Exercise novice.

Options
Hi! My name's Katie, I've been signed up for months, but just started using MFP faithfully about a week ago. :) New to the forums also. I have been keeping to the nutrition part, but I am woefully lacking in exercise. Any life-long couch potatoes have any suggestions for starting out? I got into walking/jogging/running and was able to run a 1/4 mile a few months ago (from being winded after a walk)... but I got attacked by some dogs, and lost motivation. I will start trying that again, just need to get my act together. Are there any good apps for droid that yall know of?? Add me as a friend if you want, I don't know anyone on here very well. :)

Thanks!
-Katie

Replies

• alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie,

I too am just learning to exercise. I have a stationary bike and do some walking. I was injuried and down for a year. So my energy level as not been the best. I will send you a freind request. Maybe we can keep each other motivated.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    For now I am just doing fast paced walking on the treadmill but I am building up the amount of time and distance. I ordered some videos and will start alternating them. I have the MyFitnessPal app on my droid phone.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people like C25K. Or try something fun and interactive... like dance class, an adult kickball league, or something like that... whatever sounds like it might be fun for you.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For now I am just doing fast paced walking on the treadmill but I am building up the amount of time and distance. I ordered some videos and will start alternating them. I have the MyFitnessPal app on my droid phone.

I have the MFP app on my phone, absolutely love the barcode scanner. :)) I am anxiously awaiting the "Run! Zombies!" app for the droid, it's already out for iPhone, lucky... And thanks!
  • vickysfh
    vickysfh Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi There! I am a couch-potato too... It is very hard to find the motivation to workout after a day at work and I'm not a morning person... Anyway, I've found something that I really like: Zumba! so I do it once a week and I bought a stationary bike. Even if I'm not a morning person, I've found that the best part of the day to exercice is first thing in the morning (empty stomach) and I only do a 20 min hard workout (like spinning program: 15 sec very hard and then it switch to 1 min at slower pace). It really boost my day and I found a better fat lost in doing it first thing in the morning. Then, I treat myself with a homemade frozen stawberry/banana smoothie(magic bullet!). I follow the 1290 cal per day and it is not too bad, I have to control the portions... If you feel lack of energy, try Vitamin B complex... I take one everyday and I really noticed a difference, more energy and less stress...

Voila!!! Just trying to give you some motivation!
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and I have found I love walking but have not managed running/jogging yet. I'll try for a little bit then feel dead after! I'm walking faster and feeling better after every walk :)

I'm a bit nervous about going to a gym (working on it :smile: ) so I have bought some fitness DVD's I do at home. These are great as I don't have to go anywhere and even if it's raining outside I can have a decent workout. The DVD's are also good to pack if youre travelling and don't have access to a gym.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never exercised and I'm terribly out of shape. I just started the Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack. I can't get through the whole thing yet, but I keep plugging away at it. I've done 5 days straight and I'm going to take today off. I'm so sore I can hardly move. I also walk alot and do some stationary bike.

Usually when I'm done exercising (and I'm talking 20 minutes tops!) I feel so exhausted I'm almost sick. It passes soon, but is that normal? Will it eventually get better as I get in better shape?
  • AnotherGirl23
    Options
    Wow attacked by dogs? That would keep me inside forever. I love dogs, though...

I know too well how it goes...meaning the loss of motivation--its all too easy!

I don't know what happened the last time I finally committed myself but I have not missed more than 2 days in a row of exercise in 6 weeks (one day a week is for rest and it is a definite must have)

I was like you and could only walk, walk/run or run for a very slow amount of time...Now, today, I ran 1.3 miles straight.

Let me tell you though...I wouldn't have been able to do this unless I ran every other day or every two days. The muscles you use from running need some time to recuperate--therefore my week looks like this: run, zumba, hip hop abs, run, zumba, rest. or run instead of the hip hop abs...you get it.

I've been able to see such a change but PLEASE don't quit because I was about to and I just stuck to it and now I can run longer distances! AND IT FEELS SO GREAT AFTER YOU WORK OUT! Try Zumba though...I love it...and it's FUN!

Good luck!
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'm dreadfully shy, so Zumba scares me, but maybe I'll get it for my little sisters Wii. That way I won't be completely unfamiliar in a class? And I love dogs too, I was walking mine when we were accosted... was protecting her at the time. lol Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The MFP people are the best!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Hey Katie, I use the App Noom, it gives me a medal when I open my phone so I can see how im doing on my calorie burn it also helps keep me motivated to make sure my medal is also gold.

When I started I loved to watch TV so I would jog in place durning the commercials so I never missed my show. Eventully I switched on the radio and just started dancing around the house. I have found the a good Vitiam B with am Iron supplement really started giving me lots of energy. I also work out in the morning. Helps me stay focused through the day.

Good luck and just try to find something you enjoy and You will eventully stick to the workout