Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Visalus: Body by Vi Shakes

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Has anyone heard of these shakes, Body by Vi, Visalus? Apparently they are supported by the American Heart Association, and can be for weight loss of muscle gain.
    I found it highly unlikely that an organization like the American Heart Association would endorse this.

Try Googling "body by vi american heart association". I see pages where they cite info from the organization, but no endorsement. I can't find anything supporting your statement. If one of their reps told you this, you may want to ask for some proof.

If there is no substance behind this statement, I would recommend editing your post and removing that portion, as it would be false and misleading.
    I was told by the rep. Dont mean to be misleading, just curious :)
    No worries. Now you have some homework to give your rep! :wink:

• Anyone drinking these or have any advice on them?

Would you like advice from someone not drinking them?

Any advice is appreciated :)

First of all, replacing a meal with a protein supplement will "typically" result in a net decrease in calories. This is why (and this is the only reason) that using a meal replacement can induce weight loss.

This isn't necessary and I would even say that I wouldn't recommend replacing food with liquids simply from a satiety standpoint. You're already (presumably) eating at a deficit, therefore you should be getting as much satiety as possible with your food choices, to make deficit eating more tolerable.

Lastly, protein supplements are fine. I use them as do several other people. I just don't think you should replace food with them and I think you could find a much better option in terms of price.
    This/

Thanks so much, I am starting to weight train and was looking into protein shakes when I ran into a rep for them. I think I will try a protein shake for a boost not a meal replacement! :) Now I have to figure out a workout that I can actually follow and a protein shake that I will like :-/!! LOL.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    :) Commenting so I can follow.

I have several friends who are using this program now and they're pushing it pretty hard but anytime I see gimmicks such as this I cringe.
  • Look up the magazines Success from Home and The Challenge. This is where you will find more of the detailed information than anywhere else. I have been on Visalus for over 5 months and have lost 22lbs. I have more energy and feel fuller than I have ever felt on any other program, including preparing and eating correctly with "real food". I currently do not exercise but I can definitely see a difference everywhere dropping 3 pant sizes! I am losing slower now but I know its because I need to add exercise, but am no hurry. The slower you lose the larger the probability of maintaining the weight loss. The amount of positive (i.e vitamins, minerals, and nutrients) that is included in each shake outweigh the negative by mountains! People from all walks of life have found success in the program...weight loss, weight maintenance, body building. Good Luck on your Journey!
  • penrbrown
    I have several friends who have been trying to push me into this.

Thankfully my laundry list of allergies makes the shake impossible for me and that usually gets them off my back.

I think I would like this product more if it weren't obviously a way for people to make money and little else.
  • Hi I am a director with ViSalus and am starting a new 90 day health challenge tomorrow. I am looking for people to start with me and check on our progress together. I lost 10 lbs, 19 inches, and 8 points on my bmi for the first 90 days. My blood sugar and cholesteral were normal for the first time in over 25 years. My Dr was very impressed. I have more energy too! So now have to start the working out part.
  • Remember EVERYTHING you buy, somebody is making money off of it. It is just a matter of what works for you. ViShape is gluten free and uses non-GMO soy protein which is why it is safe for people that normally cannot have soy.
    My husband is the absolute worst skeptic, and finally after 4 months of me becoming a distributor, he finally started a routine of drinking the shake (EVEN making it himself!) and is down 37 lbs and now my biggest promoter.
  • penrbrown
    Remember EVERYTHING you buy, somebody is making money off of it. It is just a matter of what works for you. ViShape is gluten free and uses non-GMO soy protein which is why it is safe for people that normally cannot have soy.
    My husband is the absolute worst skeptic, and finally after 4 months of me becoming a distributor, he finally started a routine of drinking the shake (EVEN making it himself!) and is down 37 lbs and now my biggest promoter.

Actually... you might want to reconsider that gluten-free statement. :)
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Hi I am a director with ViSalus and am starting a new 90 day health challenge tomorrow. I am looking for people to start with me and check on our progress together. I lost 10 lbs, 19 inches, and 8 points on my bmi for the first 90 days. My blood sugar and cholesteral were normal for the first time in over 25 years. My Dr was very impressed. I have more energy too! So now have to start the working out part.

How can only 10 lbs make an 8 point difference in BMI???? Seems that 10 lbs would make a 2-3 point difference at most.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Remember EVERYTHING you buy, somebody is making money off of it. It is just a matter of what works for you. ViShape is gluten free and uses non-GMO soy protein which is why it is safe for people that normally cannot have soy.

