how do you lose weight with a heartache... part 2...

Options
So I have mentioned before that I have recently split up from my S.O. of 12 years... I say recent, but it's been Months... And some days it hurts just like it was yesterday... I know it was for the best, but how do you continue to lose weight when you don't feel like eating? Or/ And you overrated with comfort food? I have found a few things to help... But some days are just worse than others...

I was doing real well, and I am not sure how/ why I hit this plateau...

How long did it take you to get over your heartache... Any suggestions to help...

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can help, going through the same myself, two days ago broke it off with the man I've loved for 16 years. Right now, heartache keeps me going, everytime I want to cry I pop in a workout Dvd, start lifting or get on the elliptical. I have been put through enough and I will not give him the power to be my reason for failure. If anything I will draw my strength from this, the only tears running down my cheeks are going to be the ones from reaching my goals (or Jillian Michael's causes me) Maybe you should find a challenge to join or a cause to support, busy yourself with something that makes you feel good. I feel your pain and it will get better!
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've found that lifting weights, doing push-ups, or carrying heavy stuff (like landscaping materials) really helps me when I'm depressed. For me, it has something to do with putting pressure on my upper body joints and muscles; I think it must release better endorphins than simply running. When I've gone through bad bouts of depression and the tears start flowing for no reason, I will drop and do 25 push-ups and then some jumping jacks in my office. It helps me feel better almost immediately.

If you're having trouble eating, substitute protein shakes or Ensure for meals. I don't like Ensure but I relied on them in college when I had a 4-month bout of salmonella. It was literally painful to eat solid food; ice-cold vanilla Ensures kept me going. They do have quite a bit of sugar in them, though, so you might be better off making your own protein shakes. I really like Jay Robb's protein powder; it's very minimally processed and only has a few ingredients, and almost no sugar. Making your own protein shakes is a good idea because that way you can cut back on the grams of protein, if necessary. I use Jay Robb vanilla whey powder, So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, and fresh fruit. If I want to thicken the shake, I use either fat-free Greek yogurt or So Delicious vanilla coconut milk yogurt.

I also think it's important to realize that we all hit plateaus in fitness routines. Even when everything is fine, sometimes you just hit a plateau, and that's ok. If you're really concerned about it, mix up your exercise routine. Throw in some high-intensity interval training. Check out http://www.tabataprotocol.com for some ideas.

I hope this helps and that you start to feel better soon! Some studies have found that it takes an average of 17 months to get over a divorce or other long-term relationship. I know it took me a little over a year to get over my major breakup. Now, looking back, I can see it was definitely for the best!
  • ashditty2
    ashditty2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i've been there, was there not that long ago... and my advice is to do anything but sit around or be near a kitchen... I am and always will be an emotional eater, for a while the first thing I did was pick up my phone and order take out from my recliner...
    The things I gravitate towards to not do that now are walking my dog or running, and I have definitely burst into tears while running before, especially right after, but its a release that really beats everything else... Especially, if you can find a peaceful place outside to walk or run...
    I'm not to my goal yet, but I am in the best shape I've been in since high school, and I'm proud to say that I saw that person who I let break my spirit, and he told me that I look fabulous... Keep up the hard work, even when it sucks, even when all you want is a pizza... I promise it pays off, big....