Cholesterol Question

Options
Got results from my routine cholesterol test today. Numbers were okay overall except for my HDL...

Total = 181
LDL = 123
HDL = 32
Total/HDL ratio = 5.7

I've been taking Niacin (500mg/day) for quite some time. And these results are after losing about 20 lb. and become active (~30 min./day 3x a week) for the last 3.5-4 months.

Anyone have any recommendations for increasing the HDL number without increasing the total cholesterol? So far, I've read about eating more whole grains (I already eat oatmeal every morning and whole wheat bread as part of my sandwich everyday), more nuts (could definitely stand to eat more), and fish (I try to eat once a week or so). One tricky part is how to eat more of the good stuff without packing in the calories....

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Good oily fish (like Salmon) might well do the trick. If you don't like fish then try fish oil supplements.

And make sure your workout routine is varied with some intense periods. Strike a balance between weights and cardio. The more exercise you can fit into your week, the better your LDL/HDL ratio will be.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Flax and a fish oil supplement will help.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough some believe that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol, IE 1-2 drinks a day can raise HDL. Haven't seen any studies on this so it may indeed be anechdotal evidence. Interesting all the same.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough some believe that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol, IE 1-2 drinks a day can raise HDL. Haven't seen any studies on this so it may indeed be anechdotal evidence. Interesting all the same.

It is better safe than sorry, only certain wines contain these properties, there is also a boat load of sugar in wine. But I am also a person who can not comprehend the idea of alcohol in moderation as well. :tongue:

http://www.ilowcholesterol.com/Alcohol-And-Cholesterol.html

It is now known that drinking alcohol may help raise the HDL levels and help a person to get rid of the unwanted LDL. But it has to be remembered that such properties are only possessed by certain wines and not by all alcoholic beverages.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exercise is one of the best ways to raise it. Monounsaturated fats and fruits are also good. Soy has been shown to raise it. Pay attention to the glycemic load of your foods. A diet of foods with a low GL has been shown to raise HDL.

If you smoke, stop. Smoking lowers HDL.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Best way to increase HDL is exercise. What's you activity level look like?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think most medical organizations site and "association" between moderate alcohol consumption and increased HDL. This is likely because there is clinical evidence showing that those who drink in moderation have higher HDL values, but not enough evidence to say that the alcohol is what raised it. Although, wine contains the same antioxidants found in fruit, which have been shown to raise HDL.
  • tamuaggie2007
    tamuaggie2007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I definitely need to increase the frequency of my fish consumption.

Don't smoke (never have), and I try to get about 30 min. of aerobic activity in 3x per week. I'm going to try and slowly work the time per day up and then hopefully increase the frequency to 4-5 times per week.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Fiber is your friend. Fiber binds the bile salts in your body and takes them out with bowel movements. To replace the bile salts lost, the body must convert cholesterol into bile salt. This is why increasing the fiber in your diet is scientifically proven to lower cholesterol.

You already know whole grains and nuts contain fiber. It's also in a lot of fruits and veggies. Here's a helpful list: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582