Short people and muscle!

Options
The purpose of this post is a rant, but also to see if anyone has any suggestions....

Well, I'm what I would consider short- 5'2" I have been working out 5-6 days a week since July 2nd. I am not looking to build any 'bulgy' muscles, just build a little tone muscle. I have always been somewhat muscular. At 8 years old, my step father could stand on my stomach- he was 5'11 and 175lbs. At 10, my brother had me lifting weights a little ( hey i was the only girl and the youngest :tongue: ) and I could bench press 135lbs.

So as of late, I'm working out and not doing a lot of strength work. The cardio I am doing is mainly elliptical and stationary bike. I was doing both on level 1. I started not sweating much after the first week (80 minutes a day), so I bumped up the levels. I do random on the elliptical at level 5 and the alpine pass on the bike at level 10 (still 80 minutes a day). I only did this, this past week to elevate my calorie burning. I can already see my quad mucles on the outside of my leg bulging out- at least 2 inches from the side of my knee to where the muscle begins. I do not want this!

My goal is to lose weight as well as have a toned slender build. I don't wanna look like popeye :grumble: I realize being short, I would build muscle easier as the muscle is shorter etc. I would like to get a good work out where I sweat and feel like i've worked out but as I said I don't want to be 'built'. I really don't do well running or jogging. I have had horrible shin splints since I was a kid and I am also a mouth breather, so when I run and get winded this causes my lungs to burn. I also have an issue with my ankles that sometime just randomly decide to turn over :grumble: So- I avoid running. Any suggestions on this?

OOPs -sorry I did post this in the wrong section

Replies

• margaretthedevil
    Options
    Try something different from traditional workout regimes. Like yoga, pilates, swimming, and even dancing. Sounds like you're really strong @_@ yet almost have pesky fat. I'm 4' 11.75" so I'm even shorter than you :cry:. Yes it can be difficult with the muscle gain. I've always had big thighs and my short legs DO NOT help! >< :grumble: I would try focusing on work outs that do not work your quads a lot or that work on all of your muscles, especially core, arms, thighs, calves, etc...and not just one specific area. Once you start losing more weight this should help you with the fat.
  • ecrb77
    ecrb77 Posts: 78
    Options
    Try yoga and toning band workouts. Also make sure you stretch often! You can do it!:smile:
  • Beachcomer
    Beachcomer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello All you losers who are WINNERS,
    I have some saved meals and I'm having trouble pulling them back up to attach as a meal. I'll be checking to see if anyone can help.
    Thanks,
    Beachcomer
  • lyndell44
    lyndell44 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm short too, and have a tendency toward short bulky muscles. I'm doing Slim in 6, and although I feel muscles under the fat all over my body, I don't think any of them are getting bulky. I've lost about 9 pounds in the past month, and they are really good cardio workouts!
    Good luck!
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    I'm only 1 inch taller than you, and I love running! It's just annoying how I always have to adjust every weight machine I get on at the gym, since the person that used it before me is usually a lot taller! You could try walking and jogging intervals . . .
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I skipped the gym yesterday and worked out at home. I have Time Warner and they have those exercise on demand programs. I did one of the Jillian Michaels workouts. Instead of doing the exercises that work the quads, I would change them to work the hams and the glutes :tongue:

Aside from my physical issue with running. I currently (and temporarily) live in a very crappy TX town where its both hot and not a town you'd want to hit the streets. I can't even take my dogs for walks here because of the 'locals'. Too many stray dogs roaming the land! Not to mention I might trip over a discarded dirty diaper, another local phenomenon, that decorate the landscape... LMAO!

4 more months! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and my legs have always been really muscular esp my thighs...I've found that jogging and yoga has helped....but at the same time guys tend to like girls with bigger thighs and hips lately so i;ve learned to embrace my legs so long as theyre in shape and not flabby lol
  • fitgal411
    Options
    You could always use the treadmill at the gym to get some running in! It's not as fun as running outside, but it works. Do you stretch before and after you run? And do a warm-up and cool-down walk?
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I don't run at all! I avoid it for the reasons I stated in my original post. Sometimes I do warm up walks (3.5mph) on the treadmill. I wish I didn't have '2 left feet' Or in my case a half dozen, otherwise I'd do a dance type aerobic work out. I tried one yesterday, before the other workout I did and- at best it was catastrophic. On the bright side nothing was damaged. :laugh:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    We're the same height and age. To keep my legs lean, I stretch a lot (classical stretch and yoga).

For leg exercise, I'm doing plyometrics (jump training) and ballet conditioning (no dancing, just barre work with leg lifts, squats, etc.).

I also eat a lot more than you do, 1350 plus all exercise calories. I know some short people think they need to eat less but if you have all the muscle you say you do, you should definitely eat more!
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I did bump my cals up, as I was recommended to do, and slowly. Yesterday, however was the exception. I was busy with helping out my sis in law as she got in a wreck last monday and is trying to make her car driveable for the interim. Also had to build cages and do some work on my 'hobby farm'. So being busy, I had a late lunch and then a very late 'dinner' which consisted of low-fat snacks.

Quite honestly, If I attempted to eat all the cals it says, I'd be eating more than when I started my diet/exercise program. I probably didn't need a dietary change, in retrospect, just needed to get off my A** more LOL Other than my exercise time I'm mostly sedentary also. So trying to 'split the difference' there. So I did a lot of grocery shopping for low cal and having low cal food, I simply cannot consume that much of it to add up to what this site suggests. Also, my diet as of late isn't too bad. I'm feeling better and somehow building muscles, albeit unwanted LOL

Plus, should you eat when you are not hungry?
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    don't worry, you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit

In order to build muscle you have to eat more than required to maintain
  • fitgal411
    Options
    Plus, should you eat when you are not hungry?

If you haven't eaten for over 3 hours and you're still not hungry, I would suggest eating a light snack or something. No one should eat out of boredom or emotionally, though.
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I put a couple pics in my profile somewhat showing the mucsling I have. Keep in mind, im pale and fat...Yes, I am working on my triceps/batwings. There is a picture in there showing my leg and what I am talking about (the outter thigh/quad). This area is definitely getting bigger. BTW taking a picture of your leg is bizarre! Yes......I do need to tone!