Are you dieting in secret?

Options
I am. It's easier to avoid people staring at you and making comments that can backfire. It's hard though because your family can make some pretty fattening food.

*Edit: Yes, sorry, not a diet, I mean losing weight. I don't tell anyone unless they ask. So, technically no one knows.

Replies

• 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I used to diet in secret. I even bought a scale once and hid it so no one knew! I had an eating disorder in high school though, so I was afraid people would get upset and worried about me dieting even when I needed to. Now I find it much easier to be open about dieting and get support from my family and friends!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    not in secret, but not telling anyone unless they just ask.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm just living my life. I see my activity and food choices as just what I do, not a diet. I don't think there is anything shameful about trying to be healthy on a day-to-day basis.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Only from my guy friends because they're close-minded a@@holes about stuff like that.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it in secret but I'm not going out of my way to talk to people about it. I find when I talk about it a lot I usually end up failing for some reason and slipping back into my old ways.... maybe the pressure to lose weight when everyone is expecting it? I'm not quite sure exactly.

Did that make any sense? lol

But it's nice to not have everyone ask "how is the diet going?" when at family get togethers!! :)
  • beatricia
    beatricia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agree! Making a big hype about it to other people creates unnecessary pressure. Unless someone blatantly asks, I keep it to myself. It feels like I'm doing it "for myself" more that way.

Not to mention-- people find SUCH great joy in parading junk food when they know you can't eat it! Go figure...
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not but wish I never said anything and did hide it. I'm not dieting I just eat a certain way that keeps me the size I am and healthy and I really only want to lose 5 more lbs. lost 58 lbs so far not doing mfp and been keeping it off for 4 years.. but anyways the moment i joined mfp I got advice I did'nt ask for, got told I was doing everything all wrong , I was going to destroy my body so on and so on , then got advice I didn't want nor had any intention of following. So yeah I can see why people don't share. It causes grief. But also some people are very supportive and provide constructive critisism. So my advice if you are the kind of person who doesn't mind tons of misinformation and filtering out what is good or bad for you then tell people. If you want to follow the beat of your own drum and don't want the arguments don't tell people. it's not like there is a rule where you need to tell people what you eat or don't eat. It seems more than half the posts on this site are people arguing what is wrong or right.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say secret, but I don't go out of my way to tell people I'm making an effort to eat better. My family is fully aware. At work, not so much, but I think they've probably caught on anyway.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. But for me I just don't mention it now unless specifically asked because I don't feel that I'm "dieting" anymore. When I used to "diet" I would moan and groan and complain "Oh I can't have that I'm trying to lose weight. Oh I no thank you I'm on a diet" But now that I'm focusing more on changing my life I don't feel the need to voice it (or complain about it) like I once did. It's really no one else's business any right? They can't do it for me, and most of them try to sabotage anyway. Good luck to you hun. :flowerforyou:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I eat everything I've always eaten just in controlled portions, so it's really not noticeable.

Edit: Your red hair is so pretty!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    IT makes thinks a lot easier, IMO
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm just living my life. I see my activity and food choices as just what I do, not a diet. I don't think there is anything shameful about trying to be healthy on a day-to-day basis.

Yep...I agree. Having others know helps keep me on track too. With eating and exercise. I see it as a plus in my life.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My wife and her immediate family know (since they've visited / stayed with us since I started), but other than that, it's not really anyone's business.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This was always my go-to method, but it never worked. I'm talking about it now and getting real-life support in addition to what's going on here.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I wouldn't say secret, but I don't go out of my way to tell people I'm making an effort to eat better. My family is fully aware. At work, not so much, but I think they've probably caught on anyway.

This is me exactly!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping it a secret - one friend noticed and commented that I'd lost weight (bless!), so I admitted it to her. Otherwise not even my husband has noticed - and I've lost just over a stone (8lbs off before I found MFP). I think he must have stopped looking.....
  • karincarney
    karincarney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have not told anyone unless they ask if I have lost weight, and what/how I have been doing it. Husband still has not noticed. (or at least has not said anything)
  • jessicaacampbell1
    jessicaacampbell1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have trouble committing to things, so it's a lot less pressure.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Kinda sorta yes. A few of my FB friends know, though I haven't talked about it since I began, and my mother knows (and luckily supports me 100% ). Neither sides of my family know and my boyfriend, who hasn't seen me since last year, doesn't know.

I like doing things on my own without telling others because if I fail I don't want people knowing and/or making it a huge deal. If I succeed, then it's that much better to me.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I told my family and I'm losing with the girls at work, so they know. My family has been very supportive of me and when we have family meals, my mom always checks with me to make sure I can/will eat things that are being made. Thankfully, nobody pressures me about my WI's or anything. If I tell them they cheer me on, but if I don't nobody pries.