saggy left over skin from weight loss... how to avoid it?

Options
i saw this youtube video of this girl who lost 110lbs and she looks super young BUT she had massive left over saggy skin from her weight lost and honestly it scared me!
ultimately im supposed to be losing 90lbs and now im terrified of having crazy saggy skin on my stomach or something!

how can this be avoided? Im 22, i workout everyday and i thought if i lost the weight it would look great but now im not so sure...? has anyone lost 90lbs or more and avoided the saggy skin curse? what can we do to avoid it! HELP because if im destined to have saggy skin id rather just stay slightly plump lol

Replies

• ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The younger you are, the better. Lose your weight at a slow and steady pace. I use cocoa butter everyday. Also be sure to do some toning exercises. The older you are and the longer you have had the weight, the harder it is to prevent the skin.
  • geostrophic
    geostrophic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    U should massage daily with luke warm mustardoil......that while losing fat...trying building muscle too ...
    it will solve all your worries :-)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Eating adequate FAT, drinking lots of water, dry brushing all help to firm and tighten the skin.

Most people that eat low fat eating plans are the ones that end up with the sagging skin.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    There are some people on here that have lost large amounts of weight and SWEAR by wearing Spanx (tight shapewear) during their weightloss, and other people that swear by various creams/lotions/supplements and drinking large amounts of water, others that say heavy weightlifting is a must. You could do some searching and try a variety of methods but a lot of it will come down genetics, age, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The research I have seen suggest that building muscle will help minimize saggy skin but it all depends on how much elasticity you have left.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Build muscle/weight train. That is the #1 key to help reducing the amount of loose skin you'll have.
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    Hi friend! I know it has A LOT to do with how long you've been holding onto the extra weight. I only got VERY over weight towards the end, but I always carried a good 40 lbs too much.
    I have a little extra skin.. Most people wouldn't even notice it on me.. I've been doing strength training, and drinking a lot of water.. Im with you tho, im terrified these last 15 lbs will make it more noticable..
  • angelbeville
    Options
    I have been overweight since birth (HA!), and obese for at least twenty years. I am 46, and was deathly afraid of the sagging skin! But after 90 pounds gone since March, my skin seems to be shrinking along with me. I do work out, but not fanatically so, and I try to moisturize, but also not fanatically so. I think I must be lucky! Or genetically blessed. I'm hoping my luck will hold out as I work on losing 50 more lbs.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The younger you are, the better. Lose your weight at a slow and steady pace. I use cocoa butter everyday. Also be sure to do some toning exercises. The older you are and the longer you have had the weight, the harder it is to prevent the skin.

Great Answer!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight since birth (HA!), and obese for at least twenty years. I am 46, and was deathly afraid of the sagging skin! But after 90 pounds gone since March, my skin seems to be shrinking along with me. I do work out, but not fanatically so, and I try to moisturize, but also not fanatically so. I think I must be lucky! Or genetically blessed. I'm hoping my luck will hold out as I work on losing 50 more lbs.

I am glad to read this as it is a big worry for me and I am 44, thanks for sharing :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    damn am i in trouble...
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been afraid of the same skin! I'm definitely taking some of these replies to heart. I'm 21 also, and need to lose give or take 100 lbs. I'm hoping for the best, though. I get all of the weird 20-generations-ago-genetics. So we'll see. Good luck to you!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    i've lost well over 90 lbs and it's not horrible but there is loose skin, I've also had 2 kids though so that's part of the problem for me.
  • perty09
    Options
    I have been afraid of the same skin! I'm definitely taking some of these replies to heart. I'm 21 also, and need to lose give or take 100 lbs. I'm hoping for the best, though. I get all of the weird 20-generations-ago-genetics. So we'll see. Good luck to you!

I ended up talking to a personal trainer about the loose skin problem and he told me that if youre working out and doing strength training/toning up then it really shouldnt be a problem, especially if you're younger... i definitly feel better after talking to him and also i guess i just need to look at my own body for proof!

Ive already lost 50lbs and there is no extra skin AT ALL. my legs (which is where most of the weight came off) look exactly like how they did before the weight loss except they are smaller haha I doubt the other 40 im going to lose will leave a noticeble effect either.
    so i think my skin will be a- ok. and im sure yours will too :)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you find a solution Please Share =)
    I know if you lose your weight at a slow rate it usually falls off the right way. My best friend who lost over 100 pounds after her 3rd child in less than 6 months, didnt eat, has loose skin on her tummy. She looks about 5 years older than she is. Losing weight the quick way just leaves your skin wrinkled, makes your hair fall out and turns your skin an ugly gray color. Thats what I don't want. It's all about good genes =)
    I heard belly bands work good when your working out.
    I'm in the same boat. Ive had 2 kids and my tummy is my trouble area. I'm PRAYING after I lose my last 30 I'm not going to look like a saggy mess.
  • girwilleatchew
    Options
    owd you lose so much?
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have lost 145 pounds so far and don't have any other than on my arms and that is gradually shrinking. I am making sure I have enough water. I am 37 so at 21, I think you don't have anything to worry.
  • tina990
    tina990 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'll be wearing a lot of long-sleeve clothes. :bigsmile:
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    <
    i have saggy skin! Lots of it! My mom called it adipos tissue! I need it removed unfortunalty. Lost 95 lbs have a goal of 10 more since if i lost the extra skin that would bring me to 130ish.,so 145 is my goal! I had a baby too and she stretched the crap outta me and a c section that gave me that flap! Ugly! Im trying to tone up now. Wish i could see something underneith it all...ohh sigh...lol. Im used to it! Its been with me for 12 yrs! Now to come into some funds for that tummy tuck!