Is it TERRIBLE that I don't have a goal?

Options
MrsGoHard
MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
Lately I've been thinking about my weight loss. My approach is to knock it out in 25 lb increments. But when people ask me what my goal weight is, I don't have one. I have seen the photos of people wearing a size 14W at 175, and then with toning wearing a size 7 at the same weight. I have BEEN the person weighing 180 at 5'7" and wearing a size 9. Just NO jiggly fat whatsoever. I've also been a very SOLID 250 lbs.

I DO know that I want to be out of the 200 range for my health's sake, but I just don't see a cookie cutter approach working here. I appeal more to strength training and want my diet to reflect that. But as for a specific NUMBER in how much I want to weigh... I really don't have one. And the way that I carry weight... NOBODY even believes me when I tell them that I weigh close to 265. Taking all of that into consideration, I'd be fine at 190 but 175 is alright too. LOL see... no SOLID number that I wanna weigh!

Does that make sense? Has any one else crossed or approached this bridge, and if so- how did you stay motivated without a specific NUMBER pushing you along?

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! I set a goal, then I achieved it and set a new one. That's how it's been rolling for me- not much different than your 25 lbs increments!!!

I'd say your goal is to lose 25 lbs. When you got that, your next goal is another 25 lbs. Why not?

My original goal was to get to 145. Then it was 135. Then it was 125, Then it was 121. Now it's a six pack :) I'll tell you, 50 lbs ago I never thought I'd be in the 120's nor that I'd ever be able to consider a 6 pack a realistic goal....but now I know it is.

I think your methodology is spot on because you recognize that you don't know where youre gonna end up. If I was 135 with a six pack but I set my goal at 125, would I be disappointed??? Hecks no. The goal is health and strength and joy, right???
  • MrsGoHard
    Options
    Exactly! Thanks so much for that. I was sitting here thinking and it just popped in my head "OH SNAP, I DON'T HAVE A SET GOAL!" I love that you know exactly what I'm talking about. Your example of what your goals TURNED into is exactly what I'm thinking of.
  • tifferzb1206
    tifferzb1206 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a goal for the sake of wanting to feel a sense of achievement. That being said, I have the type of body that needs constant attention to even maintain weight. So when I think of a major goal it's hard for me to pick a place because I feel I may trick myself into thinking that is a "stopping point". I don't really ever want to stop working toward health and fitness. That doesn't mean that I don't plan on ever eating a piece of fried anything ever again but I think curbing bad habits with few indulgences is going to leave me happy in the end.Therefore if I could go to the store and buy something in a straight size (as in no plus size section) I'd be pretty satisfied and I'd probably celebrate but I don't plan to ever stop being health conscious where it comes to how I treat my body with food and exercise.

I may have gone off on a tangent but basically I totally feel you lolll
  • MrsGoHard
    Options
    no! I can dig it! and I honestly feel the same way. Like I know ME. So what you said may be part of my "nogoal" mess, but I feel where you're coming from. Because if I get into a size 10 and I look good.. I don't want to say "ok, that's it." LOL and then act like I don't have to do anything else... cause I do. So I get you