~*~ Opinions, please. ~*~

Options
Hello. My current weight is about 230, and I'd like to reach at least 140. I work out a few times a week, but they aren't crazy work-outs yet. I eat back most of my exercise calories. Right now, I had my counter set at 1200 calories a day. I did lose about 4 pounds in a month, but I wanted to know what your thoughts were on raising my calorie intake.

I don't feel like I have much energy during the day. It's honestly kind of a struggle for me to stay at 1200, and when I go over, I feel really guilty. I was thinking maybe raising my intake would help with energy, but I'd really like to get some other opinions from people who eat more than 1200, but are still losing at a decent rate. Now, I know speed isn't everything, but I know I'd get easily discouraged if my weight loss was significantly dwindled down. I know healthy weight loss is better than starving yourself though, it's more sustainable.

Would raising my calorie intake slow down my weight loss, or help? If you think I should up my intake, what would you recommend I raise it to? I was thinking maybe 1500-1600 would be better.

Replies

• nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am by no means am expert but I would raise your intake. I weigh 138ish and am currently at about 1300 and I have considered taking that us a little as well. 1200 just was NOT cutting it...I was always hungry and didn't feel good cause of it.
    So, that is just my opinion. Good luck losing weight!! Keep it up. Exersice isn't only about losing but making yourself feel better and healthier in the process!! : )
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did a little cheat in a BMR calculator, told it you were 5'5" and 25 years old and it came back (@140 lbs) with a BMR 1452 cal per day & BMR is what your body would use if you spend the day in bed (at 230lbs it's 1843 cal)

It's no wonder your energy levels are low. If you assume that normal day-to-day activities are 500 cal and you're eating at your target weight maintenance would be closer to 1900 cal per day, so yes - you probably should be eating more.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and when I started MFP (again) about 3 weeks ago I weighed in at 227.8 My goal is 174 and then I will work down from there. My calorie intake through MFP when I started was 1500. I work out some everyday. I usually eat back the majority of my calories and I have been able to loose 10 pounds in this amount of time. I have a very physically demanding job, I work in retail at a landscaping company and this is the time of the year where we are setting up displays unloading statuary, plants plus your usual spring cleaning. I have lots of energy during the day. I also make sure to have a morning snack and an afternoon snack if I need one. I think it would be wise for you to up your calories. I thought i would be starving too but I'm not, and if I am I eat a healthy snack and I'm good to go. It is also very important to drink your water. Not sure if this helped you or not but we are starting around the same place so I thought I would share what has worked for me. Feel free to friend me or send me a message if you need to talk.
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    alright thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it. :) I'm glad I made a good decision.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    1500-1600 sounds good. Really reasonable and doable.

I started at 235, lost 79 in about a year so I'm at 156 right now. I probably average in the general range you're thinking. Go for it, dude.
  • samanthanic0le
    Options
  • la_traviesa36013
    Options
    Oh and I heard exercising more will really increase your energy :) Me and you are about the same height and we are the same weight so im interested to know if increasing your calorie intake will work for you. I currently eat only 900-1000 calories a day. And ive had steady weight loss.
  • samanthanic0le
    Options
    Oh and I heard exercising more will really increase your energy :) Me and you are about the same height and we are the same weight so im interested to know if increasing your calorie intake will work for you. I currently eat only 900-1000 calories a day. And ive had steady weight loss.

I'll probably try out 1500 for a few weeks, maybe a month. I'll let you know how it goes :) Congrats on your weight loss, I definitely don't have the self control for that little! :P
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Definitely raise your calories. 1500 sounds much better and will be easier to stick to. 1200 is difficult to maintain long term and you will get frustrated quickly. As you continue to exercise, you will gain muscle tone and your metabloism will increase and you will continue to loose weight.
  • la_traviesa36013
    Options
    Lol trust me i was good with this little caloried the first 5 months and I lost 55lbs (starting weight 275, Down to 220). But The last 6 months Ive been Off track Completely and Ive gained 20 back :( But im starting My weight loss plan again to try and lose the 20 i gained PLUS Another 40 after that. Good Luck to you too & Keep in touch :)
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else...you really got to listen to your body....it def sounds like your body is not getting enough fuel....
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can't do 1200 calories - throws me onto a plateau every time. I need to average 1325 - 1325 to lose. I think you should plug your height/weight into the MFP database, select 2 lbs a week, and see what it says. Try that number of calories. If you don't feel better, reset to 1 lb a week - it's not a race, right? If you're willing to play around a bit, you'll find your happy place.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    yea up them.. going to lower can potentially put your body into "starvation mode" .. basically stopping any progress. its better to start high.. and work your way down.. don't just pick a low number and go from there.
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    I was at 1200 and HUNGRY.
    I changed some settings, saying I wanted to lose 1 pound a week instead of 2. It bumped me up to 1470 and I'm much happier, not hungry, and broke a plateau the fist week on my new calorie intake.

Don't be afraid of experimenting :)