"banking" calories

Options
Is it possible to bank those extra calories you just can't seem to eat? I have some days where I just don't eat all of my calories because I am simply not hungry. Some days I go over because I can't get enough to eat. On the days where I don't eat all of my cals do you think it evens out by the end of the week as long as I don't go too far over on my "over cals" days? I know in Weight Watchers you can bank "points" and it works... just curious...

Replies

• kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    I am curious, too.(:
  • valerieee
    valerieee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have always wondered how this would work.... would be nice to know! :)
  • damehov77
    Options
    I would say you could. I did WW also and you could use the extra points on how you say fit.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing if this works or not.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thats the weight watchers program. It works very well for a lot of people. Good Luck
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you don't go over your caloric intake for the whole week and aren't "starving" yourself.. Just be weary if you are banking them to binge on certain day, because those foods could have a lot of fat or sugars and such.
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    Some other posts have talked about looking at weekly net calories over daily net calories. I imagine it would be the same thing; going over/under one day would still even out over the course of the week.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    I look at my overall average for the week. Some days are up, some are down. When I know I have an occasion that I will eat heavier, I shave calories the other days so my weekly average balances out.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    some people average their week and it works for them (go under some days and over other days as long as the average for the week is their target amount) I can't do it, any time I go over it takes bites me. Hope it works for you.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    To lose one pound of fat, you must burn approximately 3500 calories over and above what you already burn doing daily activities...for the week. So i would say yes to banking calories...as long as you don't go over for the whole week and still manage to burn at least 3500 calories.

If you are under by 200 one night, I am sure going over by 200 the next night won't be detrimental to your journey.

I am not an expert though...I'm just trying to make an educated guess.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, when I look at my weekly totals on my iPod it tells me how many calories for the week. I haven't found the same page on my computer, but hey I'm lazy enough not to worry about it since I have the iPod.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So would you go by your"net" calories or the "goal" calories?
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can as long as you average the same amount under for the week. It is actually better to do it this way so that your metabolism does not establish a homeostasis. I have been doing it and have lost steadily without issue. However, I spike one day instead, and save all my exercise calories for Saturday and then eat WAY over my allotment. This serves the purpose of kicking up your metabolism and keeps your body guessing.
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    For the first six months, I was a stickler for remaining under my calories EVERY DAY. After that, I decided that as long as my average for the week is still under, I'm still under. That allows me to have bad days (or special occasions, etc.) and not kick myself, because I know I can hit the treadmill tomorrow and balance it out. This strategy has worked for me, and I'm more relaxed about my eating on a daily basis (unless it's Saturday and I'm still over for the week ;) ).
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I look at my weekly calories as well as daily. Sometimes I go over on the daily, but make sure my weekly calories are under; It has worked for me:)
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I go by goal calories:)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Yes, it's usually referred to as zigzagging and though there is not any real research on it (just like there isn't substantial research on the current push for body confusion or cross training in regards to workouts -- I mean REAL scientific research not my buddy says or this clinic says...). But, the reasoning behind both seems to make since so why not...
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your input!! I love MFP!! I'm going to check on my weekly calories, I've never actually looked at it that way. I always focus on daily calories.