best running shoes

Options
I just started walking/running for long distances, I've been walking instead of using a car.
I wanted to know what you guys think would be the best running shoes to buy.
Right now I only have kangaROOS, and I'm pretty sure those aren't even athletic shoes, I'm more of the "wear it because it's pretty even though it makes your heels bleed" person.
Suggestions?

Replies

• Chubbyluvins
    Options
    Running shoes are different on everyone. I would suggest you go to a running store or a sport store and see if they can help you. Brands are different on everyone. I used to wear Saucony, but my last pair were Asics and they are AMAZING. I had to spend a lot more, but its worth it to you hips and knees and ankles to spend a bit more.

A good pair of sneakers WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. trust me!!

Good luck!!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I used to swear by Adidas (trained for and ran a marathon in them), but now I prefer Saucony for running. Check around for places in your area that specialize in running attire. They'll have you take off your shoes and walk for them and make recommendations based on your gait. I went to National Running Center... Hope that helps :happy:

exercise.png
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have become a big fan of ASICS. Check out their website for info on shoe fit.

Skywalker~ That sounds like a great way to buy shoes. Most of the stores around me just have the boxes out to get yourself or a high school kid getting boxes from the back :happy: Who needs someone that can fit shoes anyway :wink:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have become a big fan of ASICS. Check out their website for info on shoe fit.

Skywalker~ That sounds like a great way to buy shoes. Most of the stores around me just have the boxes out to get yourself or a high school kid getting boxes from the back :happy: Who needs someone that can fit shoes anyway :wink:
    Actually, that store recomended either Asics or Saucony. I had a hard time choosing. They were both so comfortable, I picked the Saucony just for the style. Maybe my next pair will be Asics :happy:

exercise.png
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm all over ASICS. I went from being a nikey girl, which caused my toes to go numb, my feet to be wicked sore and my shins to kill...
    When I bought my first pair of ASICS, I felt like I was walking on an air conditioned cloud!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm an Asics gal too, I tried Adidas for a while but they just didn't work as well for me. I started w/ the GT-2110's and now wear the GT-2140's.

But it's all up to your feet and how you run. Go to a good running store and have them check your feet. Take in your old running shoes and they can see how you wear them to know how you pronate.

Happy running! :drinker:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes are no running shoes. Barefoot running is amazing.
  • saralynn321
    Options
    I had a pair of asics for awhile and i love them but then my dog ate them.. :cry: then my dad got my turned on to under armor, I love them, they have this foot sleeve thing in them that keeps your foot from slipping everywhere... I also use the under armor socks! :happy: I love them!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    The best running shoes are no running shoes. Barefoot running is amazing.

Glad you are enjoying it, Cheryl. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I had a pair of asics for awhile and i love them but then my dog ate them.. :cry: then my dad got my turned on to under armor, I love them, they have this foot sleeve thing in them that keeps your foot from slipping everywhere... I also use the under armor socks! :happy: I love them!

I have Under Armor's that I wear for my normal shoes, they are the cross trainers (not the running shoes) and very comfy!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Not that I'm saying it's smart in terms of healthy joints, but I had a pair of Sauconys from 10th grade in high school (2000) all the way til 2007 and I wore them ALL THE TIME. Was on my feet at least 6 hours a day in them. I'm not saying that was the healthiest decision I've ever made, but they held up just find. Even when I threw them away they weren't worn looking (although I'm sure they were very worn). Just saying, very durable and they'll certainly get the job done! :wink:
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    Options
    i agree-a good running store will make you take your shoes off and walk barefoot as well as measure your feet so they can observe your arches and the way you walk and suggests a couple of styles that will be right for your feet. personally i found it makes a HUGE difference to wear a good fitting shoe! then pick the comfiest/most stylish of the ones they suggest. if you don't like the colors, sometimes you can find the same style online in a different color.

i also love my asics-i'm on my second pair now and they are the only shoes i can run in without my knees killing me!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I currently have Nike Shox, I thought I liked them when I tried them on....not so much now!! They feel heavy on my feet. I'm definitely going to try the Asics next.
  • Luv_2_Run
    Luv_2_Run Posts: 9
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me I swear Mizuno molded their shoes off my own feet. They fit perfectly and hold my foot perfectly!! I have tried other brands but Mizuno is for me.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me I swear Mizuno molded their shoes off my own feet. They fit perfectly and hold my foot perfectly!! I have tried other brands but Mizuno is for me.

I agree completely! I almost wept with joy the first time I put on a pair of Mizunos!
    But, everyone IS different and the only way to know for sure is to get your foot type and gait analyzed at a running store. It makes all the difference.
    Also, remember this general rule of thumb...you can walk in running shoes, but don't run in walking shoes! hth! :smile:
  • joyblaylock
    joyblaylock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'll also chime in and say that I love my Asics--GT 2140 is a great shoe with good cushioning and stability too.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    Just to reiterate what everyone's saying: Asics. But Brooks is good too. If you have narrow feet, Nike has more narrow shoes. If you have wide feet, New Balance is good about having shoes available in wide sizes.