According to their website, it is indeed gluten free...

http://www.bodybyvishape.com/
  • penrbrown

According to their website, it is indeed gluten free...

http://www.bodybyvishape.com/

Apparently the shakes powder is processed on shared equipment and may contain wheat. Or at least this is the information I've been given. This would mean it isn't TRULY gluten free. But instead may have been cross contaminated...

Anyway, as someone who can't tolerate gluten I'm not willing to take the risk.
  • I've been using the Body By Vi shakes since February. Not only did I loose 60 lbs in my 90 day challenge (Dropping from 284 to 224) I've been getting my kits for free every month. All I pay is shipping. If you buy the $99 shape kit (2 shakes a day) and get it free for 8 months, that's only $0.20 a shake/meal. That's only for the first 8 months... Even people lousy at math can figure that to be a very inexpensive choice. And don't let the sweetener scare you either. I'm health conscious, and there's only as much sucralose as is in 1/4 can of diet soda.
  • twinmommy3
    twinmommy3 Posts: 28 Member
    I was really thinking about trying this, but 10lbs in 90 days does not warrent spending that kind of money. I don't want a miracle cure, but I would hope to lose more than 10lbs in 90 days.
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    I have heard and read the pros and cons on the Vi phenom. and much like other pyramid type ideas that is how they all work. That is business, that is not a shocker, no one hides the fact that it is a business. Other peoples success helps your success etc.
    What I am interested in is the people that have had success with Vi and then stopped drinking the shakes and went back to all food diets. Was the weight loss maintained or do you forever have to replace with the shakes to sustain the loss?
    I am not judging anyone for what they do, I walk my path and they walk theirs, but wondering about the maintenance.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I have heard and read the pros and cons on the Vi phenom. and much like other pyramid type ideas that is how they all work. That is business, that is not a shocker, no one hides the fact that it is a business. Other peoples success helps your success etc.
    What I am interested in is the people that have had success with Vi and then stopped drinking the shakes and went back to all food diets. Was the weight loss maintained or do you forever have to replace with the shakes to sustain the loss?
    I am not judging anyone for what they do, I walk my path and they walk theirs, but wondering about the maintenance.

Ask anyone that's ever used any other shake and there is your answer. Learning to eat real food in a healthy manner is best in the long run.
  • I'd rather make a greek yogurt shake at home with banana (base), raspberries (anti-ox), strawberries (vitamin C), and cucumber (vitamin A), it's fast, and it's easy for a light breakfast or if you're not super hungry, but don't wanna skip a meal and screw yourself up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Word of warning-- as a rule don't take advice about a product from anyone with only one post. They might be a real forum user but it's much more likely they're just here to promote the product.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    I make my own shakes with 1 scoop of whey protein, a banana, a tbspn of pnut butter, and 8 oz of unsweetned almond milk. Comes to 200-300 calories and doesn't cost me nearly as much. If you are looking for a protein supplement go with a whey shake, not an expensive pyramid scheme. Using shakes as a meal replacement isn't horrible but it also isnt sustainable. No point in paying all that money for something you can make in your own kitchen.
  • therealmax
    therealmax Posts: 33 Member
    Word of warning-- as a rule don't take advice about a product from anyone with only one post. They might be a real forum user but it's much more likely they're just here to promote the product.

So much this. You read my mind!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    One shake a day is going to put you back over $50 once you pay for shipping. If you want to drink 2 shakes a day expect to pay just over $100 with shipping.

The Visalus shakes taste good, but the protein content is so-so. I prefer another brand, that also happens to be "direct sell" but is much less money (Around 70 w/ shipping for 60 shakes) and the protein content is higher too.

I tried Visalus's plan last year w/ 2 shakes a day, and lost 5 pounds my first month, and 3 pounds my second month. Again, another failed plan for me because my portions were out of control for dinner. Sigh. So, in my first 2 months I lost less than 10 pounds, and I gained it back plus some rather quickly last fall.

This summer I started watching my calories, and portion control, eating 5 meals a day (every 3 hours or so). In 2.5 months I was down 26 pounds. It's been 4.5 months and I'm down 41 now. Yes it's a different eating plan, but it's working for me. It just so happens that I'm drinking a shake for breakfast most mornings (not Visalus), but I don't have to on the plan I'm using... and I very well might not be drinking shakes once it is further into winter.

edited to add weight loss info