Illusion of an Elongated Short Waist

Options
Hey all
Im a 5'1 woman. I am starting to really getting into some ab work to flatten/tone/strengthen my core/midsection and that section below the belly button that seems to never want to go away. I still have about 51 pounds to lose but don't want to ignore the fact that I need a strong core & back muscles (I started strength/training yesterday) - I do 35-40 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and Ill be doing the strength training 3 times a week.

Here's my issue -- I have virtually no waist :(. If I lift up my "girls" which are quite large, I do but as soon as they rest Im back to wishing I was "longer" in the torso (but in reality I would look really really odd) - the space between my hips and "girls" when not lifted is just under 4" so no matter what I do (at this time) from the front I look like I have a belly & boobs, from the side you can tell I have a waist but again the distance makes me look smooshed.

Are there ab/back exercises out there that will make for the illusion of a longer waist? I realize the more fat I lose and the more I tone up in and around that area will only help my plight but I was wondering if there was anything specific I could focus on.

Thank you for your help!

SW: 12/11 210
CW: 180.6
Inches over all lost so far 26.25
Cardio 4-6 days a week
Boxing Saturday Morning
30DayShred (Feb/March)
Strenght Training - just started
Calorie Intake 1200 - if I have to I eat only half my exercise calories back
Currently have one day a week where I don't eat as healthy as I should but still try to maintain a healthy caloric intake

Replies

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I don't have much of a waist either, but I found I got a more defined waist after doing all of the plank exercises in the JM dvds. As to which ab exercises would create that illusion, my money would be on the obliques, but I could be totally off base for that.

Also, I think JM says in one of her DVD's that having more muscle on your upper half will help balance out the waist and lower body, so maybe research the benefits of upper body strength training as well?

Keep in mind this is just what I've noticed with my personal experience and I'm certainly no expert, and you may have a different experience than me :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm short-waisted, and just losing the extra fluff made my torso appear longer. My "natural waist" is lower than it was when I was heavier... my hips started right below my boobs before.

2010-2012.jpg
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm short-waisted, and just losing the extra fluff made my torso appear longer. My "natural waist" is lower than it was when I was heavier... my hips started right below my boobs before.

2010-2012.jpg

The same happened to me. I am 4'11''
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I am 5'2"

As your body fat levels drop - you will see more definition, and a "waistline" - this is really the key. Both your wist will slim, and your breast will normally shrink some also, so you may see your waist more. You will also see upper back shrink. So this will all help you look leaner, and allow the muscle to show more, giving more nipped in waist.

Strength training with heavy weights and lower reps, for entire body is your friend. This helps balance the upper and lower body, also helps you lose fat faster. It will also give you tightening all over.

You cannot "spot" reduce, but any of a number of core and ab routines will benefit, to help some on tightening

I agree with planks, leg lifts, Russian twists - but also many full body weight lifting moves, when done with heavier weights will also works abs and core. (if done with heavy weight)

This link give exercises for body area

http://pinterest.com/pin/160933386653912587/
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options

2010-2012.jpg

You are my inspiration! I am at your before weight (and look very much like your picture) and my goal is around your weight in the second picture. It is very inspiring to see that it is actually possible to get there. Thank you so much!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    great visual LorinaLyn - Thanks for that. :) You always have the greatest posts!
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This isn't an exercise at all but it worked for me. Invest in some bras that really fit. :smile:

You're about the same size, and from what you say, similar shape, as I was before I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. I had the same problem. Trust me, good bras that actually fit and lift your breasts up to where they should be will make a world of difference. When I finally got some that fit me, friends and family swore I'd lost weight. I hadn't lost a single pound. I had to go out and buy new shirts because everyting I had looked way too big on me. I suddenly had a WAIST! I'd been wearing completely the wrong size -- 42G, when I should have been wearing a 34J (yes, they make that size lol! and it's not as big as it sounds! bra sizes are confusing!)

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that if you're a petite woman with a full bust, it's very difficult to find bras that fit. (Just because you can get your all of your breast into the cup, doesn't mean it fits :wink: ) It's virtually impossible to find something in regular stores, at least in the US. Specialty shops might have something. Otherwise, it's off to the internet. I can recommend some places. If you're interested, message me. Being a new poster, I don't want to spam.

Of course this isn't to say that working out wont' help, it definitely will, but this will too :smile:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    This is unrelated in a way but found it interesting

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/determining-where-your-waistline-fits-within-your-.html

i had no idea that i was "short waisted"...
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE
    I actually feel better ; the idea that my hips could be lowered due to fat loss is quite exhilierating! Planks/Weights etc - got it ;-) downt he road should I be able to find this thread again Ill post some pictures

Be well everyone and thank you for all your advice
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

2010-2012.jpg

So there is hope!!!!! Yes!!!! *does the happy dance* :-)