Exhausted after work out, normal?

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
I ran 3 miles today & pushed hard the whole way. The other day I did a 40 min boot camp vid and, again, ready pushed it. After each work out I was/am completely fried! Like, walking through the grocery store just now made me want to stop & rest, lol! Is this just normal, bust *kitten* work out feeling or should I be doing something different food wise to keep my energy up? (diary is open if you are curios)

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you're working hard, expect to be a bit jelly-legged/armed/whatevered after. I had a night last week where I got home, took a shower, toweled off and went to sit on the couch to get up the energy to dry my hair.

Other nights, I don't get so terribly exhausted, but I kinda like knowing that I left it all on the floor.

If however, you are in pain daily, and not just a good ache, you need to dial it back a bit.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Only when you're doing it right.
  • KF1216
    Options
    Nah, it's not pain (well, some good pain I guess), just all over tiredness. Right now I'm laying on the floor dreading the moment my son wales up from nap & I have to get up, lol!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    After I have taken a break from exercising it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get my energy levels back up. During those two weeks I am extremely exhausted after a workout. Great for sleeping but bad for trying to maintain my diet when I get home and want to be lazy about making food. Try to get groceries for the week on a day you don't work out and have three or four quick and easy meals you can slam together in less than 5 minutes for when you're tired.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I know I have worked out correctly when after said workout I am pondering the consequences of not getting off the floor to go potty. And I am somewhat indecisive as to the advantages of actually getting up off the floor for said relief.

edited for grammar
  • alease27
    alease27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a protein drink right after your workout, (within an hour minimum). I like Myoplex; it makes me feel 100% better after a tough workout.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a protein drink right after your workout, (within an hour minimum). I like Myoplex; it makes me feel 100% better after a tough workout.

No, it doesn't.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Cardio tends to energize me. I can leave for a cardio workout feeling like I'm about to fall asleep and after the workout I feel wide awake.

After my long runs on Sundays (double digit days), I feel a bit body sore, but nothing to the point that you're describing.

I would suggest making sure that you have enough fuel (food) in your system before the workout since I tend to be a bit more tired if I waited too long between eating and working out. Or, if you absolutely can't eat before a workout (I normally plan for about an hour or two, depending on what I ate, between eating and cardio) then have something ready and waiting that you can eat easily after the workout. For cardio it doesn't have to be protein heavy like a shake or something. But try for something that has some complex carbs, a fair bit of protein and only a little fat. (fat + cardio can make for a quick "system cleanse" ;P ) That way you can get the fuel you need for energy started back into your system.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Weight training yes. Running no. Running makes me energretic. Weight training makes me feel like I just want to lay down for many hours.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not usually, Unless I didnt eat enough. Usually I am super energized. Like the Energizer Bunny!
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with the cardio. You don't want all your running to be balls out hard core. IMHO, you should only have one true speed day a week and the rest should be good workouts, but not to leave you completely wiped out. If you push hard all the time you are asking for injury. Trust me, I've injured myself plenty.

Also, your optimal fat burning is when you are running slower pace. You burn more carbs when you are running faster.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't.

I'm not the guy who posted this but It does for me. I don't think it's any voodoo magic from taking in protein within 30 minutes. Most of the recent research i've read is that intake of protien anytime within 24 hours is good. But I think it's just the rehydration and a little nutrition that makes the difference.

To the OP, I'm usually dragging right after but after I get a shower and get dressed and moving, my energy is increased for a few hours. Later I'm ready for a nap!
  • KF1216
    Options
    I actually was working out on a fairly empty stomach & had lunch right after, maybe I need to have a snack before the work out.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I would be careful with the cardio. You don't want all your running to be balls out hard core. IMHO, you should only have one true speed day a week and the rest should be good workouts, but not to leave you completely wiped out. If you push hard all the time you are asking for injury. Trust me, I've injured myself plenty.

Also, your optimal fat burning is when you are running slower pace. You burn more carbs when you are running faster.

I disagree that optimal fat burning is at the slower pace. Zone training for fat loss has pretty much been proven myth. I think low intensity is good as part of an overall program but when EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) is factored in, high intensity and low intensity burn about the same. Higher intensity burns more glycogen during the workout and the EPOC from it contiues to burn fat for a couple of hours. Lower intensity uses primarily fat during but has little EPOC benefit. Good information on the different intensity workouts and thier effect on fat burning at www.bodyrecompostiion.com.

I totally agree that soem high intensity, some low intensity cardio is best and don't forget to throw in a little strength training!
  • mmapags
    Options
    I actually was working out on a fairly empty stomach & had lunch right after, maybe I need to have a snack before the work out.

Yepper! That'd do it!. maybe a banana or an apple 30 minutes before would be good.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    When I started exercising again, I was very tired. Like, tired enough to take a nap mid-afternoon.
    Personally, I don't think it had anything to do with diet--more to do with exerting my body so much more than it is used to.
    It sounds like you're giving your body a challenge. You'll probably be fine relaxing if you need it and/or changing up your exercise routine from time to time. As you become more and more fit, the strain on your body will be much less.

Congratulations on being active!
  • KF1216
    Options
    ok so some great tips! Need to eat a little more before, and also maybe tone back the workout a little - I used to get awesome runners high when I was doing 2-2.5 mile runs but in the last two weeks I've upped that to 3m (5k) and have seen the drop in energy afterwards. I'm training for a 5K in May, so I feel like I should run 5k every time, but I think for now anyway I should do 5k once a week and shorter runs the other days. Thanks so much for the input!
  • mmapags
    Options
    ok so some great tips! Need to eat a little more before, and also maybe tone back the workout a little - I used to get awesome runners high when I was doing 2-2.5 mile runs but in the last two weeks I've upped that to 3m (5k) and have seen the drop in energy afterwards. I'm training for a 5K in May, so I feel like I should run 5k every time, but I think for now anyway I should do 5k once a week and shorter runs the other days. Thanks so much for the input!

A suggestion on what might help you train for the 5k is to do some HIIT once or twice per week (no more often as it's not recomended for various reasons). The HIIT increases your VO2 max which will help your wind and it trains you heart for higher intensities. I also run some 5Ks as the weather gets warm. Matter of fact I have one this Sunday for the first time this year. I do HIIT once a week, low intensity cardio once a week, strength training 2X per week and one distance run. This is similar to what some Olympic runnning coaches use as thier training method. Just running your race distance often is not really the best race training. When I do the low intensity cardio or HIIT I often do bike as it works muscles that are complimentary training for running. The HIIT program I use is called the Peak 8. Basically 3 minute warmup, all out for 30 seconds, 90 second recovery 8X with a 3 to 5 minute cool down. Hope this helps!
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way and have wondered if im doing something wrong. i just feel extremely sleepy once the workout is over