Vegetarian having trouble.....

Options
mappy
mappy Posts: 31 Member
Hello,

Is anyone else having this problem: I'm an overweight vegetarian who used to each too much fatty processed foods (ice-cream, chips, cookies, butter, cheeses of all types). I have cut out all but non-fat dairy items and eggs out of my diet.

Problem: I am having difficulty eating enough calories without going over my fat gram limit. Dense whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, some nuts, non-fat diary and eggs are all I eat. I would eat more nuts but the fat content is too high for the amount of calories you get.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    When you go through your food diary- what specifically are you getting too much fat from?

Are you cooking your veggies in oil and butter or steaming them?
  • mappy
    Options
    For the last month I've stayed at or under my fat gram goals, so I no longer eat too much fat.
    I eat most of my veggies raw, in soup, or grilled.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating good fats (no vegetable oil, trans fats etc) then I wouldn't worry too horribly much about the fat. It's more important, imho, to worry about sodium and fiber.

I admit I'm a mite confused about where all of your fat is coming from. But then you said you didn't have an issue with fat in your reply.... :huh: I'm so confused lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Maybe Mappy means they are having ytouble eating enough? If they stay at or under on fat, they're also under on calories?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any soy? I'll assume that you're lacto-ovo or at least lacto. You should probably go back to full fat dairy and just eat less of it. Do you have your food diary available to read? I've been a vegetarian my entire life and have not had this issue of eating enough and I still keep it under the fat allowed. You can change the ratio of cabs/fats/protein as well and this might help.
  • mappy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try adding more soy and possibly more dense whole grain or sprouted bread. I'm thinking that maybe dried fruits will also give me nutrient-filled calories without a lot of fat.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    There is a great website called www.fatfreevegan.com