How do i measure myself accurately?

Options
to take my measurments were do i put the measuring tape..and how tight should it be wen i am measuring?

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Here's some simple instructions I found online. I hold the tape so that it's flat against my skin all the way around but not tight

Chest: Measure around the largest part of your chest.

Biceps: Measure midway between the top of your shoulder and elbow.

Waist: Measure at the narrowest point, approximately one inch above your belly button. No cheating! Don't pull in your belly or stick it out.

Hips: Measure your hips around the largest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thigh: Thighs are measured separately. Stand with your legs slightly apart. Measure your upper leg where the circumference is largest.

measurements.gif
  • woodsanita
    woodsanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I ordered the "MyoTape Body Tape Measure" for $6ish from Amazon for just this purpose, and I love it! You place the end of the tape back in a slot on the body of the measure, depress a button, and it automatically retracts to a consistent tension. My measurements before fluctuated wildly, but these are consistent :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump...I need this also... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    what i find is hard, is the tape measure slides up while i'm doing the measurement.... so if i pull it hard to prevent it from slipping up or down my belly it's too tight to get a actual reading. anyone else have that problem.. darn curves!
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Thank you for this! I always think I'm measuring wrong XD
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This website has a good guideline on what and how to measure for men and women:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

How to Measure

• Height - measured without shoes
    • Weight - taken in the morning without clothes after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything
    • Waist (Men) - measure horizontally, at the level of the navel
    (Women) - measure horizontally, at the level of minimal abdominal width
    • Neck - measure below the larynx with the tape sloping slightly downward to the front.
    • Hips (Women only) - Largest horizontal circumference around the hips
  • montata
    montata Posts: 18
    Options
    nice to know I'm doing it right.. thx :)
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AJs_Journey
    Options
    My personal trainer always messured my cheast under my are pits so that it didnt because I was wearing a different Bra, but if you are wearing the same thing everytime i guess it wouldnt matter. :D
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    thanks! need this!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    good question ive been wondering this myself!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I ordered the "MyoTape Body Tape Measure" for $6ish from Amazon for just this purpose, and I love it! You place the end of the tape back in a slot on the body of the measure, depress a button, and it automatically retracts to a consistent tension. My measurements before fluctuated wildly, but these are consistent :)

I just got mine, too! Best buy I've made all month! :happy:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I need to get this tape because my measurements are all over the place. Thank you for the information.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

I'll definitely be looking into this!
  • Carita79
    Carita79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awsome! thanks so much this helps alot :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    However you do it, be consistent every time.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Here's some simple instructions I found online. I hold the tape so that it's flat against my skin all the way around but not tight

Chest: Measure around the largest part of your chest.

Biceps: Measure midway between the top of your shoulder and elbow.

Waist: Measure at the narrowest point, approximately one inch above your belly button. No cheating! Don't pull in your belly or stick it out.

Hips: Measure your hips around the largest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thigh: Thighs are measured separately. Stand with your legs slightly apart. Measure your upper leg where the circumference is largest.

measurements.gif

what if you don't have a belly button ????????? (mine was surgically removed on a prev. Hernia repair)..... sorry had to be silly
  • Farmgirl67
    Options
    bump