HRM...a bit of a rant, and a question.

Options
klynn81
klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
So I posted my during success story
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/526758--42lbs-the-bridesmaid-dress

mostly all of which was accomplished just by walking and making better food choices.

I'd like to start actually utilizing the food diary on here to track my calories, and as a reward have decided I'm gonna buy myself that HRM to track my calories during workouts (gonna add in some weights, biking, and attempt c25k again now that it's nice out). I know I can lose without one, but I want one, and think it'll be well worth it.

I've been going back and forth between the Polar FT7 and Polar FT4. I am American, but live in Canada, and boy do I find shopping here completely frustrating. Twice the price, and half the selection it always seems.

The cheapest I've found so far is at Mountain Equipment Coop.
FT7 is $145 + 12% tax = $162.40
FT4 is $125 + 12% tax = $140.00

absolutely ridiculous when you consider the prices you can get them for in the states in stores, or online. Problem is, most places don't ship to Canada, and if they do you it costs more for shipping, and you run the risk of getting slapped with duty charges so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to even go that route. Plus factor in the length of time you gotta wait for it arrive, and well I'm feeling really impatient. lol.

Anyone fellow Canadians know where you can order one cheaper?

For those that have one of these Polar HRM's, if I end up buying one at MEC, do you think it's worth it to get the FT7 for an extra $22??

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    try ebay? -- I have a bodymedia fit and I looove it! :)
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Does Amazon ship to Canada? I got mine from there and it was cheaper than the stores at that time. Polar FT4
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a crazy increase!
    For those that have one of these Polar HRM's, if I end up buying one at MEC, do you think it's worth it to get the FT7 for an extra $22??

No, I don't. FT7 stores 100 sessions vs the FT4's 10 sessions. Does that matter to you? It's fun but I don't know if it's necessary. The FT7 also can connect wireless to the Polar site - IF you buy a separate dock. If that's not important to you, FT4 seems just fine.
  • deejayy89
    deejayy89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just bought my FT4 from amazon. It was $74 with free shipping.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar F6 at Canadian Tire for just around $100.00...
  • pebbles0927
    pebbles0927 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    amazon.ca that's where I got mine!
    Mine is a MIO
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Amazon has ft4 for like 60+ and target has it for 93$
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Amazon is the way to go. It usually arrives in 3 days with no shipping charges! FT7 is worth it
  • rouleaux
    rouleaux Posts: 31
    Options

I've been going back and forth between the Polar FT7 and Polar FT4. I am American, but live in Canada, and boy do I find shopping here completely frustrating. Twice the price, and half the selection it always seems.

bump - I'm a fellow Canadian and ran into this issue too... interested to see the responses!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    try ebay? -- I have a bodymedia fit and I looove it! :)

^^^ I just bought one and I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to come!!!
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Check EBay. Most US. sellers should have no problem shipping to Canada. Save you some bucks. You might consider Garmin as well for GPS.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I think if you order from Amazon Canada, you save big. The exchange rate is accounted for, no duties, no high shipping costs.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I got my MIO from Academy. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but I think I only paid like $69 for it.
  • k9blues
    k9blues Posts: 2
    Options
    adding my two cents, I am in the UK, got a Polar FT4 and Amazon is the way to go
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the specs, but I recently bought the lowest cost Polar which works fine, even in the pool, but it doens't keep track of more than one exercise. You either pause and continue, or its lost forever. My older polar stored seemingly endless amounts of prior workouts.

If keeping track of calories burned is of interest, I wouldn't buy their entry level device.

If you exercise more outdoors than in, a Garmin with GPS and HR Strap is a bonue. If predominantly indoors, GPS becomes a hindrance and overkill.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I got a brand new FT4 polar HRM and it just came in the mail yesterday.
    got it on amazon and only paid around $65....
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eeek, that's a big increase in cost. Sorry :noway:

I think to start off, you should get the FT4. I have it and I was debating on the two, but the FT7 just does a lot more stuff that I knew I wouldn't use. So I think until I want to do the online thing and store more sessions and such, I will stick to FT4, totally gets the job done and I love it. And it was no more than $70, I believe.

I would have someone in the states buy it for you and then just ship it. If that's not an option, then I wouldn't pay the extra for the FT7, because I think some of the options are unnecessary.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Treadmillfactory.ca has the FT4 on sale for $80. I just bought from them last week, with taxes and shipping it came to $97. Super fast shipping too.
  • klynn81
    Options
    Treadmillfactory.ca has the FT4 on sale for $80. I just bought from them last week, with taxes and shipping it came to $97. Super fast shipping too.

Thank You!!!! Much better!

Was considering ordering one online and having it shipped to my family and then them ship it to me, but I think I'll go this route.
  • klynn81
    Options

If you exercise more outdoors than in, a Garmin with GPS and HR Strap is a bonue. If predominantly indoors, GPS becomes a hindrance and overkill.

In the winter, I'm mostly indoors. The other months of the year it's probably 50/50. I don't need GPS so I'm gonna stick with the Polar. But thanks.