What's better for true weight loss & health...

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Watching fat?
Watching carbs?
Watching sugar?
Watching cals?

I know that a combination is best, of course, but was wondering exactly which one(s) is the BEST to consistently keep track ...

exercise.png

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I primarily track calories and fiber. Eating high fiber foods keeps you full longer so this helps by not leaving room for junky foods that are not filling.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    My personal opinion is calories. It gives you an overall idea of how much you've eaten.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    While staying within my calorie limit, and not eating my exercise calories I watch my fat intake, carb intake, protein, fiber, sugar, and sodium. I pay most attention to the fat, fiber, and protein though and I have been losing an even 3 pounds per week for the past 5 weeks...so I know it's working for me :happy: Another important thing I do and I know has a lot to do with my weight loss is my water intake. I drink at the MINIMUM half my body weight in ounces :drinker: If you want to know how many FAT CALORIES you should be having per day to reach your goals I suggest going to http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php :happy: You put in a few answers pertaining to you and your goals and it brings up a page with what you should be consuming! You can also click where it says "Do you need help with a healthy eating plan?" when you get your results and it'll tell you where you should be getting your nutrients from as far as meat, oils, dairy and so on! Hope this helps and sorry to just have been rambling :laugh: Hope you find what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Watching fat?
    Watching carbs?
    Watching sugar?
    Watching cals?

I know that a combination is best, of course, but was wondering exactly which one(s) is the BEST to consistently keep track ...

exercise.png

I personally watch carbs and calories. Carbs make me feel bloated and yucky...AND they make me gain weight.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It depends on your individual needs. I just count calories and make sure a get close to 1/2 my body weight in protein. I have went over fat and carbs repeatedly and still lose. It hasn't affected my cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar etc (got my test results today) so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing. Crap food and all.:wink:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    so many things to worry about but the MAIN things I focus on....

calories.....
    eat 6 times a day
    get most of my carbs in early....gives me energy and burns off throughout the day
    get 1g of protein per 1lb of my weight
    drink water throughout the day....probably a gallon
    try to just have 1 cheat day a week
    weight train/cardio atleast 5 times a week

getting all my carbs, fats, etc usually fall into plan....I just really focus on my protein
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Well.... CALORIES are the best to watch.

Reason being?

Because calories comes from all of those things...fat, sugar, etc.

Knowing that you keep low calories means you are not eating TOO MUCH fat, sugar, etc.

Not saying that you should eat all your calories from either of those you want to keep them balanced.

Eat meals with mixed nutrition. Make sure your plate has protien, veggies, fruit maybe too, and CARBS. Carbs give you energy and you need them....just make sure they are COMPLEX carbs such as whole grains. not WHOLE WHEAT. that is just a simple carb not beached.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Well.... CALORIES are the best to watch.

Reason being?

Because calories comes from all of those things...fat, sugar, etc.

Knowing that you keep low calories means you are not eating TOO MUCH fat, sugar, etc.

Not saying that you should eat all your calories from either of those you want to keep them balanced.

Eat meals with mixed nutrition. Make sure your plate has protien, veggies, fruit maybe too, and CARBS. Carbs give you energy and you need them....just make sure they are COMPLEX carbs such as whole grains. not WHOLE WHEAT. that is just a simple carb not beached.

Whole wheat a simple????
  • hammersshells
    Options
    From what I have read, you need to watch calories. Losing weight is all about taking in fewer calories than you expend each day. The others all need to be there. If you try to eliminate something (carbs, or fat, or anything else) you may lose weight initially, but it won't be a lifestyle you can maintain for the rest of your life, and as soon as you begin eating carbs (or whatever you had eliminated) again, the weight will come right back. So eat a balance of carbs and protein, healthy fats at every meal, and you should be on your way to being a healthy, happy person! Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd say watching calories is the most important for straight out weight loss, but for better health, you really need to be balanced.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    yes whole wheat is a simple. White bread is bleached wheat. You have to make sure it is whole GRAIN
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm no dietitian, but my understanding is that whole wheat is complex. Sugars are simple.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm no dietitian, but my understanding is that whole wheat is complex. Sugars are simple.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Whole wheat is complex- whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc.
  • pltkoch
    pltkoch Posts: 1
    Options
    I find watching carbs first works for me. Generally I find that if I keep my carbs reasonable that it is easier to also keep me within a good calorie limit too. And it was only when I started trying to keep my carbs down that I really found it easier to lose weight.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    For a better understanding on how a body works, read this article. I found it to be simple and to the point. I believe it's a lot of what some of the people have been saying on this site, but a whole lot easier to understand as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.articlesbase.com/nutrition-articles/how-your-body-uses-food-to-lose-weight-549401.html