Backsliding....

Options
No.. not some cool new exercise.

I'm talking about where you're on a roll.. and you feel like "one night won't kill me" or one weekend trip and you'll hit the gym hard on Monday.. but when something else comes up and maybe you miss a day.. or you got a little over your calories a day here or there... and then you realize it's been almost basically a week that you haven't made any progress losing weight.. or worse you've gained a few pounds back (like I have).

Logically I know this is no big thing, get back on track and things will work. Ignore the bump in the road, treat it as one of your obstacles to tackle, and move on.

But it's kind of a kick in the groin, too.

Anyone else go through this recently? Any extra good tips on motivation? I figure I'll be able to work through it.. but it would be nice to hear some other folks say they've been through it as well. Also it doesn't hurt that I'm bored at the end of the work day and could use a distraction.

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I go through this about every six weeks. Then I end up depressed and hating myself and then I have to lose the same 10 or so freaking pounds AGAIN. I'm so pissed at myself when I do it. It turns into a freaking binge from hell.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's my pattern for years now. This week I set a goal. I am not drinking alcohol all week. I am going to the gym every day and walking every day at lunch. It's Thursday already and I feel such a sense of accomplishment. I can't let St Patty's day ruin my momentum. At least I hope not.
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    Me too I have backslide a few times especially in the last year.... But I have set some goals this month for myself I wrote them down and even made a spread sheet to keep track which I have stuck with and done pretty well for the last 3weeks. next friday is my last day then I think I will set new ones.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I go through this all the time, mostly because of my work schedule. I have everything planned out a week ahead of time (what/when to eat since I pre-log food, when to workout, etc). I am a third shift cop, so when I have to go to training or court, those things take up my time on a first shift schedule when I would normally like to be asleep...and this throws everything off! The best I do is just to stick to my diet and not worry about missing a workout (cause I need sleep too!) and move on to the next day.

As far as holidays or planned outings, I always work these into my schedule cause we know they are coming no matter what. I'm not going to pretend that I will do well on Christmas Day when I know in my heart I will be eating half a turkey and some pecan pie, lol.

I've also noticed, that when I do most of my exercise in the form of weight training rather than cardio, those slip-ups don't hurt me so much. When I was a cardio bunny, if I went a week off my diet and without exercising, I would gain 2 inches in my waist and 5 pounds. Now that I do 4 days of weights and 1-2 days of cardio, I may feel a little bloated, but definitely nothing major and after 1-2 days back on track, I am back to "normal" and then 3-4 days later losing once again to below what I was the previous week. :flowerforyou:
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I sort of went through this last week. I was sick with the flu, out of work for 3 days & still sick over the weekend. Unfortunately, this also meant that I missed a full week's worth of work-outs. This Monday, my first day back to work, I still wasn't 100% & was kinda dragging, but was also looking forward to my after work weight training. But as the day was moving along, I started feeling more & more tired, started wondering if my body & I were really ready to get back to full strength, etc. I was so close to giving into the excuse & almost gave myself permission not to go, but thankfully I didn't. Afterwards, I felt SO great!!! It was akin to really good sex! Now I will always have that to refer to when giving in to the excuse seems too tempting...my body wants it & who am I to deny myself?!?!?
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Im going through this now,
    This has been such a crap week in healthy living land,
    I ate 6 pieces of shortbread today (over 500 cals)
    And i desperately want to order Pizza Hut even though its late,
    On top of this I have my work weigh in tomo am
    I'm dreading it as I have prob put on!!! :(

Ive been so good but ive just fallen off the bandwagon!
    Im thinking maybe i shoud just have what I want today,
    Then get back on it tomo :(

Gosh, im such a bundle of joy and positivity today lol!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't feel so bad... I had a whole pint of Hagen Dazs Rocky Road day before yesterday and an entire package of frozen mac and cheese, that Bob Evans kind... I think there were 4 servings in it. And that's not all. It was probably a 5,000 calorie day.

So... I just stopped and jumped back on the bandwagon. I feel good after two good workout and eating days, but still not 100%. I think shocks to your system can help sometimes. Weigh in and shake it off.

If you are going to think about pizza for the rest of the week, have it tonight and be done with it. I find when I want something, I eat EVERYTHING ELSE, plus what I wanted in the first place.
  • I_Stole_Batman
    Options
    I'm going through that. It started when i plateaued and i got so frustrated seeing the same number for weeks even though i was doing well that i let a few small treats back in but then instead of a treat a week now i'm having treat a day! And i cant seem to stop! And now i'm getting hungrier all the time making it hard to get my intake back down. :(