse off of me even if they wont be able to hear me and it is just for my benefit....I'll fell better!!!! DO IT and sod anyone who wants to judge!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't ever be ashamed of anything, you don't want to end up with regrets.

Start running, stick to what you can handle and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

If I saw someone larger running I would think "They might be overweight but they are obviously doing something about it" those who think and say negative things are just losers so they don't count anyway.
  • Ballybabe1
    Options
    Sorry if I'm repeating I didnt have time to read the replies.

I started jogging last November at 266 lbs I did the C25K program and its magnificent, like you I was too embarrassed to be seen in public so I started on the threadmill and once I was able to run 20 mins without stopping I took myself outside and i love it, its so much better outside with the fresh air, now I couldnt care less who sees me. I have had remarks from some neighbours who drove past me and its all good, saying wow fair play 2 u and how they feel such slobs when they see me out jogging and well done etc. I have lost 21 lbs since November and I credit it all to the jogging. Especially when you loved it before I say go for it, you can do it and its only in your head that others will stare, they are probably actually thinking 'jeez fair play to her I'm skinny and couldnt do that !'
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was once ashamed to run too, and sometimes still am. My fiance always reminds me though that when he sees someone who is overweight trying to do something about it, it makes him want to cheer you on, not the opposite. I just pretend that everyone else that I pass on the street thinks the same way. :wink:
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options

FACT! This is a great thread!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see a heavier person, running, walking or working out at the gym, I think " Good for them!"

Get yourself a pair of really good running shoes, clear it with your docotor and just go....

Start slow, run until you are tired but not exhausted, walk for a few minutes and then run again. Start off running real slow, slower than you think...endurance first, speed comes second.

Think of the new healthy you as you run...you can do this!