Diet Slip-Ups Don't Spell Doom

Options
It happens--a piece of cheesecake here, a missed workout there. But diet detours needn't become guilt-wracked weight loss disasters.

Proof: When researchers put 142 overweight people on the same weight loss program, one group followed it for 14 straight weeks; another took a 6-week hiatus at the midpoint; the final group took a 2-week break every few weeks. Months later, everybody had lost an average of 16 pounds.

"It's not the breaks that hurt weight loss efforts," says study author Rena Wing, PhD, of Brown University Medical School. "It's your negative reactions to the breaks and the subsequent downward spiraling." So enjoy your time off, and then get back on track.

:drinker:

Replies

• dakoda
    dakoda Posts: 38
    Options
    It happens--a piece of cheesecake here, a missed workout there. But diet detours needn't become guilt-wracked weight loss disasters.

Proof: When researchers put 142 overweight people on the same weight loss program, one group followed it for 14 straight weeks; another took a 6-week hiatus at the midpoint; the final group took a 2-week break every few weeks. Months later, everybody had lost an average of 16 pounds.

"It's not the breaks that hurt weight loss efforts," says study author Rena Wing, PhD, of Brown University Medical School. "It's your negative reactions to the breaks and the subsequent downward spiraling." So enjoy your time off, and then get back on track.

:drinker:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice!
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    Excellent advice!

AGREED! :flowerforyou:
  • poubre
    poubre Posts: 32
    Options
    Excellent article with beautiful statistics to back it up. A true article :).

Evidence-based medicine is a beautiful thing! Keep it up.

Philip
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    PERFECT ADVICE! bump!:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Awesome post :)

Its important that you're not trying to diet, and that you don't think of it as dieting. A diet is a short term, fad thing. No one intends to be on a 'diet' the rest of their life. Also, most people are extremely strict if they try to diet, which means you're more likely not to stick with it.

Your goal is to teach yourself to eat sensibly and in a way that you can live with, and be happy - we're talking about permanent change! That means the occasional splurge is completely expected! Now, that doesn't mean you should go scarfing down cheesecake every day, but going out on the town one night and having a nice meal is nothing to be terrified of (including dessert)!
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    I :heart: it!
  • dakoda
    dakoda Posts: 38
    Options
    bumping :bigsmile:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow...so true! I have a friend that if she slips up and eats fast food or whatever for lunch, she's just like..."oh, I already messed up, so I'm going to eat a whole cheesecake for dinner." Talk about frustrating...she doesn't see that it's not the slip up....it's the amount of slip up and her negative attitude after that allows her to eat like 2000 calories of a cheesecake.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    What a perfect toast on the day after my first slip up. My mom threw me under the bus yesterday when we went over there for our weekly sunday dinner. She just had to come home with my favorite...spinach dip. Not to mention she had to make stuffed shells with about a pound of cheese on top. No thanks to mom I have put a pound back on. Oh well just a pound and back on track today!!!:drinker:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is excellent advice. To truly make this a lifestyle change and be able to do this the rest of your life, you HAVE to realize that life get's in the way sometimes and you will slip up here and there. Just get back on track and keep chugging along.

I read that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they don't just start eating crap after a splurge. They eat something fun and then immediately get back on track. It's part of life.
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    I will remember that the next time i have a bad day, wether it not eating well or missing a workout:bigsmile:

Thanks for the advice:flowerforyou:

Mary:happy:
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    That is excellent advice. To truly make this a lifestyle change and be able to do this the rest of your life, you HAVE to realize that life get's in the way sometimes and you will slip up here and there. Just get back on track and keep chugging along.

I read that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they don't just start eating crap after a splurge. They eat something fun and then immediately get back on track. It's part of life.

I love that, and totlely agrea:flowerforyou:

Mary:happy:
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm so excited. I even FEEL better. Yet, when I did my little Splurge yesterday, I woke up feeling sick and so full to toxins. But back on track! I can't wait until about November to show off my new bod!